So, is Cambodia more expensive than Thailand? Or not?

ricku

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Absolutely untrue.

Sounds like you were never in any of the real supermarkets let aone any of the western specialty food stores.

I buy western foods in Cambodia to bring back to Thailand.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

only times i've gone to pp is for thai visa purpose,

i went to live in sianookville, but after waking up nearly paralyzed

i searched for as long as i could walk for a better mattress,

none could be found so i shout out to everyone to help me outa the shithole,

and one had mercy and brought me to kk, and that is where i waited,

and waited, and waited, to become 50 to get outa there

1 hour ago, Strawb said:

Need to add costs of he girls as that’s a bigger expense than Rent ?

no need at all, cambodia is so off turning

so the only consideration is how to commit suicide,

which lead me to find out about nembutal,

the nr 1 drug for ending memories & miseries like cambodia.

i still couldnt find it tho, but if you go there, and find it,

i want to buy 20 gram

you are lying through your teeth,

the so called supermarkets in cambodia have nothing beside

candy/chocolate/cookies for sale,

and as for trolleys, theres no need for one,

none in his right mind would stock up on candy,

beside cambodia supermarket owners.

i dont think a single week in my over 3 stinking years there passed by without electric out

What are you talking about ? Stop lying ! I lived in PP for 2 months.

The big supermarkets has fresh milk, fruits, veggies , oatmeal, chicken meat etc, all you need to make a good western meal at home, if you have a kitchen. A lot of the imported stuff comes from Thailand , like Meiji milk.

Theres plenty of good French and Khmer restaurants in PP , no need to go hungry. Unless you're totally broke.

Btw, maybe you should go back to Sweden and seek some professional help .

25 minutes ago, balo said:

What are you talking about ? Stop lying ! I lived in PP for 2 months.

The big supermarkets has fresh milk, fruits, veggies , oatmeal, chicken meat etc, all you need to make a good western meal at home, if you have a kitchen. A lot of the imported stuff comes from Thailand , like Meiji milk.

Theres plenty of good French and Khmer restaurants in PP , no need to go hungry. Unless you're totally broke.

Btw, maybe you should go back to Sweden and seek some professional help .

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/903011-so-is-cambodia-more-expensive-than-thailand-or-not/?do=findComment&comment=13146248

also: did any of those so called supermarkets have caviar like big C/foodland/central have ?

or how about richesse strawberry yogurt ?

or ocean spray cranberry juice ?

or did you just pick whatever candy they got for sale and figured it wasnt going to get any better ? :post-4641-1156694572:

lastly i got so messed up on cambodia mattresses so traveling is no longer an option,

i will burn off fat and then head for surgery

58 minutes ago, poanoi said:

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/903011-so-is-cambodia-more-expensive-than-thailand-or-not/?do=findComment&comment=13146248

also: did any of those so called supermarkets have caviar like big C/foodland/central have ?

or how about richesse strawberry yogurt ?

or ocean spray cranberry juice ?

or did you just pick whatever candy they got for sale and figured it wasnt going to get any better ? :post-4641-1156694572:

lastly i got so messed up on cambodia mattresses so traveling is no longer an option,

i will burn off fat and then head for surgery

good luck with the lobotomy 

On 7/6/2018 at 3:07 PM, poanoi said:

you are lying through your teeth,

the so called supermarkets in cambodia have nothing beside

candy/chocolate/cookies for sale,

and as for trolleys, theres no need for one,

none in his right mind would stock up on candy,

beside cambodia supermarket owners.

i dont think a single week in my over 3 stinking years there passed by without electric out

BULLS#@T:
lucky's or the Aoen supermarket have most of the same  food as Big C at a 20% increase of price

Khmer Fish amok is delicious!!!

3 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

BULLS#@T:
lucky's or the Aoen supermarket have most of the same  food as Big C at a 20% increase of price

Khmer Fish amok is delicious!!!

i dont eat fish lest its smoked salmon with hovmastarsas,

.........and you know where you can shove your cambodia chocolate candy

On the big picture from my opinion, Cambodia is the biggest joke of a place where some claim is better then Thailand.

In some ridiculous mindset, 50 cent beers actually convince people that it is better.

That plus you can smoke or eat weed pizza and buy just about anything at a pharmacy seem to attract the "it is better then Thailand" crowd.

It is still mostly a backpacker cheap charlie 3rd world place.

The overall quality of life is way below Thailand.

But, there is a niche for everyone.  If this place fits yours, then go for it and good luck.

Even if it is cheaper, which I doubt in some areas, it is a much lower level quality of life compared to Thailand.

3 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

On the big picture from my opinion, Cambodia is the biggest joke of a place where some claim is better then Thailand.

In some ridiculous mindset, 50 cent beers actually convince people that it is better.

That plus you can smoke or eat weed pizza and buy just about anything at a pharmacy seem to attract the "it is better then Thailand" crowd.

But, there is a niche for everyone.  If this place fits yours, then go for it and good luck.

Even if it is cheaper, which I doubt in some areas, it is a much lower level quality of life compared to Thailand.

yes, if it had been somewhat comparable in terms of quality & assortment,

i could perhaps have found some measure of contentment in drinking beer there, but as it was, it was too depressing of a place so i quit drinking altogether,

there was zero to party over

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

that may be somewhat true but not everyone moves to SE Asia for a western lifestyle, can stay at home for that

42 minutes ago, phycokiller said:

that may be somewhat true but not everyone moves to SE Asia for a western lifestyle, can stay at home for that

Not really, that is why many come here they cannot afford it at home.

Bottom line, its all about the money honey believe it or not.

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

and how long have u been here now?

I like Cambodia, been traveling there since the late 80's, lived there in 2008/09, have a Khmer gf, own house & land there, (in her name of course)  plus travel there every year, ( am on my way now by car) and enjoy my visits.

BUT, for now, still prefer Thailand

3 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

well you might be out of luck there, theres a reason its cheaper in this part of the world and its not because the people are being generous to you, you get what you pay for

1 hour ago, phycokiller said:

well you might be out of luck there, theres a reason its cheaper in this part of the world and its not because the people are being generous to you, you get what you pay for

well, its a drop in quality, but a large chunk of the savings comes from the lower wages here, like for instance massage, unaffordable in my home country

but here blissfully cheap, even tip accounted for,

and sometimes just as good quality as back home

Last year I did the "Angkor Wat" trip with my (Thai) g/f and 2 friends from Canada. My g/f and I returned to Aranyaprathet by taxi and on the ride we talked to the driver about the differences between living in Cambodia and Thailand.

It seems that while some consumer goods may be a bit cheaper, a lot of other things like gasoline and electricity (and rice apparently) were more expensive as it all came from somewhere else.  The driver seemed to think that most everything sold in Cambodia was imported from somewhere else.

Overall, we got the impression that to actually live there (like a resident, not a tourist) would be more expensive and you'd have a worse infrastructure to deal with.

(Most people mistook my g/f for a Khmer girl which wasn't too surprising as her family lives less than 20 kms from the border and the whole area used to be a part of the Khmer empire at one time. They would immediately start talking to her in Khmer and were surprised when she replied in Thai.)

And it seems the Khmer weddings are LOUD !!!

Holey frik - half the country must have been getting married when we were there as it seemed that every village we went through had at least one wedding party going on. That alone would be enough to sour me on living there !

The whole "illegal" to have headlights on during the day thing is also annoying. 

• 2 weeks later...

image.thumb.jpeg.7cca46abf96dc4d51d413fdd1157e035.jpeg

This is a example of the local menu at a restaurant outside the hotel in Siem Reap  the worst food we have ever eaten in any country I have visited and quit expensive. The is NO comparison with Thai food including street food. The Lok Lak beef was especially disgusting as was the Prahok sauce (fermented river mud fish) even my Thai wife did not eat that.  We spend a day looking at Angor Wat which is really interesting but the rest does not compare to Thailand at all. 

12 hours ago, Nokawou said:

This is a example of the local menu at a restaurant outside the hotel in Siem Reap  the worst food we have ever eaten in any country I have visited and quit expensive. The is NO comparison with Thai food including street food. The Lok Lak beef was especially disgusting as was the Prahok sauce (fermented river mud fish) even my Thai wife did not eat that.  We spend a day looking at Angor Wat which is really interesting but the rest does not compare to Thailand at all. 

looks like you could get a serious bout of food poisoning just by touching that menu. there is some really shitty food in cambodia, I have no idea how they stay in business, but theres plenty thats good as well. one look at that menu and I would have moved on

On 7/3/2018 at 9:03 AM, rhodie said:

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/region_rankings.jsp?title=2018-mid&region=142

Rankings just out and it is noticeable that Thailand is more expensive than Cambodia and Vietnam.

Nonsense - unless you live like a local maybe but the quality of life in Cambodia at the local level is very low. Thailand is cheaper than Cambodia in most respects - housing, food, even fuel (which is about 10% more expensive in Cambodia than in Thailand). Cars (mostly second hand) are cheaper in Cambodia, but depends on the brand/model. Thai made pickups and sedans are cheaper in Thailand than Cambodia (as you would expect) but American imported used cars are cheaper than in Thailand.

Vietnam is the cheapest of the bunch.

On 7/22/2018 at 12:56 AM, Nokawou said:

very expensive...in Thailand no way would you pay the equivalent of more than 100 baht for a plate of fried rice, unless it's a chain restaurant or hotel restaurant. Most good restaurants will charge something like 49-69 baht for fried rice (which is anywhere from 20-50 Baht on the streets or in shopping mall food courts), about half the price of this menu and you will also receive a nice shiny menu not this flimsy piece of laminated paper that was made 20 years ago.

However, unless you go to a very local restaurant where only local diners go, these kind of prices are typical in tourist areas of Cambodia, which is basically anywhere in Siem Reap or the central parts of Phnom Penh. Even at the night market in Siem Reap, I wouldn't go anywhere with less than US$5 in my pocket and for that money I can hopefully buy a plate of fried rice and a fruit shake if I'm lucky - probably I'll end up having to spend around US$5-8 though, which seems excessive in a country where half the population lives on less than US$1-2 a day.

1 hour ago, jimster said:

Nonsense - unless you live like a local maybe but the quality of life in Cambodia at the local level is very low. Thailand is cheaper than Cambodia in most respects - housing, food, even fuel (which is about 10% more expensive in Cambodia than in Thailand). Cars (mostly second hand) are cheaper in Cambodia, but depends on the brand/model. Thai made pickups and sedans are cheaper in Thailand than Cambodia (as you would expect) but American imported used cars are cheaper than in Thailand.

Vietnam is the cheapest of the bunch.

? I suppose you know more.

4 hours ago, jimster said:

very expensive...in Thailand no way would you pay the equivalent of more than 100 baht for a plate of fried rice, unless it's a chain restaurant or hotel restaurant. Most good restaurants will charge something like 49-69 baht for fried rice (which is anywhere from 20-50 Baht on the streets or in shopping mall food courts), about half the price of this menu and you will also receive a nice shiny menu not this flimsy piece of laminated paper that was made 20 years ago.

However, unless you go to a very local restaurant where only local diners go, these kind of prices are typical in tourist areas of Cambodia, which is basically anywhere in Siem Reap or the central parts of Phnom Penh. Even at the night market in Siem Reap, I wouldn't go anywhere with less than US$5 in my pocket and for that money I can hopefully buy a plate of fried rice and a fruit shake if I'm lucky - probably I'll end up having to spend around US$5-8 though, which seems excessive in a country where half the population lives on less than US$1-2 a day.

plenty of restaurants in phnom penh where you would get a good fried rice and a fruit shake for less then $5, or pretty much any meal, chicken marsala, pastas, fish and chips etc.

2 hours ago, phycokiller said:

plenty of restaurants in phnom penh where you would get a good fried rice and a fruit shake for less then $5, or pretty much any meal, chicken marsala, pastas, fish and chips etc.

not really. You'll struggle. Maybe for 6-7 dollars but under 5? Only at a few hole in the wall backpacker joints. The prices on the menu above are typical of tourist/expat areas of Cambodia and rarely will you find cheaper.

20 minutes ago, jimster said:

not really. You'll struggle. Maybe for 6-7 dollars but under 5? Only at a few hole in the wall backpacker joints. The prices on the menu above are typical of tourist/expat areas of Cambodia and rarely will you find cheaper.

see the post above, st 172 is full of good meals for that price

On 7/29/2018 at 8:23 PM, phycokiller said:

see the post above, st 172 is full of good meals for that price

I'm not saying it's impossible. I'm saying in most places in PP, Siem Reap and Sihanoukville, if you do manage to find a decent meal and drink for under $5, it'll probably be one of the cheaper things on the menu and just under $5, for example $4 or $4.50. I still would not leave my hotel without at least $10 in my pocket for a meal.

I was surprised that it cost $3 for a fish amok at a hawker stall in the Siem Reap night market. Not only wasn't it a very big dish; there was also nothing cheaper on the menu. Would have thought with all the backpackers I could find something for $1.50. BTW I'm not a cheapskate like some people - I'm happy to spend $10 for a meal when traveling, in fact, that tends to be my average. Just that I would have expected Cambodia to be cheaper, but maybe it's because I tend to stick to the tourist/expat areas. If I could speak/read/write Khmer I'd be happy venturing into more local areas like I do in Thailand and Laos because I can speak these languages.

The only thing that is really cheap are the fruit shakes - only US$1 on the street.

Archived