Misbehaving Chinese tourists anger Chiang Mai locals

webfact

Misbehaving Chinese tourists anger Chiang Mai locals
Thaivisa Reporters

cmc.jpg
Image: Dailynews.co.th

CHIANG MAI: -- Locals in Chiang Mai are up in arms after a pair of female Chinese tourists were seen acting disrespectfully at the historic Ta Pae gate.

In the latest in a series of incidents local residents saw the young tourists doing handstands and placing their splayed feet on the sacred monument.

Passersby watched angrily as the oblivious tourists snapped souvenir photos on Monday. Finally after several complaints a soldier patrolling the area nearby approached the tourists and shouted at them to stop their disrespectful actions.

People in Chiang Mai are pressuring local authorities to get tough on Chinese tourists for poor behaviour including disrespecting important monuments and sites as well as noisy belligerent behaviour in restaurants, restrooms and many other public places.

Source: Daily News

tvn.png
-- 2016-03-15

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its a bit much of the Thai to expect every visitor to the country to understand their sometimes over the top sensitivities to feet and their other cultural nuances.

The sign pictured in the photograph asks people not to disrespect the old wall, but how many tourists can read Thai, if they want people to show respect to a wall, then perhaps the signs asking for that respect should be in a language other than Thai.

With the Thais almost pathological obsession for taking selfies at each and every opportunity, one would have thought they would have let this incident pass without comment, but we all know how the Thai will use any incident to have a go at foreigners, even as they are trousering the profits.

....the Irony.....

Thai tourists behaving disrespectfully in Japan face public complaint....

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/04/01/thai-embassy-tokyo-issues-good-manner-rules-thai-tourists

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/813831-thai-embassy-in-tokyo-issues-good-manner-rules-for-thai-tourists/

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2014/11/21/national/embassy-releases-dos-and-donts-for-thai-tourists-when-visiting-japan/#.VueeFIT5Phh

The reality is - When Groups of people (of any nationality) visit other nations en-masse they become noticeable...

....for the most part its the minority that ruin it for the majority.

Be it Westernes parading their hookers around the streets of Thailand, British on 'tour' Magaluf, Stag (Batchelor) parties in Talin, Chinese Tourists in Chiang Mai or Thai Tourists in Tokyo.... with support in numbers the poorly behaved behave more poorly and the group becomes more noticeable...

I saw this on TV this morning and for the ...th time was searching my calendar for April 1st.

For ..ck sake it is a wall (and she took her shoes off !)

As a postscript I would like to add that it is a pity that the govt/locals didn't respect the original wall - which they obliterated approx. 20-25 years ago, ie. knocked completely down. This one is a "fake".

I went to an English language film this weekend at Kad Suan Kaew. Yeah, one of the few times they've showed a movie with an English-language soundtrack. I was in the theater with just two other people -- a young couple a few rows ahead of me. When the King song came on, complete with the ancient grainy film, I stood at attention as normal, but the young western couple stayed seated, munching on their popcorn like it was just another advert. No sign of ushers in the theater, but I knew they were lurking outside. I thought of saying something to the couple after the film -- perhaps they were tourists and didn't know any better, but they didn't make any eye contact on the way out and I just figured, "oh what the heck. It's up to the Thai people to enforce their own rules about what they consider respectful."

I went to an English language film this weekend at Kad Suan Kaew. Yeah, one of the few times they've showed a movie with an English-language soundtrack. I was in the theater with just two other people -- a young couple a few rows ahead of me. When the King song came on, complete with the ancient grainy film, I stood at attention as normal, but the young western couple stayed seated, munching on their popcorn like it was just another advert. No sign of ushers in the theater, but I knew they were lurking outside. I thought of saying something to the couple after the film -- perhaps they were tourists and didn't know any better, but they didn't make any eye contact on the way out and I just figured, "oh what the heck. It's up to the Thai people to enforce their own rules about what they consider respectful."

Did it ask in English to stand up in respect.. No then Thailand's fault not the couple's!

Did it ask in English to stand up in respect.. No then Thailand's fault not the couple's!

Wouldn't surprise me if a Thai couple were on their own, they'd stay seated. My wife doesn't react at home when the national anthem is played on tv at 8 am.

The sacred monument? What BS.

Not all foreigners understand the protocol of standing in a theater for the King's Song. If you see this, prompt them; they will stand.

However, today at Tae Pae Gate (on the outer road), the police were stopping drivers/motorcyclists for license checks and helmets. Was this their reaction to the handstanding?

....the Irony.....

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/04/01/thai-embassy-tokyo-issues-good-manner-rules-thai-tourists

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/813831-thai-embassy-in-tokyo-issues-good-manner-rules-for-thai-tourists/

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2014/11/21/national/embassy-releases-dos-and-donts-for-thai-tourists-when-visiting-japan/#.VueeFIT5Phh

The reality is - When Groups of people (of any nationality) visit other nations en-masse they become noticeable...

Be it Westernes parading their hookers around the streets of Thailand, British on 'tour' Magaluf, Stag (Batchelor) parties in Talin, Chinese Tourists in Chiang Mai or Thai Tourists in Tokyo.... with support in numbers the poorly behaved behave more poorly and the group becomes more noticeable...

Not only Japanese, Chinese and Thais.

Ten years ago I went in and out of China (from Hong Kong into Shanghai and return) at least 1 maybe 2 times every week. Many times I saw loud Americans speak rudely, abruptly in full American slang to immigration officers, airport check-in staff etc. On several occasions other Americans quickly scolding them.

One example: "I don't have to do this for check-in at LAX!" Another American waiting in the line says "The check-in girl probably doesn't even know where LAX is situated let alone know their check-in procedures and in any case it's not relevant, your in China." Then on occasions "...but I'm an American citizen..."

That 'sacred wall' is a recently produced artifact to attract tourists. Want to see an old 'wall'. Drive down to Kampandin, a 'sacred wall' lined by massage shops and other business that Thais could care less about. Get real.

What a load of rubbish. dry.png

....the Irony.....

Not only Japanese, Chinese and Thais.

Ten years ago I went in and out of China (from Hong Kong into Shanghai and return) at least 1 maybe 2 times every week. Many times I saw loud Americans speak rudely, abruptly in full American slang to immigration officers, airport check-in staff etc. On several occasions other Americans quickly scolding them.

One example: "I don't have to do this for check-in at LAX!" Another American waiting in the line says "The check-in girl probably doesn't even know where LAX is situated let alone know their check-in procedures and in any case it's not relevant, your in China." Then on occasions "...but I'm an American citizen..."

Bad bad...loud, pesky Americans. <looks at passport> Nevermind... whistling.gif

"To the best of my knowledge, I will attest that I have never done a handstand at Thapae Gate. <Now, where have I put those pictures of Thai men peeing on the walls of Wats?>

Wasn't that wall rebuilt recently - if so then how is it historic? wink.png

....they used very old bricks.

No they didn't ! Only old style bricks.

But, but, the dirt to make the bricks is older than...dirt whistling.gif

Archived