Misbehaving Chinese tourists anger Chiang Mai locals

webfact

Oh Dear, now you cant stand on your hands whistling.gif

So much for hand stands, shoulder stands, and head stands in yoga. Pointing your feet in the air offends the Thai cultural sensibilities. <note to self: must be more politically correct - (not)>.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to an English language film this weekend at Kad Suan Kaew. Yeah, one of the few times they've showed a movie with an English-language soundtrack. I was in the theater with just two other people -- a young couple a few rows ahead of me. When the King song came on, complete with the ancient grainy film, I stood at attention as normal, but the young western couple stayed seated, munching on their popcorn like it was just another advert. No sign of ushers in the theater, but I knew they were lurking outside. I thought of saying something to the couple after the film -- perhaps they were tourists and didn't know any better, but they didn't make any eye contact on the way out and I just figured, "oh what the heck. It's up to the Thai people to enforce their own rules about what they consider respectful."

Did it ask in English to stand up in respect.. No then Thailand's fault not the couple's!

Yes, there was a notice at the beginning in English asking people to stand in respect. It crossed my mind that maybe the couple didn't read English, but then why were they sitting in an English-language film.

I get, though, that standards are slipping with regard to the 6 pm song on the TV/radio. At the health club, the Thai staff just turns down the radio at 6 pm, rather than expecting everyone to get off the machines and stand at attention. But that's not the same as the King song, is it?

I went to an English language film this weekend at Kad Suan Kaew. Yeah, one of the few times they've showed a movie with an English-language soundtrack. I was in the theater with just two other people -- a young couple a few rows ahead of me. When the King song came on, complete with the ancient grainy film, I stood at attention as normal, but the young western couple stayed seated, munching on their popcorn like it was just another advert. No sign of ushers in the theater, but I knew they were lurking outside. I thought of saying something to the couple after the film -- perhaps they were tourists and didn't know any better, but they didn't make any eye contact on the way out and I just figured, "oh what the heck. It's up to the Thai people to enforce their own rules about what they consider respectful."

Did it ask in English to stand up in respect.. No then Thailand's fault not the couple's!

Yes, there was a notice at the beginning in English asking people to stand in respect. It crossed my mind that maybe the couple didn't read English, but then why were they sitting in an English-language film.

I get, though, that standards are slipping with regard to the 6 pm song on the TV/radio. At the health club, the Thai staff just turns down the radio at 6 pm, rather than expecting everyone to get off the machines and stand at attention. But that's not the same as the King song, is it?

In my university canteen this morning, everyone stood for the national anthem except one female student. I was quite surprised that others didn't scold her as it was clear she didn't give two hoots.

In my university canteen this morning, everyone stood for the national anthem except one female student. I was quite surprised that others didn't scold her as it was clear she didn't give two hoots.

I know why, but it's against the law for me to post the reasons.

I am not defending the Chinese behavior but everyone in the world do know the Thai culture that head is the most important part of the body and feet are consider to be dirty and low. There should be a sign or some kind of information to the tourist and explain the situation.

And coinciding with the day on the day that the TAT announced "with pride" the stats that in 2015 there was a 70% increases in Chinese tourists to the LOS.

As to what constitutes a 70% increase - perhaps they are hand-standing on our gullibility.

Ahh,Chiang Mai smokey one day, precious the next!

My experience...the Thais of Chiang Mai are a bit more rigid and intolerant than Thais in other parts of the country...

I believe many Thais there resent foreigner presence...and are quick to judge and condemn...

re

The sign pictured in the photograph asks people not to disrespect the old wall, but how many tourists can read Thai, if they want people to show respect to a wall, then perhaps the signs asking for that respect should be in a language other than Thai.

if thats what the signs say there are three of them !

and i first saw them on 27 feb

i thought they were telling thais to stop setting up stalls at thaphae gate

sunday market coz no stalls have set up there since on a sunday !

dave2

ps ... ive got pics but cant post them in news

Its a bit much of the Thai to expect every visitor to the country to understand their sometimes over the top sensitivities to feet and their other cultural nuances.

The sign pictured in the photograph asks people not to disrespect the old wall, but how many tourists can read Thai, if they want people to show respect to a wall, then perhaps the signs asking for that respect should be in a language other than Thai.

With the Thais almost pathological obsession for taking selfies at each and every opportunity, one would have thought they would have let this incident pass without comment, but we all know how the Thai will use any incident to have a go at foreigners, even as they are trousering the profits.

How about the disrespect shown to Chinese tourists? We had a family of four Chinese people visit us: The taxi company clearly stated 200 baht fare. When they got to our moo baan, that 200 suddenly became 200 per person and to add insult to injury they were left on the street outside. They then went to Mae Win to see the elephants and were charged 25 baht for that standard 5 baht bottle of water. We have had further incidents too. So respect and good behaviour, in my book, works both ways.

My experience...the Thais of Chiang Mai are a bit more rigid and intolerant than Thais in other parts of the country...

I believe many Thais there resent foreigner presence...and are quick to judge and condemn...

The general consensus I've come to understand from (Non-Chiang Mai) Thai's is that they most hate Foreigners,

Lanna-ites come 2nd on trustworthiness and work ethic and Pattaya-ites come in 3rd.

Considering Pattaya is a "ring in hub" for day labor/ workers from most other provinces, this pecking order seems quite reasonable.

I never did get around to doing the Survey Monkey on the Lanna rankings of others!!!

Imagine what would happen here if Thailand was a more accessible to Syrians

"In the latest in a series of incidents local residents saw the young tourists doing handstands and placing their splayed feet on the sacred monument."

Sacred monument to the sacred Buddha of Tourism. It was built in the 80's just to attract tourists. cheesy.gif The sacred moat that's so sacred that Thais defacate and bathe in it. Oh, and lets not forget the sacred lights inside the moat at Tha Pae that electrocute to death the handleful of tourists a year that are fool hearted enough to take a late night drunken swim.

I live in Chiang Rai, visit friends in Chiang Mai often, and I have never experienced this hatred of Foreigners which some of you claim exists here in the North. I have found people quite tolerant and there is usually a very good reason when they don't like someone.

I live in Chiang Rai, visit friends in Chiang Mai often, and I have never experienced this hatred of Foreigners which some of you claim exists here in the North. I have found people quite tolerant and there is usually a very good reason when they don't like someone.

Agreed.. Try dealing with Southern Thais and report back..

I generally find people up here pretty easy going and agreeable.. Probably more so than my home country on a superficial level.. Ready to help and assist, usually greeting with a genuine smile.. Etc.

I am and always will remain a farang outsider, but here I feel more than just tolerated.

Its a bit much of the Thai to expect every visitor to the country to understand their sometimes over the top sensitivities to feet and their other cultural nuances.

With the Thais almost pathological obsession for taking selfies at each and every opportunity, one would have thought they would have let this incident pass without comment, but we all know how the Thai will use any incident to have a go at foreigners, even as they are trousering the profits.

How about the disrespect shown to Chinese tourists? We had a family of four Chinese people visit us: The taxi company clearly stated 200 baht fare. When they got to our moo baan, that 200 suddenly became 200 per person and to add insult to injury they were left on the street outside. They then went to Mae Win to see the elephants and were charged 25 baht for that standard 5 baht bottle of water. We have had further incidents too. So respect and good behaviour, in my book, works both ways.

Well, if you're not a Thai, then you're a foreigner. Welcome to the world of we farangs Chinese family of 4. thumbsup.gif

"... doing handstands and placing their splayed feet on the sacred monument."

Only for the sake of curiosity, can anyone tell me what it is about the history of

ThaPae Gate that makes it "sacred"?

Wasn't that wall rebuilt recently - if so then how is it historic? wink.png

....they used very old bricks.

No they didn't ! Only old style bricks.

Now we can blame the Japanese, they pulled the wall down during WW11 to use the bricks for road building. And I think the result was an improvement.

Wasn't that wall rebuilt recently - if so then how is it historic? wink.png

....they used very old bricks.

No they didn't ! Only old style bricks.

Now we can blame the Japanese, they pulled the wall down during WW11 to use the bricks for road building. And I think the result was an improvement.

Well the Japanese pulled down the majority but not Tapae Gate. If I remember correctly the governor responsible was the one who died in the Lauda Air Crash

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lauda_Air_Flight_004

Sacred monument to the sacred Buddha of Tourism. It was built in the 80's just to attract tourists. cheesy.gif The sacred moat that's so sacred that Thais defacate and bathe in it. Oh, and lets not forget the sacred lights inside the moat at Tha Pae that electrocute to death the handleful of tourists a year that are fool hearted enough to take a late night drunken swim.

Now come on, Thais dont defecate or bathe in the moat and no one has been electrocuted in the moat .

This story is also about Tapae gate and not the moat

The original "sacred wall" is not the one we see today The actual wall rebuild in the early 1960. Difficult to find the actual facts but someone in the past posted photo of the reconstruction and detailed information. I can not find it again. It also stated that many bricks from the original fortification around the moat were used by the Japanese during the Second war as construction material ti build some road towards Pai - Mae Hong Son,

I agree with Mustyjack.. If Thais want tourists to understand what is sacred and what isn't then they need to tell them.. The Chinese have got a bigger and better wall anyway! If I remember a Thai actually carved their initials on that one..

Ssssssssssssshhhh

w00t.gif

I remember when they cut down all these beautiful trees and built this fugly new wall with new bricks around the late 1980s. Absolutely nothing sacred other than to perhaps certain denizens towards the north of the gate in the very wee hours as it saved them a walk behind a local temple wall up a small soi across the street. But in my defense that was before I got married and I was well beyond three sheets to the wind drunk. In Durkheim's dichotomy, Thapae Gate is far to the side of the profane world, nothing sacred to speak of.

I am not defending the Chinese behavior but everyone in the world do know the Thai culture that head is the most important part of the body and feet are consider to be dirty and low. There should be a sign or some kind of information to the tourist and explain the situation.

I agree, I don't know if there is such a sign at the airport , everyone should learn "the rules" here . The first time I traveled to Thailand I read a guide book on the plane and learned about how to behave the "Thai way"

There is not something really disrespectful in that picture, but i find it easy to believe that many Thais are tired of dealing with big groups of tourists, in this case, Chinese; but i noticed that big groups of tourists are annoying anyway and anywhere, whichever nationality they are.

Archived