Misbehaving Chinese tourists anger Chiang Mai locals

webfact

I went to an English language film this weekend at Kad Suan Kaew. Yeah, one of the few times they've showed a movie with an English-language soundtrack. I was in the theater with just two other people -- a young couple a few rows ahead of me. When the King song came on, complete with the ancient grainy film, I stood at attention as normal, but the young western couple stayed seated, munching on their popcorn like it was just another advert. No sign of ushers in the theater, but I knew they were lurking outside. I thought of saying something to the couple after the film -- perhaps they were tourists and didn't know any better, but they didn't make any eye contact on the way out and I just figured, "oh what the heck. It's up to the Thai people to enforce their own rules about what they consider respectful."

Did it ask in English to stand up in respect.. No then Thailand's fault not the couple's!

Do you actually think the couple didn't know, even though everyone else was standing up? The very first time I was in a Thai movie house I immediately knew what to do when I saw everyone else stand up when this film of the king came on the screen. It only requires common sense and common decency.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to an English language film this weekend at Kad Suan Kaew. Yeah, one of the few times they've showed a movie with an English-language soundtrack. I was in the theater with just two other people -- a young couple a few rows ahead of me. When the King song came on, complete with the ancient grainy film, I stood at attention as normal, but the young western couple stayed seated, munching on their popcorn like it was just another advert. No sign of ushers in the theater, but I knew they were lurking outside. I thought of saying something to the couple after the film -- perhaps they were tourists and didn't know any better, but they didn't make any eye contact on the way out and I just figured, "oh what the heck. It's up to the Thai people to enforce their own rules about what they consider respectful."

Did it ask in English to stand up in respect.. No then Thailand's fault not the couple's!
Do you actually think the couple didn't know, even though everyone else was standing up? The very first time I was in a Thai movie house I immediately knew what to do when I saw everyone else stand up when this film of the king came on the screen. It only requires common sense and common decency.

Did you read? Nancy said she was the only other person there and behind them.... common decency ? I am often at Kad Luang at 8am, when the Nat. anthem is played, it is interesting to see, if people respond. Seems if one persons stops what they are doing, otheres will follow but if not there is often an agreement to ignore it and keep on setting up shop or whatever. Same with the handstand at the gate, if some hyper indignant local had not complained to the army occupier the incident would have passed without notice.

I am not defending the Chinese behavior but everyone in the world do know the Thai culture that head is the most important part of the body and feet are consider to be dirty and low. There should be a sign or some kind of information to the tourist and explain the situation.

I agree, I don't know if there is such a sign at the airport , everyone should learn "the rules" here . The first time I traveled to Thailand I read a guide book on the plane and learned about how to behave the "Thai way"

Did it say in the guide book to NOT do handstands against a WALL! It's a wall. And by all accounts not even the original wall..

Wouldn't surprise me if a Thai couple were on their own, they'd stay seated. My wife doesn't react at home when the national anthem is played on tv at 8 am.

The law states that you have to stand up and show respect only in public. At home you can do whatever pleases you.

This reminds me of how when I emigrated to New Zealand in 1968, the then national anthem 'God save our gracious queen' was played in cinemas - I can't remember if it was at the beginning or at the end of the show. Eventually, as time went on and more and more people ignored the anthem and remained seated, the practice was abolished.

Wouldn't surprise me if a Thai couple were on their own, they'd stay seated. My wife doesn't react at home when the national anthem is played on tv at 8 am.

The law states that you have to stand up and show respect only in public. At home you can do whatever pleases you.

That doesn't make sense. Either you respect or you don't. Shouldn't matter whether anyone sees you. Oops, my bad, we're in Faceland facepalm.gif

And it shouldn't need to be a law!

That doesn't make sense. Either you respect or you don't. Shouldn't matter whether anyone sees you. Oops, my bad, we're in Faceland facepalm.gif

And it shouldn't need to be a law!

Couldn't agree more, but what I wrote is the sad reality.

certainly that's not as bad as the hidden camera footage that was shown on one of those late night news programs about a week ago of Chinese defecating on the grounds of Wat Rong Khun in Chiang Rai! that was disgusting. dirty people! they also showed footage of them camping on the grounds of other temples, throwing out their dirty dish water, children urinating, before the police came to kick them out.

certainly that's not as bad as the hidden camera footage that was shown on one of those late night news programs about a week ago of Chinese defecating on the grounds of in Chiang Rai! that was disgusting. dirty people! they also showed footage of them camping on the grounds of other temples, throwing out their dirty dish water, children urinating, before the police came to kick them out.

Are you talking about the White "Temple" the temple that isn't actually a temple and didn't have enough toilets because they (the toilets) would get in the way of the vision! This is basically a privately owned art installation that charges 50b entry.

I saw a farang with his smokin' hot bar fine walking around the Big Gold Buddha in Pattaya. Normally the Thai girls cover up at the entrance.

She is in the background of all my Big Gold Buddha photos. :)

How do you know who the lady was

Are you speaking from experience

a sign for tourists would be in Thai because signs are always done in Thai. Kammueang is not a written language at all. this is Chiangmai. the only time I have ever heard Thai is when a farlang visits or someone leaves a TV set on, but signs are always in Thai. speaking of language stuff and visitors in Chiangmai..... what might it be like if it's gaggles of Bangladeshians... along with Bangkokians.... instead of Chinese.... ***when***, and not if for sure, it's not just 2 tap water plants in Bangkok knocked out by saltwater as it is now.... but problems of a different kind, let's say. India and Pakistan take their border security very seriously.... and it's easy to still recall those photos from this just past Monday of West Antartica.... at least for me it is.

RE: lanna script. I made my own graphemes, I took the 30 something Thai vowels and made them into 9.... when it's a long duration vowel I put a box around that morpheme... and I always put the vowel where it has to be, not before such as the 'i' in "Thai". and if it is not mid tone, I always put a tone marker of which I have 6 so I can write KM as well as Thai and my village language which is "Luwaa"..... and got rid of Sor Soo, Sor Rue See and only use Sor Sua.. the same for all the other redundant Thai consonant graphemes..... the result is VERY easy to study with.. and 100% deadly pronunciation. I even think now that maybe a big reason Thai folks are so non literate is that Bangkok Thai, and even more so for the everyday spoken languages in Thailand.... do not have literary versions.. even Chinese and Vietnamese which are tonal do not try to write 100% phonetically. and English of course is actually two langauges, one for expedious speaking & listening and the other (with only 5 vowel graphemes, which is hilarious.. you know, a e i o u) designed for reading and writing. Same for Chinese etc but Thai... no... they write exactly what they say. it would be as if Englsh were written using IPA symbols. OMG!

a sign for tourists would be in Thai because signs are always done in Thai. Kammueang is not a written language at all. this is Chiangmai.

Although off topic, you could google "northern thai language", "lanna language", or "kham muang language" and you'll learn differently. Although not all that common around here, I see Lanna Thai written on historical monuments, historical signs, in various temples, etc.

Back on topic, the uproar over the girl's antics at Thaphae Gate is, in my opinion, due mainly to her having her bare feet against the wall. And, while perhaps you can't blame the Chinese and other foreigners for not being able to read Thai, they ought to be held to account for doing some minimal research before visiting another country and, in this case, they would have easily learned how not to point or use their feet to avoid behavior that Thais consider rather rude.

HerbalEd, on 16 Mar 2016 - 04:22, said:
casualbiker, on 15 Mar 2016 - 12:52, said:
NancyL, on 15 Mar 2016 - 12:48, said:

If you read NancyL post you will see that she was the only other person there, if she was siting behind the couple in question how would they have seen "everyone else" standing?

Back on topic, the uproar over the girl's antics at Thaphae Gate is, in my opinion, due mainly to her having her bare feet against the wall. And, while perhaps you can't blame the Chinese and other foreigners for not being able to read Thai, they ought to be held to account for doing some minimal research before visiting another country and, in this case, they would have easily learned how not to point or use their feet to avoid behavior that Thais consider rather rude.

Yes because its obvious that feet on bricks is so insulting..

Yes because its obvious that feet on bricks is so insulting..

Somewhat of a silly comment. Nobody is suggesting that a given country's customs and cultural habits are "obvious" to other countries' citizens. Any foreigner who did some very minimal research about the customs of Thailand would/should have known better (and/or would have known that many Thais would take offense to the girl's actions).

In the event you don't know and/or actually care to know about how Thais view various actions with one's feet, simply google "Thai feet rude" and you'll find a slew of articles about the topic.

The thing is.. Even googling that, yes Thais are sensitive about feet.. Pointing feet at people, using feet to touch or switch something.. But doing a hand stand ?? I mean sure I can see the connection but its vague.. Google Thailand handstand rude and you get nothing really..

To me its just another case of venting and feigned outrage which allows them to have a brief pop at the 'uncouth' chinese.. While Somchai picks his nose..

Guess you missed the part about having one's feet elevated let alone touching something with bare feet. It's the latter that is the problem, not the <deleted>' handstand.

Would we consider this silly in the west? Sure....but we ain't in Kansas anymore, Dorothy....

HerbalEd, on 16 Mar 2016 - 04:22, said:
casualbiker, on 15 Mar 2016 - 12:52, said:
NancyL, on 15 Mar 2016 - 12:48, said:

If you read NancyL post you will see that she was the only other person there, if she was siting behind the couple in question how would they have seen "everyone else" standing?

I think it usually says "Please pay homage to HM the King", which really doesn't mean lay back and munch on popcorn does it? biggrin.png

I think it usually says "Please pay homage to HM the King", which really doesn't mean lay back and munch on popcorn does it? biggrin.png

Last time I went to the movies here, I noticed quite lot of "locals" waiting until all that was over before entering the auditorium....

Archived