NCPO proposes an outsider prime minister and six ex-officio senators

webfact

NCPO proposes an outsider prime minister and six ex-officio senators

138-1-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The supreme commander, the defence permanent secretary, commanders of the three armed forces and the national police chief will be ex-officio members of the non-elected Senate under a proposal submitted to the Constitution Drafting Committee by the National Council for Peace and Order.

Under the proposal signed by NCPO secretary-general, General Thirachai Narkvanich, also the army commander-in-chief, there will be 250 senators, instead of 200 as earlier believed, to be appointed by an impartial selection committee comprising 8-10 members.

The non-elected Senate will remain in the office for five years to make sure that the reform roadmap and the national strategic plan are implemented by the next government and to counter-balance the elected MPs to prevent the politicians from using their majority vote in the parliament for their vested interests.

In the proposal, the NCPO proposed sections 83 and 154 of the provisional chapter regarding the nomination of the prime minister by political parties eligible to submit three nominees for the premiership post should be put on hold during the transition period.

A well-informed political source said this means that the next prime minister will be an outsider who is not a politician.

As for the election system, the NCPO has proposed the mixed-member proportional representation system for the next election.

The NCPO assured in the proposal that it has no intention whatsoever to stay on in power and would step aside in accordance with the political roadmap.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/155233

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-03-16

No intention to let go of power, there never was, they believe they are superior to the majority, they have no idea what they are doing except with the aim to maintain their own lifestyle while happy to keep the majority poor to be used and abused by their cohorts and associates.

In 10 years Thailand will be Asia's failure and the military will be to blame. Of course they will blame everyone else.

This really is a strange situation.

Let me get this straight , these guys came to power with force , appointed themselves care takers .

And now decide they wish to influence the Nation indirectly in processes.? ( Into the coming years)

That's fine , but call a space a spade.

So international bodies can assess if such decisions are within their acceptable guidelines for human rights etc.

Only in Thailand is the spin so dramatic that the powers that be can not be questioned .

This is simply a continued military influence on the Nation regardless of promised handing overs.

While I acknowledge some good has been served in cleaning up aspects of undesired forces.

The Nation seems to be drifting alarmingly towards a China like state and the propaganda and polls reflect as much.

Unless this is challenged the Thais will meekly loose their rights as a people eventually and condemned to a Friday night spin account of things.

Westerners no doubt will be educated to Thais as the cause and affect of all economic woes when sanctions are forced upon a stubborn Junta eventually.

Perhaps a republican in the US will seize power and stamp more authority in South East Asian politics ?

The current US approach might not be to the Thai PM s liking (or the Monks that protest outside its embassy .)

But try all this against a Donald Trump and the reaction could be very very more dynamic .

Trump will call it out as an attempt to be sneaky and influence power ...a current pet hatred of his.

The establishment etc.

He will perceive them as an easy example to strangle ..

The old Chinese proverb of killing the Monkey to scare the dog ( China ) might apply.

One thing is certain less tolerance will be given .

And those monks protesting outside American embassies should consider the consequences if that guy is running the show.

They should pray for a Clinton win or their days might well be numbered.

Footnote incase people think it can't happen ...

Rubio congratulates Donald Trump on his victory, who is booed by Rubio's supporters at the mention of his name.

"There's nothing more you could have done," Rubio told followers and says America is within a tsunami.

He is interrupted by a protester yelling "Trump for president."

Make the charter highly unpopular to be voted down and re-written again or charter win in the referendum with a military filled upper house and an outside prime minister. Either way, the military win. Think time to resign ourselves to that fate and face a pretty bleak future and a failed economy. Hold on to your seat as next few years will be a bumpy & wide ride.

it seems they're doing their level best to make this Charter unsupportable.

A coincidence, I wonder?

it's a win-win for the general.

These guys are baboons (no offence to the poster of that name, please) and I am starting to believe that they are so stupid that they really really really do not care what anyone else thinks.

The question will be : how do they sugar-coat this for the international community and continue to claim some kind of "democracy"?

well... surprise, surprise

"to counter-balance the elected MPs to prevent the politicians from using their majority vote in the parliament for their vested interests."

​translated : "counter-balance to OUR vested interests"

Let me get this straight , these guys came to power with force , appointed themselves care takers .

And now decide they wish to influence the Nation indirectly in processes.? ( Into the coming years)

So international bodies can assess if such decisions are within their acceptable guidelines for human rights etc.

Only in Thailand is the spin so dramatic that the powers that be can not be questioned .

This is simply a continued military influence on the Nation regardless of promised handing overs.

While I acknowledge some good has been served in cleaning up aspects of undesired forces.

The Nation seems to be drifting alarmingly towards a China like state and the propaganda and polls reflect as much.

Unless this is challenged the Thais will meekly loose their rights as a people eventually and condemned to a Friday night spin account of things.

Westerners no doubt will be educated to Thais as the cause and affect of all economic woes when sanctions are forced upon a stubborn Junta eventually.

Perhaps a republican in the US will seize power and stamp more authority in South East Asian politics ?

The current US approach might not be to the Thai PM s liking (or the Monks that protest outside its embassy .)

But try all this against a Donald Trump and the reaction could be very very more dynamic .

Trump will call it out as an attempt to be sneaky and influence power ...a current pet hatred of his.

The establishment etc.

The old Chinese proverb of killing the Monkey to scare the dog ( China ) might apply.

And those monks protesting outside American embassies should consider the consequences if that guy is running the show.

Rubio congratulates Donald Trump on his victory, who is booed by Rubio's supporters at the mention of his name.

"There's nothing more you could have done," Rubio told followers and says America is within a tsunami.

Your rant is hardly worth a reply except to say that the last time a US President wanted to interfere directly in the affairs of a South East Asian country it all ended in tears.

The next PM will be an outsider who is not a politician so what exactly constitutes an ' outsider " ?

As for nominees to be the next PM, any suggestions ? cheesy.gif

Well the current PM is not a politician so that could include him. Just mentioning in case no-one including him, had thought of that.

it seems they're doing their level best to make this Charter unsupportable.

A coincidence, I wonder?

it's a win-win for the general.

These guys are baboons (no offence to the poster of that name, please) and I am starting to believe that they are so stupid that they really really really do not care what anyone else thinks.

The question will be : how do they sugar-coat this for the international community and continue to claim some kind of "democracy"?

Why do orangutans always seem to get a free pass on Thaivisa?

"The question will be : how do they sugar-coat this for the international community and continue to claim some kind of "democracy"?"

An easy one to answer: 'Thailand is of course unique and a special case.' If that doesn't work then there is the tried and true 'Foreigners can't possibly understand...'

They don't in any case particularly give a crap about what anyone else thinks providing the correct people hold the power.

According the Bangkok Post this morning the PM said that if the CDC rejects the junta proposals then the proposals will be re-submitted until they are accepted. However, it reads as though the same un-adjusted proposals will be submitted each time but I do admit that's my interpretation and it could be wrong. If right though, this really amounts to a kind of bullying technique. I also read into that it could delay the referendum continually (which I think has already been pushed into August) and therefore the general election date might suffer too. So it seems to be that 'Give the army power in the senate or risk continuous delay'. Presumably, the CDC might invoke Official Judgement assuming the CDC have the power to do so.

As far as D. Trump is concerned I have now real knowledge of his policies etc. but I did see him an interview once on TV. This was prior to the campaigning. He said that he wanted to see jobs which are completed abroad (can't remember but I think he quoted Steel woks) and then imported, to return to the American mainland. If that is the case then we might see ASEAN suffer.

The establishment etc.

Your rant is hardly worth a reply except to say that the last time a US President wanted to interfere directly in the affairs of a South East Asian country it all ended in tears.

Well junta fans aside....

It's not so far fetched given statements from front runners like Trump demanding we ""fix"" the imbalances of trade with China .

The South China Sea pressures.

The anger.

Passive administrations like Obama might tolerate Thailand sailing towards the arms of China .

But a Trump administration (yes could happen now) might not be so jolly.

He needs bold statements.

I wasn't suggesting military intervention .

But sanctions.

Hard ones.

And a timetable to hold open elections or more of the same.

Thailand is a link in the ASEAN chain.

America wants to make sure it holds cards .

It can't afford Chinese expansion in that region.

And China would seek foot holds .

Possibly Naval bases and its military .

The Thais are buying weapons from Russia now.

A hawkish president might take a more dim view than our rainbow friendly Obama .

If Trump is a tenth of what he is saying.

Hang on to your hat.

And that's not just my rant .

World leaders are worried this guy in charge of the mightiest military in the world might get very pissed off at statements.

I dare the monks to show up after January outside an American Embassy in Bangkok burning flags.

( if Trump gets sworn in)

The whole world is about to be shaken up if this guy wins office.

The generals ego will get one big joint.

And the Chinese dreams of setting up enclaves in the sea as their own will be turned into a horror movie

Archived