Never buying KCF eggs again

canopy

I use egg shells for composting. But the geniuses at KCF decided that every single individual egg must have a plastic sticker glued to it even though they are sold as a pack with KCF advertising on the outside. Hardly something you want at all, let alone in your compost pile. So buyer beware--when you buy eggs from KCF, you are the one that pays for these stickers and promote unwanted plastic waste.

while i admire the sentiment, i wonder if a small sticker on an egg is necessarily the place to take your stand.

there are far greater abuses in packaging out there.

of course every little bit helps.

For sure packaging abuse abounds, but this one isn't about quantity but rather it brings things to yet another level of stupidity. The stickers are tough to remove making it a time waster and deterrent to try composting egg shells. Also whether the glue they use is non-toxic is a question mark. I am not comfortable using the KCF egg/plastic/glue combination things for cooking or composting. You know how sometimes a piece of shell can land in the pan. Normally harmless, but not if the plastic and glue go in.

I'm confused, easily done! To me KFC stands for Kentucky Fried Chicken. Do you buy your eggs at KFC? Normally you would but eggs at the grocery store. I buy duck eggs from a lady in the village that raises them, no stickers, but a lot of mud and crap to wash off before they go in the fridge.

• 3 weeks later...

Canopy... I truly sympathise with your problem... maybe you could buy a different brand of eggs next time, if you are supermarket shopping?

I think that some eggs for sale at the Klong Toey WET MARKET (for example) do not have brand stickers on each egg. Maybe worth a look see.... ?

I have to ask but wouldn't a person who appears so passionate about a tiny, little bit of plastic on his eggs not have his own chickens to get organic, free range eggs which he could freely compost if he really cared so much ? whistling.gif

I used to buy the KCF eggs for years thinking they were KFC eggs. I could never fault the eggs but they were cleverly made to look like the KFC logo by using the same colours and font as the KFC brand. very clever marketing for me wink.png

• 2 years later...
On 3/17/2016 at 6:59 AM, canopy said:

Acronym is similar but different: not KFC, but KCF brand eggs sold at Tesco.

I have never bought eggs at 7/11 and it must be years since I bought any from any supermarket.

Either my wife or I go to the local market and buy 30 size zero eggs for 120/130 baht a tray.

• 2 months later...

Egg shells will reappear at the bottom of your compost heap 10 years later a bit dirtier than they were initially but hardly degraded into plant food. Working over the compost as you should, will break the shells into smaller pieces but it won't degrade.

Most of us have soils that are over rich in calcium (high pH) and so don't need to put in even more.

Solution:

buy elsewhere. or

keep chickens. 

On 10/19/2018 at 1:57 PM, observer90210 said:

Why don't they use the rubber stamp like inscription like it is done in eggs in many EU countries that mentions with a universal code if the hen was bred in a battrey or in open air, the date of the laying and it's validity for consumption.

Because that would mean the supermarket couldn't cheat with the packaging date

3 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

Because that would mean the supermarket couldn't cheat with the packaging date

We buy eggs at the local market.

Simple test for freshness.

Put the eggs in a saucepan or bowl of water.

If they float then they are bad, chuck them away. If not then they are OK.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/19/2018 at 1:39 PM, billd766 said:

I have never bought eggs at 7/11 and it must be years since I bought any from any supermarket.

Either my wife or I go to the local market and buy 30 size zero eggs for 120/130 baht a tray.

They are 50 baht cheaper in a supermarket. Most things are cheaper in supermarkets compared to local markets.

We buy eggs at the local market.

Simple test for freshness.

Put the eggs in a saucepan or bowl of water.

If they float then they are bad, chuck them away. If not then they are OK.
Smell test works and save on water bills [emoji16]

On 10/19/2018 at 1:39 PM, billd766 said:

Bloody hell how many eggs can two people eat? I buy six at a time so I have them as fresh as possible keep them in the fridge and take two out the night before I boil them for breakfast.

3 hours ago, Jane Dough said:

They are 50 baht cheaper in a supermarket. Most things are cheaper in supermarkets compared to local markets.

Not out here in rural Thailand and I know the eggs are fresher than those from the supermarket.

Can you really buy 30 size 0 eggs (the largest size) from a supermarket for 70 or 80 baht?

2 hours ago, adammike said:

Bloody hell how many eggs can two people eat? I buy six at a time so I have them as fresh as possible keep them in the fridge and take two out the night before I boil them for breakfast.

But there are more than 2 people in the house and those 30 eggs will last a couple of weeks kept in the fridge.

Archived