Moving to Cambodia - Best Way to Aquire Visa?

Hi folks,

After over a decade in LOS, I have finally decided to call it a day and move on.

I think for the short-term I will give Cambodia a try.

I am trying to work out the best way to aquire a long term visa. I can't do the e-visa thing, as I will be crossing in to Cambodia from Thailand at the Chong Chom land border, and as far as I can see, they don't handle the e-visa there.

My research suggests I should ask for a 1 month business visa when I cross in to Cambodia, and then extend it by 6 months or more so that I get a multi-entry visa.

Can somebody confirm if this is correct?

Thanks in advance.

Correct.

You do not want an E-visa (as in online) anyhow as it is of no use to you since you cannot extend it for long term stays.

What you want is an "Ordinary" visa. It should cost you 35 USD but there might be a problem with them demanding Thai Baht and lots of it. BM buffalo will be a good source on the current status of the crossing. Try the Isaan regional forum.

The visa gives you a month in cambodia to make up your mind. For the extension you go to an agent in SR (BM Siem Reaper seems to have a good agent in SR) or to Lucky Motors motorbike shop in PP. ANA Travel is SHV has also very good reviews. I dealt with Lucky Motors and, for tickets, with ANA and no complaints, on the contrary.

Two six month visas will be substantially more expensive than a 1-year.

Good Luck!

Also check the forum here for transport from the border to Siem Reap.

Thanks for the confirmation.

I'm very familiar with that crossing, I've been using it for the last 7 years while I have been living in Surin.

Transport to SR will either be by taxi (already locked in a decent price with my regular border tout) or by the new bus (if I am feeling energetic).

I'll probably stay in SR for the first few weeks, so I will track down a decent agent for the extension.

Any idea on the cost of the 1 year extension?

Thanks again.

Sopheak Na in Siem Reap will arrange an extension and is the preferred agent of Western expats. I have to be honest... having moved from Cambodia to Thailand recently and then returned briefly to Cambodia - I'm not sure what possessed me to live here for years. Siem Reap is an economic slump, PP may have property prices going through the roof but it's still rough as anything, Sihanoukville remains the ugliest beach resort in Asia and Battambang is way too sleepy to spend a long time in. I think if I was going to quit Thailand now; I'd head to Malaysia or at a push the Philippines.

I won't be quitting Thailand entirely, I have a Son here who I will still visit regularly. So I'll probably spend a couple of months outside Thailand, and then come back for a month, rinse and repeat.

So Cambodia is a logical starting place, but I fully intend to explore S.E. Asia fully in the next couple of years, in an effort to find the perfect location. But I will probably use SR as a base for now, as it's so easy to get back to Surin from.

Actually, I really like sleepy/quiet as I'm not really a social animal and prefer my own company. I've been looking at Kampot and Kep as well.

having lived in Thailand over 28 years,1 year in Cambodia in 08/09

i was so glad to return to Thailand

went back in 2013 and looked everywhere thinking i might move back, ( i have a Khmer GF), but found nothing is as good as what we have in Phuket and it is NOT any cheaper.

IF and thats a big if, i did move back to Cambodia it would be Kep

I think if people are looking for equivalence with Thailand; Cambodia is bound to make you miserable. I just spent a week in Phnom Penh and there is no comparison between Bangkok and Phnom Penh (unless you want to travel back in a time machine 50 years back). But... Cambodia has its charms and a completely different way of life and if you go to experience Cambodia rather than to replace Thailand - a good time can be had (I don't regret 4 years in Cambodia at all).

The only place of near equivalence to Thailand in Indochina is Vietnam. Saigon and Bangkok are very similar, though the public transport network still needs a leg up in Saigon and taxis, while cheap, are still more expensive than Thailand. Saigon is huge, sprawling, with plenty to do, great food, good health service, etc. overall it's a cheap place to live. Some "beach destinations" there are also very good (unlike Sihanoukville which is pretty awful). The downside of Vietnam is the visa regime... if you're not sponsored via work or you don't own a company; it's fly in on a 3 month business visa (can be arranged online), extend twice (second time more expensive than the 1st) and then leave the country and repeat the process. Visas are not multiple-entry either. Laos is too small and to be fair - expensive, to be a long term option for most people. Myanmar needs 20 years to modernize now their junta has released power. So if LoS has lost its charm - you're in Cambodia or you're in Vietnam. Or... you head elsewhere in SE Asia - Malaysia is a great option (though alcohol is expensive everything else is equivalent to Thailand) or possibly the Philippines (though personal safety is an issue - it's cheap and people are friendly).

Thanks for the good info TSR.

I'm definitely not looking to replace Thailand. I don't really have a problem with Thailand, it's just time to move on while I am still young enough to enjoy the adventure. My 11 year relationship has just fizzled out (entirely amicably), I'm pushing 50, and if I don't get out and start doing something with my life, I can see myself ending up as one of the old guys who sit in a bar from morning until midnight moaning about Thailand.

So yes, I understand that on an infrastructure level, Thailand is better than many of the alternatives in S.E. Asia. But, and it's a big but, I've been living in sleepy Surin for the last 7 years. So I am not really used to having Bangkok levels of infrastructure anyway.

That being said, I already plan on spending a couple of weeks in Vietnam after Cambodia. I quite fancy taking the reunification line up from Saigon to Hanoi, with a stop off in Da Nang. Just to have a look around. I have a good friend who moved to Vietnam a while back, and he has nothing but good things to say about the place.

I share your opinion on Laos. I have enjoyed visiting Vientiane on the few occasions I have had to go there for visa related reasons, but I couldn't imagine living there.

Both Malaysia and the Philippines are on my list of places I want to go and take a look at as potential long term locations. Myanmar is as well. As I mentioned above, the lack of infrastructure is not something I am too concerned about. On the flip side, I am also looking at Hong Kong and Singapore. I'm not really too concerned with cost of living, and both of those places look to be quite exciting. This trip I will do a month or so in Cambodia, then 2 weeks in Vietnam, and then head down through Laos back in to Thailand for a month or so. Next trip I will probably check out Malaysia and Singapore.

Thanks for the great info though. It's always good to hear from somebody with experience.

You can certainly buy a bicycle but I have no idea about price. Probably not very different than in Thailand.

NO dating sites AFAIK and except for hookers/bar girls, you will not encounter many Khmer women actively seeking a foreign boyfriend the way you do in Thailand. They are not necessarily closed to the idea, but will evaluate you on your individual merits.

You should be able to purchase a cheap bicycle - as they are priced for the local market and local income levels. Not sure if the offers are what you like but you'll find something.

In general, you will know by now that websites dealing with Cambodia are not the same kind of source as for Thailand. Think of Thaivisa - and you fade in Cambo. The sample of members is much smaller in numbers and also in terms of stratification. The other place Richard referred to is a hotbed for unqualified teaching staff, bar owners pushing their meager establishments, and other characters. They complain of people coming over from Thailand while having made the very same move. Somehow they assume that the newcomers are even worse than themselves. This would, however, be tough to achieve.

In general, I trust that you can make your living here and that even perfectly legal as you are allowed to work in Cambodia. Cost for Visa and Workpermit etc. is good in comparison. You do not deal with much bureaucracy. People talking like that have little idea about Thailand.

You can find acceptable accommodation at reasonable price. Some expats do have good insights. Lots of new buildings in the northern part of town at comparably good prices with good setup.

You won't have the same headaches with banking and even get some interest on your USDs.

There is some limited day-time public transport with buses at a low rate on major routes that occasionally do come in handy.

PP air is polluted as is BKK and Pattaya. You might consider SHV easier to bike, better air, a bit cooler which makes a real difference in the hot season. There are disadvantages which are discussed online at length.

The dating scene: Forget about it. This is not BKK - there nothing remotely resembling BKK. You would need to fully readjust.

Archived