Thai police warn people to stop flying kites after motorcyclist is nearly strangled

webfact

Thai police warn people to stop flying kites after motorcyclist is nearly strangled
Thaivisa Reporters

hy.jpg
Kites that could kill! Is there no end to the hazards on Thailand’s roads...?

HAT YAI:-- Police have warned people to stop flying kites after a motorcyclist had a lucky escape Monday.

A string from one of the kites got wrapped around the lady biker's neck almost strangling her.

It was the second incident in a year that nearly resulted in the death of a motorcyclist under identical circumstances in Hat Yai, southern Thailand.

Photos of the injuries of the victim - known only as Sopha - were posted on social media showing lacerations to her neck. She had stopped under the bridge after getting entangled in the cords but had not reported the matter to authorities. However, her pictures caused a storm on Facebook that piqued the interest of local police who went to investigate.

Sopha told them that she had been to visit her mum on her bike and was going home over the bridge. "I felt something around my neck and it was strangling me, " she said. The lucky woman added that it was fortunate that she was not going faster as her injuries could have been much worse.

Hat Yai police under the leadership of Suraphong Kittiranggoon sent a team to the area of the bridge to investigate. Locals told them it was the kite flying season and loose strings often flew up. It presented a hazard to motorcyclist in particular, they said.

Police revealed that an almost identical incident had happened on the same bridge in March last year. They ordered people in the area to stop flying kites to avoid a potentially lethal incident in the future.

tvn.png
-- 2016-03-16

In some kite flying contests the upper part of the kite line is coated in powdered glass and the kites flown in an attempt to cut the opponents string. The lady's neck injury looks like a s

'sawcut'. So now its hard hats and throat guards!

When I first went to Brazil I asked why most of the motorbikes had radio arials with small hooks attached to the handle bars. I thought it was a joke when given the answer that it was to stop the kite strings cutting your throat. As a previous poster noted the use of glass fibre type string is popular.

Locals told them it was the kite flying season and loose strings often flew up. It presented a hazard to motorcyclist in particular, they said.

Next month is water throwing season.

Throwing a bucket of water in a biker's face should be a felony.

People get killed by airplane crashes - so let's ban commercial flying altogether, shall we? Another idiotic suggestion by the RTP... blink.png

How unutterably thick are you?

Beyond the fact that your comparison is so spurious as to be laughable, kites are not banned entirely, they are banned in a particular area.

I realize it is great fun to mock all sections Thai, but imagine the reaction anywhere else in the Western world to two identical accidents.

Have you forgotten the UK outlawed conkers?

In. Canada, dodgeball, the only team sport I ever enjoyed in elementary school is now off the cards in many school districts.

Hysterical overreaction by governments is certainly not a uniquely Thai trait, nor is it the case here.

There are plenty of places to fly kites other than near a bridge where passers by may get injured.

they going to shut down my kite boarding school or are we out of the danger zone? www.bluelagoonpattaya.com

Well done with the subtle plug. Are you watching your stats for a reaction?

I'm willing to bet you are.

Archived