Are there any young farang guys in Isan?

theguyfromanotherforum

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are, yes- mostly to be found in the larger cities and towns, English teaching. Out in the ban nok you will mostly find the old crusties. Surin, given the size of the town, has a surprisingly large younger farang scene. Check out the Reggae Bar, and no doubt you can find out more from there. But it isn't Bangkok, and neither would i want it to be.

Depends what ya call old i guess. Just turned 40 and been living up Udon for over 5 years. One of my best mates from work is 29 and he has been in khon kaen for a similar amount of time. Also got a few mates up in Udon in their 30's. Get real tired of the old nothing doing up in Isaan shtick. Not all of us want to live in Bangkok or bar filled sewers like Pattaya. Quite enjoy the country life with the missus and kids was sceptical at first but now I love. Each to his own I reckon.

Depends what ya call old i guess. Just turned 40 and been living up Udon for over 5 years. One of my best mates from work is 29 and he has been in khon kaen for a similar amount of time. Also got a few mates up in Udon in their 30's. Get real tired of the old nothing doing up in Isaan shtick. Not all of us want to live in Bangkok or bar filled sewers like Pattaya. Quite enjoy the country life with the missus and kids was sceptical at first but now I love. Each to his own I reckon.

Not judging, just curious.

I like big cities, but my gf sometimes goes on about moving back to Surat thani. Was bored after 2 days and it was even my wedding.

over 50?? are you joking, they all over 65 at least.

I visit Udon central , and UD town often ,

I have noticed the influx of younger farang guys ,most of them under 40 ,

Thai professional ladies , can choose their partners or short term tourist lovers , via the thai love sites , and they do .

Gone are the days of the fat , bald handome farlang .sob sob .

Not judging, just curious.

I like big cities, but my gf sometimes goes on about moving back to Surat thani. Was bored after 2 days and it was even my wedding.

No problem but you must realise that it's a worn out cliche from another era that guys only come to Thailand to sleep with prostitutes and hang in falang "entertainment" areas. Plenty of young professionals, offshore workers, miners whatever all over Isaan. Yours is a very narrow minded view my friend. You find boring but I don't I got a full and active life where I am. What I find boring is watching old men sitting in bars drooling over hookers waiting to die whilst telling you what a great life they've got. All over 50? don't make me laugh Nana is like gods waiting room.

not to likelyas there are no soi cowboys, no Nana Plaza, no massage parlors that cater to the sex side, no bars open all night, we have ALL been there and done that! now it is time to relax and enjoy life and let the upper head tell us what to do! remember the joke about the young bull and the old bull!

I spent a few years living up country. There were good times and bad times but mostly drunk bored times. After talking to myself every morning asking " what are you doing here" I decided to get back to civilization. It was a good experience but would never entertain the idea again.

But yes, there are some young guys there but many of the ones I knew had issues in one form or another. Some however had nice families and just there so their family would have support from other family members while they were off to work in another country.

Try it for 6 months before investing too much as it is not for everyone.

not to likelyas there are no soi cowboys, no Nana Plaza, no massage parlors that cater to the sex side, no bars open all night, we have ALL been there and done that! now it is time to relax and enjoy life and let the upper head tell us what to do! remember the joke about the young bull and the old bull!

I think living in the country, perhaps a small village, is only suitable for those a bit older than those in their 40's.

I had the opportunity to live in the sticks when I first arrived in Thailand 30 years ago, but emphatically turned it down. 15 years in Pattaya (when it was a much smaller place then it is now) were fine, but after that I had had enough, and am now very happy and settled living in a small village with a house and large garden. Still have friends in Pattaya, whom I visit occasionally when village boredom sets in....but after a couple of days happy to return..

I spent a few years living up country. There were good times and bad times but mostly drunk bored times. After talking to myself every morning asking " what are you doing here" I decided to get back to civilization. It was a good experience but would never entertain the idea again.

But yes, there are some young guys there but many of the ones I knew had issues in one form or another. Some however had nice families and just there so their family would have support from other family members while they were off to work in another country.

Try it for 6 months before investing too much as it is not for everyone.

Doesn't really sound like a good experience getting drunk everyday and asking yourself "what are you doing here" everyday. I'll agree on one thing though plenty of guys in Thailand who have issues but I reckon there would be more in the "entertainment areas" than out bush. You could probably even start with people whose life is so meaningless they need to get drunk everyday ;) as they can think of nothing better to do.

I spent my first 30 years in Bangkok and was in my early 50s before the idea of living upcountry even crossed my mind. We moved mainly for the physical environment but I have to admit I find remote country life is limiting on a social level. We still prefer interacting with our younger more dynamic Thai friends in Bangkok over the less sophisticated villagers or geriatric foreigners. Fortunately Chiang Mai is a fun drive through the mountains and Bangkok a quick flight away from Chiang Rai, and of course there is social media.

I'm 53 so I don't think that I'm all that old, I know a few under 50s dotted around Chaiyaphum province,

But I'd say that you really need to have come from the countryside to be able to appreciate living in the sticks here, you will get bored very quickly if youre a city slicker I would think...

Archived