Heat wave threat ruled out for Thailand

webfact

Heat wave threat ruled out

236-1-wpcf_728x410.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Meteorologists and marine scientists yesterday ruled out the possibility of heat wave hitting the country during March 17-19 from the Pacific Ocean, reasoning the country's coastline geography.

Their assurance of no heat wave threat came after an environmental and natural resources academic of Mahidol University, Mr Jirapol Sindhunava, revealed that the record high heat winds in 50 years from the Pacific Ocean has blown into and has covered Thailand.

As a consequence, Thailand will suffer the hottest temperature among Asean countries from March 17 to 19.

But what he said as concerning about was that this heat winds could alter to heat waves that could heighten the hot temperatures of the country and could be hazardous to health, he said.

However meteorologists and marine scientists dismissed the heat wave fear, reasoning that there was no chance of heat wave threat to the country because the hottest day in Thailand is caused by the sun right over the head or is positioned at 90 degrees on the horizon or in April.

Heat wave normally occurs in countries which have large deserts such as India and America.

As Thailand has no desert, so the chance of being hit by heat wave is impossible, assured Mr Wanchai Sak-udomchai, director-general of the Meteorological Department.

For today, the hottest temperature will be 41 degrees Celsius in Nakhon Sawan, Tak and Lampang.

Thailand’s record high temperature was reported in Uttaradit province at 44.5 degrees on 27 April 1960, he said.

He also said the hottest day in Bangkok this year would not break the 1960 record as moistures from the sea would be blown in during the afternoon, noting the hottest temperatures in Bangkok will be from noon to 2 pm at the average 35 -38 degrees Celsius

But in hilly areas such as Kanchanaburi and Tak, the temperatures now have exceeded 40 degrees already now.

Meanwhile director of the Geo-Informatics and Space Technology Development Agency (GISTDA), Dr Anon Sanitwong na Ayutthaya also commented that the occurrence of heat wave in Thailand or in Bangkok is rare as Bangkok located close to the sea, thus enabling transfer of air from land to sea.

The possibility of heat wave will be in hilly areas such as Tak, Mae Hong Son or Kamphaengphet.

But he said there must be accumulation of heat first before heat wave could be formed and happen, adding Thailand was never suffered from heat wave in history.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/155550

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-03-17

Mmm some very odd technical remarks & logic from these professionals ! I wonder how a desert is formed lol ... trust them at your own risk lol . Buy a hat, stock up on water and sponsor & hope for best as no professional agency is dealing with any of it ...

@Buckbee . As a climatologist, I am baffled at the confused, inexact and contradictory statements I have just read.

I just hope it's a problem of not exact translation from Thai to English.

In fact, a heat wave from ocean breezes is absurd, that's right, moisture can only increase the heat indexes (feeling like temperature) not causing a jump in the temperature. Continental air instead can cause a jump in temperature together with a decrease of the moisture, but it's more typical of the temperate and desert climates, that's correct.

In a tropical humid country like Thailand, the hottest temperatures are indeed recorded just after the passage of the sun at the equinox but the small differences between years are mostly due to atmospheric conditions and quantity of moisture in the terrain aka presence of drought (which reflects the sun) , this year we are still under the influence of the Nino , so the atmosphere is warmer than the average because the warmer than average oceans exchange its surplus energy with the lower levels of the atmosphere.

Maybe that was that guy from the University meant ?

BTW, it's true that the Thailand hottest T on record was in April 1960, but the Bangkok hottest temperature was indeed 2 years ago in the Metropolis station and in May 1983 at the Don Muang station.

@Buckbee . As a climatologist, I am baffled at the confused, inexact and contradictory statements I have just read.

In fact, a heat wave from ocean breezes is absurd, that's right, moisture can only increase the heat indexes (feeling like temperature) not causing a jump in the temperature. Continental air instead can cause a jump in temperature together with a decrease of the moisture, but it's more typical of the temperate and desert climates, that's correct.

In a tropical humid country like Thailand, the hottest temperatures are indeed recorded just after the passage of the sun at the equinox but the small differences between years are mostly due to atmospheric conditions and quantity of moisture in the terrain aka presence of drought (which reflects the sun) , this year we are still under the influence of the Nino , so the atmosphere is warmer than the average because the warmer than average oceans exchange its surplus energy with the lower levels of the atmosphere.

Informative post.

The straight stuff - nothing lost in translation.

My reading was that this Sak-udomchai guy has mis-defined 'heat-wave'.

Although the definition varies from country to country, one generally accepted definition of 'heat wave' is when the "daily maximum temperature of more than five consecutive days exceeds the average maximum temperature by 5 °C (9 °F)" - the forecast for Kanchanaburi has the maximum temperature exceeding the average maximum temperature by 6-7 °C for the next 10 days - sure looks like a heat wave to me!

I hope this babbling mish mash of an article makes more sense in Thai.

Yeah, I don't think he is talking about a real heat wave, a short period of time with extraordinary hot temperatures, is he? Maybe he means "mirage", 55 because he talks about deserts.

Get out there and cycle. Did an 80k ride yesterday 37 degree heat, no ill effects. Watch out for numbing of the hands, the first sign of overheating. Next, the legs feel very tired, the body telling you to stop and seek shade [urgently]. After 5.30 pm, the sun's impact is much less, and then dusk, which is a pleasure to ride in. I drank 5 liters of water in 2hours and 40 minutes.

Get out there and cycle. Did an 80k ride yesterday 37 degree heat, no ill effects. Watch out for numbing of the hands, the first sign of overheating. Next, the legs feel very tired, the body telling you to stop and seek shade [urgently]. After 5.30 pm, the sun's impact is much less, and then dusk, which is a pleasure to ride in. I drank 5 liters of water in 2hours and 40 minutes.

I wonder how many heart attacks you have caused by such advice. I go into the bedroom and turn on the air-con,read a good book with my cat purring by my side,he's got more sense than to go looking for pussy in this heat.

Thank you max72 , interesting info. Perhaps the minister in question knows the songs of Irving Berlin ? ( Heat Wave ). I also live on the outskirts of a small country town in Isaan and have been recording over 40C in the shade and 38C even at 5pm. At least the RH is low 25 - 40%, normally around 30%, getting to feel a bit like Saudi.

I don't know, but i am sure he will say that's what he meant,he uses good words but they get jumbled up and fall out at the wrong place

I guess it all depends on what the meaning of the word heat is, if 41 degrees isn't hot, ok, it isn't hot in Thailand and maybe it never will be. We could just say Thailand is a lovely cool country with no deserts and where people feel uncomfortable in April perhaps because the clouds clear a bit and remind people of the existence of a blazing ball of fire in the sky and it is that that makes them think they are hot.

So I'm the only one that thinks it hot today?

My thoughts exactly ! Whatever the news reports say, it was bloody hot today in the Pattaya/ Sattahip area and distincly hotter than yesterday.

In my country , anything above 30 degr is a heatwave ... so Thailand is in a pernament heatwave for 10 months of the year ?

Yes above 30 but it has to be for some days in rows.

Now i wonder what the Thai call a heatwave.

Perhaps not the best course of action for many of our senior members.

It does, but not much. Khun Wanchai is basically arguing about semantics, which of course is totally silly when it's hot enough out there to melt asphalt. I guess I've been here too long because I actually enjoy this kind of ridiculousness.

''As Thailand has no desert......'' He hasn't been to Isaan lately, 39C today, 40C forecast for tomorrow.

Udon Thani - the next five consecutive days will exceed the long-term average maximum temperature by 7 °C.

A heat wave by anyone's standard! (Except, of course, Mr Wanchai Sak-udomchai, director-general of the Meteorological Department, who's certain the chance of being hit by heat wave is impossible... crazy.gif )

It does, but not much. Khun Wanchai is basically arguing about semantics, which of course is totally silly when it's hot enough out there to melt asphalt. I guess I've been here too long because I actually enjoy this kind of ridiculousness.

I was actually curious about that, so thanks for answering!

My reading was that this Sak-udomchai guy has mis-defined 'heat-wave'.

Although the definition varies from country to country, one generally accepted definition of 'heat wave' is when the "daily maximum temperature of more than five consecutive days exceeds the average maximum temperature by 5 °C (9 °F)" - the forecast for Kanchanaburi has the maximum temperature exceeding the average maximum temperature by 6-7 °C for the next 10 days - sure looks like a heat wave to me!

Yep, relative to Thailand it can be considered a heat wave, but the explanation given was somehow confused and not exact.

It's not because "hot air from the sea", it's because a mass of air of very high atmospheric temperatures (also caused by the energy surplus of the ocean due to El Nino's overheating) will station over Thailand with subsidence effect, air compression to the lower levels of atmosphere, increase of the temperature and a small decrease of the humidity rate.

Today max. in Thailand was 41.4C at Nakhon Sawan, BKK was around 36C but the feeling like is obviously higher for the combination of temperature, humidity and little ventilation.

Apart from 1958 and 1960, Thailand have not recorded any official temperature above 44.0C (that was recorded in the past years at Tak and Mae Hong Song). Let's see what we can achieve this year ;-)

BTW: Today 38.8C was recorded at Alor Setar in Malaysia, being an equatorial maritime climate with very little thermal variation, this kind of temperatures in Malaysia are exceptional. Only once in history Malaysia recorded 40C (40.1C at Chuping, Thai border indeed in April 1998, last Nino Strong)

''As Thailand has no desert......'' He hasn't been to Isaan lately, 39C today, 40C forecast for tomorrow.

Udon Thani - the next five consecutive days will exceed the long-term average maximum temperature by 7 °C.

A heat wave by anyone's standard! (Except, of course, Mr Wanchai Sak-udomchai, director-general of the Meteorological Department, who's certain the chance of being hit by heat wave is impossible... crazy.gif )

Well, you know....Thailand and saving face..... they didn't tell that at the end of January it really snowed (real snow, not sleet or hail or graupel) on the Doi Inthanon, do you know why ? Because days before they had said snow is impossible in Thailand because the combination low temperature/moisture and precipitation never occurrs at the same time.

True....until 25 January 2016 when above 1800m/1900m temperature was below 0C (-2/-3 on the Inthanon) WITH PRECIPITATION.

It rained with just 1C at just 1500m on the Doi Ang Khan.

I have investigated all Southeast Asian cold waves (including the brutal ones of 1924, 1955, 1974 and 1999) and the chances of having this kind of combination had happened last time probably in February 1836 (and before than in January 1654), but having said days before that snow was impossible in Thailand, they didn't announce an absolutely historical event.

These are the synoptical observations of the Doi Ang Khang on 25 January 1000 meters below the Inthanon which temperature was between -2C and -3C those hours and light precipitation was present from the lowlands (in Chiang Mai) to the mountains. So snow was an absolute matter of fact, since there were no thermal inversions (aka no freezing rain or other frozen hydrometeors)

http://ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynres?ind=48302〈=en&decoded=yes&ndays=2&ano=2016&mes=01&day=27&hora=00

I think the headline or the phenomenon should be called "heat period" though I'm not sure as I'm not a native speaker either a meteologist.

What I'm surprised that the predicted temperatures upcountry and in high elevations are that high.

I always assumed Bangkok is the furnace in the hot season.

CLW, Bangkok is the furnace in terms of heat index (combination of temperature and humidity) , but not about the peaks in maximum temperatures in the hot season, because its proximity to the Gulf and high humidity rate.

For example, if in Bangkok you have 36C with 60% of humidity, you will feel hotter than in Kanchanaburi if they have 39C and 35% of humidity.

Moreover, in Bangkok the heat will persist during nightime, while inland you will feel more the temperature drop at night.

Archived