Are monks properly regulated in Thailand?

jak2002003

I wish the monk in the temple next to my house would worry about what people thought about his behaviour.

In fact, no one goes to the temple anymore because of him.. all the villagers are scared of him. I can't understand why there is nothing set up to regulate the monks and what they do at each temple. Seems they can do whatever they want.

He does not go out to collect alms anymore.... but instead get his food delivered by someone in a big expensive shiny black truck.

The 2 monks then spend the day sitting around listening to loud Thai pop music.. or watching TV.

A few times a week they turn the loud speakers on the max volume (at 5.30am) which actually HURTS our ears.. so we have to get in the car and go out.. They don't play Buddhist music... they play the Thai pop songs.. some really bad old ones!!! This laste for several hours, bufore they do about 15 minutes of chanting and its ends.

Yesterday he was DRIVING a truck up and down through the village for some reason.. while a group of Burmese workers were busy in the temple grounds with chain saws cutting down two 100 year old rain trees, driving off with big logs in their pick up trucks later that day.

A few time a week he will rant over the loud speaks.. telling the villagers how bad they all are. listing all their sins.. like some hell and damnation Christian preacher.

He orders people over the speaks to bring him more food.. or money.. and shouts at the farmers demanding they keep their cattle away form the temple lake... so the animals can't bath to cool off or drink.

Now, even of 'Wan Prah' days do one goes there.. but the place is getting a lot of money from somewhere.. as they are always building new things and the amount of lights looks like fairground at night. Any attempt to go inside to look around is very dangerous.. and the pack of large breed dogs will likely attack you... many people have fallen off their motor bikes going past the temple to chased by a pack of dogs biting at their legs.

I can't get any of my neighbours to tell me whats going on there.. they all change the conversation or make excuses to be going. The all seem scared of him.

I thought it was a new Monk.. but they say its the same one. Because, for about one year previous to this everything was good.. and the temple was quiet and had a lot of people going there.

Then his behaviour changed suddenly.. and attendance dropped off quickly. Only a few faithful old ladies and men would go on the special days.. but now even they have stopped going. All very weird.

As I write this the chain saws have just started up again today! Looks like the last big beautiful rain tree is getting cut down.

I wish the monk in the temple next to my house would worry about what people thought about his behaviour.

In fact, no one goes to the temple anymore because of him.. all the villagers are scared of him. I can't understand why there is nothing set up to regulate the monks and what they do at each temple. Seems they can do whatever they want.

He does not go out to collect alms anymore.... but instead get his food delivered by someone in a big expensive shiny black truck.

The 2 monks then spend the day sitting around listening to loud Thai pop music.. or watching TV.

A few times a week they turn the loud speakers on the max volume (at 5.30am) which actually HURTS our ears.. so we have to get in the car and go out.. They don't play Buddhist music... they play the Thai pop songs.. some really bad old ones!!! This laste for several hours, bufore they do about 15 minutes of chanting and its ends.

Yesterday he was DRIVING a truck up and down through the village for some reason.. while a group of Burmese workers were busy in the temple grounds with chain saws cutting down two 100 year old rain trees, driving off with big logs in their pick up trucks later that day.

A few time a week he will rant over the loud speaks.. telling the villagers how bad they all are. listing all their sins.. like some hell and damnation Christian preacher.

He orders people over the speaks to bring him more food.. or money.. and shouts at the farmers demanding they keep their cattle away form the temple lake... so the animals can't bath to cool off or drink.

Now, even of 'Wan Prah' days do one goes there.. but the place is getting a lot of money from somewhere.. as they are always building new things and the amount of lights looks like fairground at night. Any attempt to go inside to look around is very dangerous.. and the pack of large breed dogs will likely attack you... many people have fallen off their motor bikes going past the temple to chased by a pack of dogs biting at their legs.

I can't get any of my neighbours to tell me whats going on there.. they all change the conversation or make excuses to be going. The all seem scared of him.

I thought it was a new Monk.. but they say its the same one. Because, for about one year previous to this everything was good.. and the temple was quiet and had a lot of people going there.

Then his behaviour changed suddenly.. and attendance dropped off quickly. Only a few faithful old ladies and men would go on the special days.. but now even they have stopped going. All very weird.

As I write this the chain saws have just started up again today! Looks like the last big beautiful rain tree is getting cut down.

Actually there is nothing wrong if the monks don't go out since someone sends the food over.

Other than that, if what you wrote are all true, please do your community a favour by reporting them to the police. Or let us know where is the place, maybe some one here can do something about it, or else people may not believe it.

It's not hard to guess what is going on, but you really don't want to go to the police unless you are prepared for a heap of trouble. You could make an anonymous complaint to the regional monastic authorities but I doubt they'll do anything. Also, if there is any investigation and you are the only foreigner in the area, suspicion will fall on you as the snitch.

It's not hard to guess what is going on, but you really don't want to go to the police unless you are prepared for a heap of trouble. You could make an anonymous complaint to the regional monastic authorities but I doubt they'll do anything. Also, if there is any investigation and you are the only foreigner in the area, suspicion will fall on you as the snitch.

Yes.. I have no intention to report it or cause any fuss... I want a quiet life here!!! Now that the villagers themselves are getting annoyed with the noise and his attitude.. perhaps they will do something in the end.

That is why we have had to put our house up for sale.

Its very emotional to sell it.. as we designed and organised its building ourselves with a Thai friend. We have lovely gardens and lake... but its got too stressful living here for me... I cant stand getting the surprise wake up alarm from the temple at random times.

I know its not typical temple style.. as I lived by a very lively one for 7 years before and it was nothing like this one... also when I go out because of the noise I pass about 6 other local temples.. and they are not acting like this with the music volume or ranting.

The temples / abbots seem to answer to no one but themselves as far as finances/ assets, taken in, how it is dispersed /spent, etc.

When the abbot can and does refuse to answer DSI questions and requires a lawyer to speak on his behalf, it should raise a lot of red flags as to how the organization operates and is run.

There have have been numerous cases of monks abscounding with huge sums of money, indicated to be involved in laundering of funds, outright theft of land on government land, etc.

In a single word answer to the op, in my humble opinion, ''NO''

Archived