Thai Energy Office warns motorists of danger of mobile phone use at petrol stations

webfact

hasn't this been proven already? static electricity was identified as the culprit. the cause for the correlation was due to confounding by sex (gender, whatever). when mobile phone use in the US was picking up, women used them more than men. women were also more prone to getting off vehicles without discharging static electricity (unable to touch any conductive part of the vehicle). this confounding led authorities to believe that mobile phone use (or mere ownership) was the culprit. it's all in the mythbusters clip posted an another TV'er.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I call BS on this!

Mythbusters

Seems like the best (or maybe the only) solution is to ground the car during fueling - as is done when fueling an airplane....

If you get out and touch the car, you'll ground any static...........no worries.

This program along with many others shows the phone thing is a myth....it does however show the potential risks from static.......and we are looking at self-serve which they don't have in Thailand.

Conclusion....the The Energy Policy and Planning Office have got it wrong. Thy have done the classic thing - issued a dictum with no research , no scientific information without reference to any other country and again rendered themselves to look foolish in the eyes of other countries.

I guess the lesson to learn from this is how unreliable videos are s "evidence" - seeing is NOT believing and the conclusion is confusing association with causation...... but what do you expect from people who seem totally unqualified to do their job?

Who are you referring to, people from the Thai energy office or the self proclaimed Thai visa resident experts on every subject under the sun ?

Both - I don't think you really understand the concept, which unfortunately makes you very likely to be one of that crowd.

I guess the lesson to learn from this is how unreliable videos are s "evidence" - seeing is NOT believing and the conclusion is confusing association with causation...... but what do you expect from people who seem totally unqualified to do their job?

Who are you referring to, people from the Thai energy office or the self proclaimed Thai visa resident experts on every subject under the sun ?

Both - I don't think you really understand the concept, which unfortunately makes you very likely to be one of that crowd.

I think you will find i under the "concept" better than most

I think you will find i under the "concept" better than most

Then why bother to ask?

For a start it would be nice if PTT (and probably others) trained their staff about this. Several times I've had to prevent some to use their phone while filling my tank...

Nothing to train...it's a MYTH

I don't believe it's a myth, first i would like to know the brandname and originality of the said phone/powerbank. Then also check if it has been altered.

Next check the temperatures of the motobike around the fueltank, powerbank/cellphone. It can get pretty hot under the seat especially if something is wrong there.

I'm often amazed how close to the fuelpumps we are allowed to smoke. And how the taxi's have to open their hood to fill CNG-gas. They fill it right next to the hot engine while in Europe that's not allowed.

For a start it would be nice if PTT (and probably others) trained their staff about this. Several times I've had to prevent some to use their phone while filling my tank...

I don't believe it's a myth, first i would like to know the brandname and originality of the said phone/powerbank. Then also check if it has been altered.

Next check the temperatures of the motobike around the fueltank, powerbank/cellphone. It can get pretty hot under the seat especially if something is wrong there.

I'm often amazed how close to the fuelpumps we are allowed to smoke. And how the taxi's have to open their hood to fill CNG-gas. They fill it right next to the hot engine while in Europe that's not allowed.

It's a MYTH!

You then go on to talk about OTHER ways a fire might start - you don't even believe your own idea!

It's a MYTH!

You then go on to talk about OTHER ways a fire might start - you don't even believe your own idea!

Guess you have no idea about all the fake copycopy phones sold here? Or how they repair them?

And yes there are more ways to make fuel(vapour) ignite. Who says the phone caused it?

Bad luck day for customer. Quick act by brave staff! clap2.gif

I have seen number of people using mobile at gas station while filling the gas, some taxis even make us sit inside car while refilling LPG blink.png . Have to be careful and watchful.rolleyes.gif

Where it is true that the staff managed to put the fire out, i wouldn't call it quick. The person was having difficulty operating the extinguisher.

If you watch the video again, it was 10 seconds from the first flame to the first shot from the extinguisher. Whereas that doesn't sound like a long time, in a situation like this it is.

It is good that the fire fighting appliances were available, but for them to work efficiently, the staff have to be trained to control their panic and operate the equipment correctly first time.

Not Thai bashing, this can happen anywhere, just an observation.

Right, back to the phones..........................wink.png

In hazardous areas VHF is prohibited but not UHF and above. Cell phones operate at a minimum of 800MHz which is in the upper UHF band bordering on the microwave bands. It is therefore not the likely reason for the explosion.

Before anyone asks all Oil and Gas sites are highly flammable areas and UHF is the defacto standard for use of radio systems in such places

"The patrol station manager Ms Jamrak Guntawin later said the fire was found to be ignited by mobile phone call after the owner of the motorcycle took his vehicle to wash."

So Ms. Jamrak conducted an experiment or investigation on her own using her electrical engineering degree that helped her get a job as a gas station manager?

I'm sure it was the way he had the charger wired into the bike battery, twisted wire and just taped together, Shorted/Sparked and caused the fire.

I'd bet on it.

It has to be something to do wtih the charging mechanism. I agree. Mythbusters initial experiments put the whole deal off, but there is always an exception and static electricity can do the same thing, whiich other tests have shown. Good to be cautious with this one anyway.

I'm skeptical of the purporte cause of the fire.

Why are you sceptical of the cause of the fire?

electric devices can cause fir when they make spark and there is enough concentrated damp of the fule to ingite.

many accidents happened in the past with mobile phones, electric discharge, smoking and so on.

What worries more is the time it too to have the fire extinguisher operational.

the man reacted very quick but had trouble to get the fire extinguisher operational.

Several seconds past by trying to get it operational.

I have seen number of people using mobile at gas station while filling the gas, some taxis even make us sit inside car while refilling LPG blink.png . Have to be careful and watchful.rolleyes.gif

Where it is true that the staff managed to put the fire out, i wouldn't call it quick. The person was having difficulty operating the extinguisher.

If you watch the video again, it was 10 seconds from the first flame to the first shot from the extinguisher. Whereas that doesn't sound like a long time, in a situation like this it is.

It is good that the fire fighting appliances were available, but for them to work efficiently, the staff have to be trained to control their panic and operate the equipment correctly first time.

Not TB as much as basic NPD. I'm impressed that the gentleman didn't just run away. Putting out a fire isn't like playing horseshoes and the fact it took a few seconds to react and he did appropriately is astounding.

I think to understand what happened you have to live in thailand and not farangland . I live in thailand and my wifes kids were teenagers when i came here so i know a lot of young thais. They also leave their motorbikes at my house when the go to work as i am the last house from the village and let them do it . I have about 12 motorbikes at my house everyday , all young people . They have extra flashing lights , sirens and most have battery banks wired up to the battery and placed under their seats to charge their phones.
Because there is no shock from 6v or 12v they do not bother to tape up the joined cables . Just twist them together and leave them bare . Some of them have a lot of bare cables as my wife daughters husband who is an electrician . I pointed out to him that on his new bike he should tape them up . He had a phone charger , siren and lots of coloured flashing lights .He ignored me ,they shorted and now his 3 month old bike has no battery and some of the lights do not work and he has to kick start it .
Not difficult to work out it was his crude charging and lights system that started the fire when his phone rang

Not TB as much as basic NPD. I'm impressed that the gentleman didn't just run away. Putting out a fire isn't like playing horseshoes and the fact it took a few seconds to react and he did appropriately is astounding.

smile.png No, not knocking him, just observing. It was why i added the line 'need to control their panic' as it is a pretty stressful position to be in considering the flammables in the area.

Mobile phones are a definite hazard at petrol stations if used whilst filling up.

Myth-busters little exercise was BS... there was no ignition/explosion because they had the incorrect petrol vapour/air mixture.

Using mobile phones whilst filling your tank is particularly risky if you drop your phone. Petrol vapours are heavier than air so they accumulate neat the ground... drop your phone and possibly dislodge your battery, these powerful modern mobile phone battery's have a heap of power and could emit a spark... maximum volatility is achieved 'round about 7% petrol vapour & 93% air. Boom boom.

Mobile phones are a definite hazard at petrol stations if used whilst filling up.

Myth-busters little exercise was BS... there was no ignition/explosion because they had the incorrect petrol vapour/air mixture.

Using mobile phones whilst filling your tank is particularly risky if you drop your phone. Petrol vapours are heavier than air so they accumulate neat the ground... drop your phone and possibly dislodge your battery, these powerful modern mobile phone battery's have a heap of power and could emit a spark... maximum volatility is achieved 'round about 7% petrol vapour & 93% air. Boom boom.

Frequencies used for Cell phones are not the cause of explosions in conditions of filling up your car. In a confined space that is a different situation and would need to be looked at. It is the power density that would cause an explosion and cell phones are a maximum of 2.5Watts intrinsic radiation. In an open space it is an extremely remote possibility that an explosion would occur.

I'm skeptical of the purporte cause of the fire.

Why are you sceptical of the cause of the fire?

electric devices can cause fir when they make spark and there is enough concentrated damp of the fule to ingite.

many accidents happened in the past with mobile phones, electric discharge, smoking and so on.

What worries more is the time it too to have the fire extinguisher operational.

the man reacted very quick but had trouble to get the fire extinguisher operational.

Several seconds past by trying to get it operational.

The purported cause of the fire is a cell phone receiving a call.

There are many ways to ignite gasoline. This is not one of them.

As others have stated, some reasonable causes could be:

Static discharge between vehicle and dispenser,

Fuel contacting a very hot surface,

A malfunctioning lithium cell "brick",

Poor wiring.

Just to clarify about cell phones. When your phone is on, it regularly sends and receives signals, even when you are not in a call. If this were a hazard for igniting flammables, we would be seeing many such cases. But it is not a risk of concern.

Archived