US Activist Detained At Suan Phlu IDC

george

AKHA CRUSADER: US activist detained at Suan Phlu

American had filed human rights complaint with UN

BANGKOK: -- An American activist who has campaigned vigorously against government mistreatment of hilltribe people in the far north of Thailand has been detained, and looks set to be deported, by the Immigration Police.

Matthew McDaniel, 46, was arrested when he went to extend his visa at the Mae Sai immigration office on Thursday, according to a friend who preferred not to be named.

The American was transferred to the Immigration Detention Centre in Bangkok. He told his family and associates on Friday that he had been declared persona non grata and deemed a threat to the country.

McDaniel believes the authorities want to expel him from Thailand because he arranged for a US lawyer to file a case about human-rights abuses with the United Nations, his colleague said yesterday.

A spokesman from the Immigration Department did not return a phone call late yesterday to confirm that McDaniel was being deported.

The American is from Salem, Oregon. He is married to an Akha woman, who is pregnant, his friend said yesterday. He also has four other children, who live in a remote village in Chiang Rai province.

The move to deport McDaniel was not unexpected, his colleague noted, adding that the US Embassy in Bangkok was aware of the case.

McDaniel produced "Akha Voices", a 270-page book which details disturbing allegations of abductions and extrajudicial killings by Thai army and police officers that it claims amount to "ethnic cleansing".

He has also attacked "the deceptive practices of US-based missionaries and their assumption of control over Akha children and their bold ongoing effort to completely eradicate Akha traditional culture with carefully placed lies".

The introduction to the book says McDaniel "is radically opposed to oppressive Thai government policies that destroy the Akha people at their most basic level of existence, their right to grow food, while at the same time trying to portray to the public and tourists that the government is the benevolent saviour of these 'unfortunate' people".

He is also described as a staunch critic of the US 'war on drugs', which he says has resulted in thousands of Akha being imprisoned "at the hands of the DEA [Drug Enforcement Agency]".

The book lists Akha people imprisoned in jails in Thailand and controversial circumstances surrounding some of these arrests. It says McDaniel has worked with the Akha in Thailand and Burma since 1991.

McDaniel is assumed to have been connected with leaflets distributed in Chiang Mai late last year seeking volunteers to "help SAVE an Akha village from loosing all its land".

Villagers in Hoo Yoh "had been told by government officials they could no longer farm land they had been farming for nearly 40 years. The villagers had been given no say in the process," the leaflets said.

The dispute affected more than 1,000 people, or 250 families, it said. The campaign encouraged people to come to Chiang Rai to join a protest camp and to read the website www.akha.org.

--The Nation 2004-04-18

''One American defends Thailand's Akha Hill Tribe''

Printed on Thursday, April 01, 2004 @ 00:02:02 CST By Antonio Graceffo

YellowTimes.org Guest Columnist (United States)

(YellowTimes.org) – Everyone in Northern Thailand has heard of the American, Matthew McDaniel, who lives in the jungle among the Akha hill tribe. But, if they are part of any group who is doing harm to the Akha, they may wish they hadn't. Called a one man NGO by his supporters and a bloody nuisance by his detractors, Matthew, functioning with little or no outside help, has been waging a one-man war, championing the human rights of one of Thailand's most marginalized, aboriginal groups.

Part Tarzan and part John Wayne, Matthew sports a large moustache, and wears an ancient cowboy hat and boots. On those rare occasions that he lowers himself to speak English, he speaks with a western twang. But, after marrying an Akha woman, siring children, and living in the village for thirteen years, one has the impression that he feels most comfortable speaking in the Akha language. In fact, he identifies so strongly with the people he defends that he often refers to anyone who exploits the Akha as "typical white men."

On his list of exploiters are the army, the police, the Forestry department, tourists, photographers, trekkers, researchers, and journalists. This, of course, is just the short list. His particular pet peeve is missionaries.

"The Forestry department steals the land," he said. "Photographers sell Akha images and don't give any money back to the villages. Trekkers pay 5,000 Baht to visit the villages, like some kind of human zoo. And the Akha only get about 20 Baht of that. Researchers make money writing books and publishing papers about the Akha. But they don't come to the villages and help. And the police and the army make illegal arrests, searches, and seizures." On his website, Akha.org, he has documented countless cases of injustice, including murder, which he has filed with the UNCHR and Amnesty International.

In spite of his distrust for the media, "they are all up here to make money on a story, without giving anything back to the Akha," Matthew was kind enough to let me ride along with him for several days and observe his work. His schedule is hectic, involving hours and hours of driving, serving thousands of Akha living in remote mountain villages. Akha come to him with such a diverse array of problems that, in a given day, Matthew acts as lawyer, doctor, counselor, teacher, policeman, friend, and provider. In between, he has to make time for his own family, and the farm work which keeps them fed.

Matthew and I rocket down the dusty mountain roads, which he knows like the back of his hand, taking hairpin turns at frightening speeds. "I like to drive," says Matthew. "This is the best time for thinking. It's also the best time to ask me questions."

I started by asking about the slogan, painted on the outside of his ancient farm truck, which says, "Missionaries steal Akha children."

"They split up the villages," Matthew yelled, with great emotion. "They take the children out of the villages, down to the mission schools." In the schools, the girls are forced to give up their traditional blue and black, skirts, and their headdresses, adorned with silver coins, in lieu of wearing school uniforms. The children are also prohibited from speaking Akha, as mission schools are conducted in Thai, Chinese, or English, the languages of the largest missionary groups. Mathew, who has created an alphabet and written a dictionary and primers for the Akha language, told me, "Less than two percent of Akha can read their own, native tongue. Why should they be learning a foreign language?"

Although children of both sexes are removed from the villages, Mathew believes that there is a bias towards removing girls. "The girls will finish the school, go to town, and marry a Thai. Back in the village, there is no one for the boys to marry." Matthew asks me a hard question, one he would ask over and over, during the time I spent with him. "Is that genocide?"

Leaving the inflammatory missionary subject for another time, I ask Mathew what the Akha want. In his typical, down to Earth, no nonsense manner, he looked at me like I was an idiot. "What do they want? They just want what you want, what everyone wants, to live and be left alone, so they can raise their families, in their own culture, and on land that they own and work themselves."

The situation faced by the Akha is reminiscent of injustices done to the Native Americans. Tribes in the U.S. were forcibly relocated, aggressively Christianized, and hammered into assimilation. But there was something uniquely horrible about the situation faced by the Akha; most are considered stateless persons. As the Thai government refuses to issue them Thai citizenship documents, they have no protections, no welfare, no recourse to the courts, and no reasonable expectation of justice. In practical terms, without proper Thai ID cards, they are prevented from holding down a job, owning land, voting, or even obtaining a driver's license. Even if they married a westerner, out of pure desperation, they would find no escape, as they would be unable to enter any foreign country, or leave Thailand, without a passport.

Remaining in Thailand, and suffering the fate of a voiceless minority is an inescapable fate for most Akha. "Less than twenty percent of them have a Thai ID card," says Mathew. He went on to say that the number who had a passport was so small as to be insignificant.

We stop along the way to meet an energetic Englishman, named Paul Hunt, who has been self funding his own Akha assistance program. Paul, who speaks neither Thai nor Akha, rides around Thailand on his motorcycle, visiting prisons, documenting and assisting the Akha inmates. Past experience has proven that it is easy for a marginalized person to fall through the cracks of the justice system, spending years in prison for minor offenses, suffering beatings at the hands of guards, or even being murdered. Once the prisoners are documented, there is a thin margin of safety, and Paul can then notify the family. Since many Akha don't have telephones or use the post, it may be impossible for a prisoner to contact his family himself. In Thailand, much of a prisoner's support and welfare is expected to be provided by the family.

"They don't even get tooth paste or soap if someone doesn't bring it in to them," said Paul, obviously agitated. "Once they realize I am there to help them, I get so many requests, it's impossible to fill them all." In one prison alone, 26 Akha prisoners requested shoes. "I do what I can, but I am just one man."

Paul told us that he had just returned from Laos, where he brought medical supplies to the Akha villages. "Everywhere I went, people lined up to be treated. But I'm not a doctor."

The Akha hill tribe live in Thailand, China, Burma, Vietnam, and Laos. When I asked if the Akha in other countries were any better off, Matthew just snorted. "You have to be joking me." He did, however, add that he believed that the Akha in China had full citizenship rights, and that the Chinese government was taking steps to help them maintain their language and culture. "Maintain the culture at the village level," said Matthew, "not in museums."

Our next stop was at an Akha village, called Hooh Yoh village, where a forestry project has taken nearly all the land. "They have stolen 8,500 rai of land from the 1,100 people, 250 families, living in the village," claimed Matthew.

"Why did they do that?" I asked.

"Because it was valuable." He laughed.

The information pamphlet, being circulated by the Forestry Department, claimed that the Thai government had seized the land to teach the Akha how better to grow crops. This didn't seem plausible, to Matthew, however, as the Akha already knew how to grow crops. How could there have been an educative intent, if there were no classes or demonstrations going on. Most of the workers on the farm were not even Akha.

"As a concession, the government said that one member of each household, who holds a Thai ID card, can turn up at the farm in the morning, and if laborers were needed, they would be permitted to work," said Matthew. Even if they had the ID card, how could the labor of a single household member, support an entire household?

The men gathered around to talk with Matthew. Although the small, bamboo village store seemed to be their regular meeting place, none of them bought a soda or a snack. In most Akha villages, families normally don't have a cash income of much more than 500 Baht ($10 US) per month. In this village, they didn't even have that.

"This is the village headman," said Matthew, pointing at one of the elders.

"He says they have enough rice to last until September. But since they have no land, they can't plant in June and July. So, that's it."

"What will they do after September?" I asked.

Again, Matthew made me feel like an over-fed moron, with the frankness of his answer. "They'll starve," he said, simply.

"Can they get a different kind of job?"

"Do you see jobs?" he asked, sweeping his arms across the barren, dusty village, where a severe draught had already ravaged the few plants which the Akha still owned.

"I guess not," I said.

"Do they have any plan at all?" I asked, desperately hoping for a happy ending.

The head man just looked down at his feet, and the animated crowd became silent.

The problem just seemed too big for me. For the Akha, the hopelessness of their situation proved completely debilitating. Again Matthew asked if this was genocide.

Although Hooh Yoh was the only village in immediate peril, on such a large scale, every village we visited was full of personal tragedy. In a bamboo hut, we visited a woman dying of cancer. She lay on a primitive bed, an emaciated form, with her ribs protruding from her loose garments, and her eyes rolled back in her head. Her breath came in long, tense intervals, when I feared she was already dead. The woman had no husband, and there was much concern about what to do with her three children.

Her younger brother, from a different mother, offered to take them. At only twenty years old, unmarried and unemployed, he didn't seem like the best choice to me. Matthew was also against this, but for different reasons.

"It is against Akha Law for the children to go to the mother's younger brother," he explained. "They can go to the father's younger brother, but never the mother's."

The Akha culture is based on a complex set of beliefs, called the Akha Law. This is a religion, a code of ethics and morals, and a history all rolled in to one. It encapsulates the songs, stories, and ceremonies of the village, while dictating people's behavior in daily life. Because of the law, every Akha knows who he is, and what is expected of him. The law tells people when to plant, when to marry, and when to build a house. Every house in an Akha village is laid out in a very specific way, so as to create harmony with the other houses. Because of Akha Law, a child knows how to recite the names of each of his ancestors, going back hundreds of years. This has the practical result of preventing cousins from marrying.

"But this village lost the Akha Law when they became Christian," said Matthew. "The missionaries prevented them from doing their traditions. Now, these children may go to the wrong person."

The Akha Law also creates a natural social welfare system. The whole village functions as an extended family. Although they still have the concept of my child and your child, all children are cared for by all members of the village. When a new house is built, a dog is slaughtered at noon, and a pig in the evening. The whole village comes to the feasts, so that even the poor will get some meat. This comes as a welcome diversion from a steady diet of rice, or worse, a steady diet of nothing. The Christian villages that we visited tended to be poorer, and have less of a sense of community, as they no longer performed ceremonies and traditions.

"What does the pastor say should be done with the children?" I asked.

The answer was shocking. "There is no pastor. After he converted the village, he left."

In another Christian village we met an Akha healer-woman. After the conversion of the village, she was prohibited from performing healing rituals. She had to stand by and watch helplessly, as first her husband, then her child, then her grandchild died of illnesses that she believed she could have cured. Now, at age 65, she is too old and infirm to work in the fields, but unable to make her living as a healer. Just as I thought the story couldn't get any worse, more tragedies appeared. The woman's only remaining daughter was blind. She married a sighted man, who fathered a son, and then took off. Now the only support for the woman, her, daughter, and grandson was the money provided by the blind girl.

"But how does she work if she is blind?" I asked.

"She knows all of the mountain trails," said Matthew, translating. "So, she walks out to the fields with a huge basket on her back. The other kids from the village tell her where the firewood is, and she goes on her hands and knees, feeling around. If the wood is too big for her basket, she cuts it with her machete. At the end of the day, she carries the wood back to the village and sells it."

The woman told us she hadn't eaten in days. As testament to how little the Akha understand the long range implications of their plight, she began pointing at parts of her body, saying, "My back hurts. I don't know why. My knees hurt. I don't know why. My teeth hurt. I don't know why."

"It's because she hasn't eaten," said Matthew, in an ironic tone. For all of the help Matthew gives to the Akha, he rarely gives them money. This is partly because he doesn't have much himself. "I have been here thirteen years, and I am still waiting for my first paycheck." And partly, I would imagine, because there are so many people who need help, how could he decide who needed it most?

Matthew opened his wallet and handed the woman enough cash to feed her family for several days.

We got back in the truck and made several more stops. We met a man who had been hung upside down from a tree and beaten for five days, by the army. We met orphans who had one parent murdered and the other jailed. We met Akha girls who lived away from home, for months at a time, working fourteen hours a day in restaurants in Chiang Mai, so they could send 2,000 Baht a month back to the village. In one case, the employer withheld half of the girl's pay, and there was nothing to be done. She had simply worked fifteen days for free. And her family would have half as much food for the month.

"Have you seen enough?" asked Matthew.

I said that I had. Of all the problems and all the worthy causes in the world, Matthew chose one, the Akha, to dedicate himself to. "If you don't do it that way, just concentrate on one, you will go crazy," said Matthew.

From all of the stories I had heard, the woman with the blind daughter was the story I would remember. She followed us out to the truck, and with tears streaming down her aged face, pressed huge chunks of sugarcane into our hands, as a way of thanking us. As she grew smaller in the rearview mirror, I knew that I would soon be back to the relative luxury of Chiang Mai. But she would still be suffering in the village, until she died.

You can contact Matthew McDaniel at [email protected].

Find out more about the Akha or make a donation at www.Akha.org.

Antonio Graceffo encourages your comments: [email protected]

YellowTimes.org is an international news and opinion publication. YellowTimes.org encourages its material to be reproduced, reprinted, or broadcast provided that any such reproduction identifies the original source, http://www.YellowTimes.org. Internet web links to http://www.YellowTimes.org are appreciated.

Source: http://yellowtimes.org/article.php?sid=183...=thread&order=0

:o thanks George for printing the article. Kinda puts your life and troubles into perpective. I am an american living in Hawaii and I understand that perpetuating native indigeous cultures is crucial to the definition of humanity. If we allow the helpless to be plundered and eliminated then it is only a matter of time before all with a sence of diversity will be treated likewise. The story make3s me fell very sad.

Unfortunately, Matthew's fate is not surprising. No country in the world - and especially the dear ol' USA - allows political activism of ex-pats or anyone from a foriegn country. It is a dilema ... too bad he did not obtain legal residency from his marriage -- although that statement assumes that his wife is also a legal Thai resident, which is probably not the case. Which kind of proves HIS point, now doesn't it ...

An Amercian In Thailand

PS - I do hope someone is listening about the US missionaries, however. That I would like to know more about, from reliable sources.

Unfortunately, Matthew's fate is not surprising. No country in the world - and especially the dear ol' USA - allows political activism of ex-pats or anyone from a foriegn country. It is a dilema ... too bad he did not obtain legal residency from his marriage -- although that statement assumes that his wife is also a legal Thai resident, which is probably not the case. Which kind of proves HIS point, now doesn't it ...

An Amercian In Thailand

PS - I do hope someone is listening about the US missionaries, however. That I would like to know more about, from reliable sources. quote

Unfortunately there is nothing to be added. But yet another story that makes one thinking and very sad.

Guest IT Manager

Many of you know my situation vis a vis my son.

Matthew is my friend. He has helped me work through many of the issues surrounding my sons' needs.

I cannot rail at insouciant fate about this, Matthew and I have both been aware of the posibility of this happpening for as long as I have known him which is almost 10 years.

If anyone has seen his book they will know what it involved.

I should point out, this IS NOT a Taksin thing. It has been like this for years, and no one chnages it. Nor does anyone seem to care enough to rage about it.

Matthew is right about the DEA from what I have seen, however. He says few things without providing proof of them.

A sad reflection on a beautiful country.

Thank you George for the posting from Yellowtimes.org

IT and proud adoptive father of an Akha Son.

This is the difficulty for anybody who sticks their neck above the wall with regard to injustices or corruption etc. here. Life is worth no more than a bullet, indeed considerably less if one annoys the wrong people.

The only advantage we, as foreigners, have in this country is that we have our countrys' diplomatic corps, who might make noises if the execution is too blatant.

better then being shot as a suspected drug dealer, resisting arrest.

Unfortunately the killing would be just a gangland style execution. The authorities would try to keep officialdom out of the equasion until they need to "investigate" it.

Perhaps the story could be passed on to as many news bureaux as possible. Maybe pressure might help, but I doubt it.

Guest IT Manager

Anyone know of any visitors to Soi Suan Plu? I have been asked by a couple of members about getting some money to Matthew if possible.

Easiest way is usually the Prison Visitors since the embassies aren't much chop, based on posts over the weekend. Perhaps Chris Hill might know.

Anyone know of any visitors to Soi Suan Plu? I have been asked by a couple of members about getting some money to Matthew if possible.

Easiest way is usually the Prison Visitors since the embassies aren't much chop, based on posts over the weekend. Perhaps Chris Hill might know.

Maybe too late. If he have good connections, and can arrange a one way flight ticket to US, he can fly out as early as Monday or Tuesday. Why sit there and wait?

Shame on the Thai Government!

They should make this man a hero but look what they do to him!

The hill tribe people got ran out of China possibly a long time ago and now a Man with Chinese ancestry and the PM of Thailand (Mr Toxin) is trying to finish them off!

Shame on this evil man! I hold him responsible with this great injustice!

I remember IT posting up an appeal from Matthew a few months ago requesting "volunteers" to go and be witnesses to the human rights abuses going on with the Akha and to protest about the arrest of 2 young foreign activists for doing exactly that - witnessing the brutality of the state forces against defenceless people. The posting attracted a lively debate for a few days and then faded away. Firstly, I'd like to ask IT whatever happened to those 2 girls - were they deported - or allowed to stay in Thailand? and secondly, has the case of the Akha been forwarded to the Thai Human Rights Commission or Amnesty International yet? These are two potential allies for the Akha, even though both organisations are overstretched with a multitude of cases as it is. Worth a try.

Missionaries should stick to their own mission in life, instead of other peoples. They have been the cause of more problems with minority groups, especially the "seventh day bicyclists" Followed closely by the "Smith" followers, the Church of Jesus Christ of latter day saints, known fondly by the masses as the morons.......Sorry that should read Mormons. Why on earth can't they keep to themselves, instead of trying to brainwash the masses. Thay are a continuing blight on the rear end of humanity........

Missionaries should stick to their own mission in life, instead of other peoples. They have been the cause of more problems with minority groups, especially the "seventh day bicyclists" Followed closely by the "Smith" followers, the Church of Jesus Christ of latter day saints, known fondly by the masses as the morons.......Sorry that should read Mormons. Why on earth can't they keep to themselves, instead of trying to brainwash the masses. Thay are a continuing blight on the rear end of humanity........

I agree with this 100%. They're all losers with an evil agenda. If you're going to help someone in need, it should be unconditional, no strings attached. I feel nothing but anger when I see these little pricks in short-sleeve white shirts and black ties around Thailand. GO HOME, YOU SOBS!

I agree with this 100%. They're all losers with an evil agenda. If you're going to help someone in need, it should be unconditional, no strings attached. I feel nothing but anger when I see these little pricks in short-sleeve white shirts and black ties around Thailand. GO HOME, YOU SOBS!

I don't think that the Mormons contribute a great deal to Thailand. Some missionaries do a wonderful job here.

In light of recent events, perhaps a little 'heads up' for expats might be in order.

Thailand is very much a police state. Thailand's government offers few rights to the general populace and none to foreign visitors.

Far too many tourists travel to Thailand under the impression it is a free and progressive country. This is very much the impression the Thai government wishes to give. Those who have ran foul of a governmental, with few if any exceptions, agency will tell you a far different story.

In regards to Matt McDaniel. We each, in our own ways, try to right wrongs and improve the world. Some limit the scope of their efforts to their own personal life and environment. Some make greater, broader efforts. There are few epople in this world who can claim to be free of all criticism. Thus is the way with human nature. We each have our own unique viewpoints. Matt is an irascible volatile man. He is by no means a statesman. Judge him, if you must, by his heart, not his words. He cares. Need we say more?

What this all means to the expat, is what happened to Matt can happen to anyone. You have no safeguards and no assurances. Thailands next door neighbor to the west is on record as one of the most vile in recorded history. You will find in many stories, current events and in the recent past, that the present Thai government is in full support of the Burmese junta. Let this be a character note kept in mind of all who have chosen to make Thailand their home. The new immigration laws very thinly disguise this. You, the expat, have only one thing going for you that seperates you from the oppressed hilltribe peoples and the Burmese refugees: money.

Thailands next door neighbor to the west is on record as one of the most vile in recorded history. You will find in many stories, current events and in the recent past, that the present Thai government is in full support of the Burmese junta. Let this be a character note kept in mind of all who have chosen to make Thailand their home. The new immigration laws very thinly disguise this. You, the expat, have only one thing going for you that seperates you from the oppressed hilltribe peoples and the Burmese refugees: money.

On top of that, where was Thailand when the 'killing fields' was made to an well known word combination? The Thai governmnet does not care, the latest reaction of the Thai ambassador in the UN human rights commision was defense of the Thai government and denying charges brought forward. He totally forgot that his role in that commision was the fight against human rights abuses. This nicely demonstrates the Thai attitude....

Dutchy

That's life, man. Don't forget it. Just reread your history books and you will see that this is the way it goes. It's nothing new. Just keep driving your cars and listening to your Walkman CD players. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. There is nothing to see here. You'll all forget about it in a couple of days at the most. It'll be the farthest thing from your minds, while you're on the beach with your bar girl (or whoever) feeling supremely satisfied and content with your liquor in one hand and your smoke in the other. We'll all stand around shaking our heads in our best intent of dismay, kicking at a pebble embedded in the hard dirt of life, and say, "Yep, it's a ###### shame." Then, we'll go home and set our alarm clocks to wake us for another day of slog at the mill, so that we don't end up like them. There is no other choice, because deep down inside nobody likes a loaf and you can't stop progress. So, just sit down and have Coke and a smile. One day, they'll either be assimilated or expired, which really is the only way. You can't have superstitious folks running around in the jungle all day, for Pete's sake! That's prime vacation property in there. Who wants to witness the ceremonial killing and eating of a dog anyhow, while you're reclining and trying to forget about the last 6 months of number-crunching at the office? This country should take responsibility and do what people have always done: round them all up, kill the men, use the women as incubators, and educate the children to believe in the flag that flies over their heads and to defend it with dignity and pride. They'll thank them in 100 years for liberating them from dirt floor existence and giving them Cheetos.

Guest IT Manager

Stoney, you cynic. Acerbic wit flies thither and yon.

Well put though. Watched a truck load of Burmese leave the immigration cage at lunch time.

Another day older and deeper in debt.

burmese students seem to do pretty well in Australia and the UK when it comes to activism. They have been known to stand outside travel agencies waving placards demonstrating against any travel to Burma. And it has worked !

But in Thailand is a different matter. it is sickening that Thailand uses the hill tribes in almost all their promo material to do with tourism.......in a way which to me seems to claim some ownership as part of Thailands culturally diverse make up..........but when it comes to human rights........bugger all. Such a hypocracy.

Just check out any brochure or website or pamphlet and you will see pictures of various 'hilltribe' people. Tour programs almost all include options to see 'hilltribes'. Genocide may take many forms.

Having worked in the Burmese Refugee camps and dealing with the various GOs NGOs...It is wise to pick the battles. Too much sadness occurs in the camp, yet you cannot help but admire the determination of the DP...and that of some of the workers in the field.. not in the AC offices,scooting around for funding to justify themselves and payoff the ""T"" officials.. :o

blimey! Blame Thailand? On the one hand rail against the government for not granting true freedom to its people, on the other hand blast it for allowing companies to do what most companies do - hunt money and not care who gets in the way.

Rights for hilltribe folk is no black n white issue. Do they consider themselves Thai? Usually no. Do they want to pay taxes for facilities they have no access to? No. Do they want to continue living within the (admittedly faux) borders LOS has established? I assume yes. It's a tricky one alright, and it can't be answered by moral outrage or blinkered "If I were PM.." statements.

Sarcy schtick about farangs having too much money to care is dull and like shooting fish in a barrell. People do what they do, and the easy life many enjoy here in LOS should not be a source of guilt (however amusingly wrapped in irony).

A country toying with international politics in order to maintain/develop business interests ain't a new thing. The UK has great arms sales around this time of year!

Whoops, ranting. Koh Tord

:D:D

real sad ...

and a big shame for the country.

do you think that it's going to make a front page in a Thai newspaper?

I don't think so, or may be just to say, "look at this man he is against Thailand, and we kick him out" .. up to the reader to discover who was Matthew ...

Now THAT's what you get for being an activist esp while NOT in your own country.

Baaaa!

:o

if you disturb they kick you out!

isn't it what is happening in any country?

I would not try in any african country ... I'm not sure they would take the time to kick me out ... a bullet is so cheaper!

the fact remains that he is the only one to raise a voice to alert the people about Akha's conditions of life.

it's a very sensitive point here as it involves mainly the military side.

yes, for sure he was disturbing some people here.

Matthew is paying the high price for defending his people, and he is American ...

imagine, if he were Thai ... he would be dead for long already!

sad, real sad :D

francois