Mekong river is rising in Chiang Rai province after China released water from dams

webfact

Mekong river is rising in Chiang Rai province after China released water from dams

253-wpcf_728x409.jpg

CHIANG RAI: -- The level of water in the Mekong river in Chiang Rai province is steadily increasing after China has released water downstream from Jinhong dam starting March 15.

Residents living on the bank of Mekong river in Chiang Saen district of Chiang Rai have been warned to exercise caution as the level of the river may suddenly rise up after China reportedly released about 2,000 cubic metre of water/second from Jinhong dam starting March 15 and will last until April 10.

The Chiang Rai office of the Marine Department predicted that the level of water in the Mekong river in Chiang Saen district might go up 3-5 metres but it would not spill over the river bank.

Mr Niwat Roikaew, a leader of the Mekong-Lanna conservation group, however dismissed as propaganda China’s claim that the decision to release water downstream was intended to ease drought problem in downstream countries.

He pointed out if China really wanted to help downstream countries such as Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam it should not have built a series of dams to block the natural flow of the Mekong river in the first place.

He said Vietnam and Cambodia are worst affected by the building of dams in China to harness the Mekong river.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/155768

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-03-18

Maybe some water expert might be of help here.

If I look at that picture (probably wet season) I believe 2000 cubic meters is just a splash.

That is only 44.5 * 44.5 meters by 1 meter high. Would that mean a warning for downstream residents? Raising levels at 3 to 5 meters?

The water release will last till april 10, but no mentioning how many cubic meters per hour/day.

Anyone have experience on this?

Maybe some water expert might be of help here.

If I look at that picture (probably wet season) I believe 2000 cubic meters is just a splash.

That is only 44.5 * 44.5 meters by 1 meter high. Would that mean a warning for downstream residents? Raising levels at 3 to 5 meters?

The water release will last till april 10, but no mentioning how many cubic meters per hour/day.

Anyone have experience on this?

quote from the OP "China reportedly released about 2,000 cubic metre of water/second from Jinhong dam starting March 15 and will last until April 10.

That is 7,200,000 cubic metres or water per hour or over 7 billion litres per hour. Multiply that by 24 and you will get the number of litres per day and multiply it again by the number of days (26).

172,800,000 per day

4,492,800,000 over the 26 day period

Archived