Bangkok police question man after dead baby found inside backpack

rooster59

Bangkok police question man after dead baby found inside backpack

Thaivisa Reporters

post-247607-0-45622900-1458346588_thumb.

Image:Dailynews

BANGKOK:-- A police patrol had a terrible shock when they stopped a motorcyclist acting suspiciously - they checked his backpack and found a dead baby inside.

The man claimed he was the father of the dead child who had died and he was driving around looking for a good place to bury the newborn.

The drama unfolded in a busy soi in downtown Lat Krabang, eastern Bangkok on Friday.

Thanongsak Loyha of the local police said they called over the 35 year old man after having suspicions he was up to no good. They asked to look inside his large black bag and had the grisly shock.

Inside was a suspected one day old male infant. Both the man, who the police called "Boy", and the dead child were taken to the Lat Krabang police station.

The man admitted that the child was his. "My wife was seven months pregnant, " he said. "We had not registered at a hospital because we are so poor.

"In the evening my wife gave birth but the boy was stillborn. I didn't know what to do. So I decided to find a place to bury him. I started driving around but I didn't know where to bury him."

That was when officers saw him and looked in the backpack.

The remains of the baby have been sent for autopsy to determine whether he died in the womb or after birth. If the latter, police said charges would be laid.

tvn.png
-- 2016-03-19

if the story is true, than the poor man must be suffering, also his wife as they could not even afford to go to a hospital for the birth! it is a sad situation when the thai GOVERNMENT, let me say that again! the THAI government cannot make some kind of provision for the poor! outside of the 30 Baht scheme which was started by a previous overthrown gov't I have not seen anything else . The Thai people are a compassionate people, but they cannot do that alone! Instead of submarines, carriers without any planes, some of the money should be for the poor!

if the story is true, than the poor man must be suffering, also his wife as they could not even afford to go to a hospital for the birth! it is a sad situation when the thai GOVERNMENT, let me say that again! the THAI government cannot make some kind of provision for the poor! outside of the 30 Baht scheme which was started by a previous overthrown gov't I have not seen anything else . The Thai people are a compassionate people, but they cannot do that alone! Instead of submarines, carriers without any planes, some of the money should be for the poor!

I still do not understand why he could not have gone to hospital under 30 baht scheme (free if truly in poverty) ?

Sad, if true,

They are so poor that riding around on motorbike,

even here not hard to go to the WAT and ask for help ?

Surely.

Army , police, nurses would have helped in some way,

if true, the man said the baby was dead! what do you think would have happened if he went to the "army" under this present gov't? what do you think would have happened if he went to the police? the only option was the hospital! and they charge! only the thai's know how they feel. most of the falangs here have been born and raised in a free country, those who have not have ran away from that gov't, pray tell where is a poor thai going to go?

Sad, if true,

Surely.

if true, the man said the baby was dead! what do you think would have happened if he went to the "army" under this present gov't? what do you think would have happened if he went to the police? the only option was the hospital! and they charge! only the thai's know how they feel. most of the falangs here have been born and raised in a free country, those who have not have ran away from that gov't, pray tell where is a poor thai going to go?

the only option was the hospital! and they charge! only the thai's know how they feel.

The hospital charges 30 baht to have a baby, it is not expensive for ANY Thai's.

The hospital charges 30 baht to have a baby, it is not expensive for ANY Thai's.

Not to mention that emergency room treatment is free. No Thai is too poor for childbirth care.
This man who can afford a motorcycle, and apparently his wife according to his initial story, have much bigger problems than he's saying. Either they are mentally unable to look after themselves or, far more likely, there's an actual crime here.
I have a feeling this man will be changing his story in pretty short order.

There are provisions outside of the 30 Baht hospital scheme but unfortunately all of the social welfare payments require the claimant to have, or to recently have had, a job, so they don't really help the poorest out at all.

There are compulsory pension payments taken from wages at 3% and topped up by another 1% by the government, resulting in a pension of 20% of the average wage earned.

Another 1.5% is taken from wages for sickness leave and this can turn into disability pension if the sickness continues, this is paid at a rate of 50% of average earnings, maternity pay is the same.

Another 0.5% of wages goes toward the social security fund and in cases of unemployment, benefit is paid at a rate of 50% of average earnings.

All families can claim Child Allowance of 350B per month per child under 6 and for a maximum of two children as long as they have made some social security fund payment in the last three years.

www.sso.go.th

Currently watching King ofvthrines series, when the occasional evening allows.

Not much difference between their barbarism (of the people or of the state) and what we still occasionally see today.

Sounds an interesting series! Can I have the title again please?

Sad, if true,

Surely.

the only option was the hospital! and they charge! only the thai's know how they feel.

It's expensive for some Thai people, if you have ever lived close to the poor Thai people you would know this.

Currently watching King ofvthrines series, when the occasional evening allows.

Not much difference between their barbarism (of the people or of the state) and what we still occasionally see today.

Sounds an interesting series! Can I have the title again please?

Sure, it's "King ofvthrines".

There is a dead baby story every day in Thailand. It's just not covered by the media.

Normally they are found in bins or some rancid pond/lake

You say the media covers up stories like this, then how do you know that this happens everyday?

Sad, if true,

Surely.

Perhaps you are confused, Wats are funded by charity, they do not provide it.

To seek help from the police, you need to believe that they have your best interests at heart.

It is very difficult to seek help when your whole life has conditioned you to believe that you amount to absolutely nothing.

The truly impoverished lack the sense of entitlement that would allow them to even hope there is a solution.

Now I don't know what this guy's situation is, but it is easy enough to see events as we understand them thus far play out credibly.

I still do not understand why he could not have gone to hospital under 30 baht scheme (free if truly in poverty) ?

Because that requires poper documentation, which many on the fringes of poverty simply don't have access too.

It's expensive for some Thai people, if you have ever lived close to the poor Thai people you would know this.

You are right. Some Thai people are so poor they cannot afford the fuel needed to cruise around on a motorcycle looking for a burial place for the dead baby in their spiffy backpack, like this presentably dressed man who is not wearing flip-flops.

You are right. Some Thai people are so poor they cannot afford the fuel needed to cruise around on a motorcycle looking for a burial place for the dead baby in their spiffy backpack, like this presentably dressed man who is not wearing flip-flops.

Reading and comprehension training needed by any chance, seeing as I was commenting on what some people can / cannot afford.

Sad, if true,

Surely.

To a temple

It gets expensive to go to the doctor every time your child has a runny nose, that is the whole idea of imposing a nominal fee, to prevent the hospitals becoming overrun by people suffering minor ailments, but it never gets expensive to pay 30 Baht per child birth, that is just ridiculous.

Here's what I think: Parents of the girl didn't like/accept her boyfriend, didn't know about the pregnancy either. Baby born, either by attempt to get rid of it or truly natural birth, suffocated to get rid of the "problem". This is the reason why no authorities, temple or hospital were ever contacted.

The story told by "Boy" stinks.

Archived