Malaysian tourists fleeced by Thai police end up getting their money back, only to return it to offi

rooster59

Malaysian tourists fleeced by Thai police end up getting their money back, only to return it to officers

Thaivisa Reporters

post-247607-0-08571800-1458347348_thumb.

Image: Manager.co.th

SONGKHLA:-- Two Malaysian tourists in the southern border town of Sadao who were suspected of being fleeced by police for having a "vaping" cigarette ended up getting their money back!

Then the tourists promptly returned it to other officers for their help in ensuring that justice prevailed!

The bizarre story unfolded when the two tourists were driving in downtown Sadao and were stopped by two officers at a checkpoint and searched. Officers found an electronic cigarette used for vaping.

The officers initially ordered them to pay 20,000 baht in fines but when the two men said they only had around 5,000 they settled for that. Later the two tourists filed a complaint with Sadao police and the officers involved have been suspended while an investigation takes place.

In a surprising twist senior officers feeling sorry for the tourists - Teo Zhen Yew and Teo Choo Hwee - returned the money. But the incident was not over. As a mark of thanks for their swift action in following up on the case and being fair the tourists donated the money back to the police.

Asked whether they would be arrested again for using electronic cigarettes in the kingdom, the police said "may pen rai" or never mind.

tvn.png
-- 2016-03-19

are ecigs illegal in thailand?

Technically yes. Sale has been prohibited for some time but many of my friends use them and seem to have no trouble getting the liquids etc.

I suspect that, in this case, the officers were using the possession of the kit as an excuse to buy some tea.

"tourists donated the money back to the police" = So they are effectively condoning the initial actions, well done idiots! Not surprising from a country that "Says nothing" to their PM receiving 1 B in cash while the average person eats lunch for 2 bucks a day.

Technically yes. Sale has been prohibited for some time but many of my friends use them and seem to have no trouble getting the liquids etc.

I suspect that, in this case, the officers were using the possession of the kit as an excuse to buy some tea.

The actual possession and use (personal use only) is legal (90% sure on that) but the import for sales purposes is illegal. New Ministry of Commerce regulations make "e-cigarettes" and other items banned from transfer in and out of Thailand.

http://nwnt.prd.go.th/CenterWeb/NewsEN/NewsDetail?NT01_NewsID=WNSOC5902190010019

The 8 goods that have been banned from being transferred in and out of Thailand include products that infringe upon intellectual property, reproductions of licensed goods, hookahs and E-Cigarettes, gaming devices, elephant products, ancient artifacts, Buddhist paraphernalia and caffeine. Those caught attempting to leave or enter the country with such items will be fined and imprisoned as well as have the goods confiscated along with any implements for transport.

In country, vaping is not allowed where smoking is not allowed.

So they are effectively condoning the initial actions

No, they got the original two officers suspended. Then they rewarded the police for acting fairly, and bought themselves some goodwill in the process. It's a game, one that Westerners seem to find baffling but that fellow Southeast Asians understand perfectly.

"tourists donated the money back to the police" = So they are effectively condoning the initial actions, well done idiots! Not surprising from a country that "Says nothing" to their PM receiving 1 B in cash while the average person eats lunch for 2 bucks a day.

You must understand that them donating the money back is actually a form of tea money to ensure that they are taken completely off the police radar and not bothered during their future escapades, whatever they may be.

But there is no corruption in the BIB ranks, just 'misunderstandings'

I simply don't get it. Robbed, unrobbed, robbed, unrobbed, unhappy, happy. I give up.

is this the same as getting scammed by the scammer ... ?? and then unscammed by the scammer ... ?? blink.png

The funny thing is that I bought a vaping (e-cigarette) kit in Bangkok years before they became available in Western countries. So they must have made them illegal since then. Why? Because of the tobacco lobby?

Is this part of the same warped world-view that sees playing bridge is the worst form of gambling? Don't they know that vaping is often recommended as a way of at least alleviating the craving for nicotine without having to endure the tar and other bad chemicals in cigarette smoke? Some medics recumbent vaping as a way of getting off cigarettes for good.

Songkhla Cops Charged, Suspended for Extorting Malaysian Tourists

By Teeranai Charuvastra
Staff Reporter

post-247607-0-81169800-1458373282_thumb.

Songkhla police commander Krissakorn Plithanyawong apologizing to the Malaysian tourists on Friday at Sadao Police Station.

SONGKHLA — Two police officers in the border province of Songkhla are facing criminal charges for allegedly forcing a pair of Malaysian tourists to pay 20,000 baht for a bogus offense.

Lt.Cpt. Phuwanart Noampan, 37, and Sen.Sgt.Maj. Hanchet Madadam, 41, are also suspended from the police force until the court reaches its verdict, the commander of Songkhla police Krissakorn Plithanyawong told reporters on Friday.

“We will be fair to all sides involved,” said Maj.Gen. Krissakorn. “For the moment, we have suspended the two officers.”

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1458364976

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-03-19

Oh thank you for scamming me and being honest in your corruption. Here please accept what you scammed me of for being so ethical and honest members of the police.

Where else on earth would the police be rewarded for being so corrupt and unethical

...would be nice to be provided with a comprehensive list of what is legal and what is illegal in this country....

LOL.... Complete with daily updates, given the seeming chang ability of the law and its interpretation

The funny thing is that I bought a vaping (e-cigarette) kit in Bangkok years before they became available in Western countries. So they must have made them illegal since then. Why? Because of the tobacco lobby?

Is this part of the same warped world-view that sees playing bridge is the worst form of gambling? Don't they know that vaping is often recommended as a way of at least alleviating the craving for nicotine without having to endure the tar and other bad chemicals in cigarette smoke? Some medics recumbent vaping as a way of getting off cigarettes for good.

E cigs are readily available on the net... Or at central, if you live in Phuket.

That said, I believe that the use of these products is still illegal, because authorities have yet to complete studies proving that e cigs are non carcinogenic, so therefore, to avoid future tobacco type lawsuits, the governments, worldwide, have yet to approve them (e-cigs) for use.... Read... Arse covering.

Never heard of anyone being stopped or fined for having one, before, but I have noticed that air stewardesses are now including them in their pre flight speech ( non use on board).

And... IMHO... These cops need suspending, investigating, charging, prosecuting and imprisoning for extortion ( by a person in a position of trust/ power)

The cops searched the Malyaysians.

Did they have a court warrant?

Or can they do that whenever they like for no reason at all?

I am asking this because I want to be prepared for situations like that.

I am not sure that it would be easy and without danger for me if I just refused them to search me or my car.

Anybody experience?

Would it help to show the cops a paper that informs them about my right to refuse their searching - and that I know about it?

Has anybody prepared something like this? Or any other helpful plan? would be greatly appreciated

So as a foriegner you can be fined 20,000THB for having an e-cigarette but if you're Thai and you kill 5 people and injure 27 recklessly driving a bus that isn't maintained you only get fined 2,000THB. OK Thailand I think I understand how it works now.......NOT

If the senior officers had any morals or brains (and of course they don't), they would have turned down the money to try and set an example that taking money for doing your job is just not acceptable for a cop.

This story was already getting coverage and now they are seen taking the same bribe money as they junior officers that got suspended. How stupid are they?

Archived