Facebook post goes viral as Ubon farmer takes King Cobra that bit him to hospital!

rooster59

Facebook post goes viral as Ubon farmer takes King Cobra that bit him to hospital!

Thaivisa Reporters

post-247607-0-10399100-1458347971_thumb.

Image: Sanook News

UBON RATCHATHANI:-- An Ubon man who was bitten by a four metre king cobra killed the snake and took it to hospital with him on a motorbike before passing out. He is now in a critical condition in a coma.

The story of Suthee, 37, Bun Wai Klang sub- district in the north eastern province caused an internet sensation as debate raged as to whether he did the right thing in taking the snake with him.

It emerged that Suthee was bitten by the 8 kilo monster in a field while resting in a shack.

A man claiming to be a doctor on Facebook said that taking a snake into hospital with you may not be the right thing to do. Dr "Maew" said: "It is true that if the snake is identified it can lead to the right serum being administered.

"But the person bitten must be careful in killing it that the identity of the type of snake responsible is not obliterated by hitting it. And is it really dead? The snake could bite the person again or valuable time could be lost leading the victim to lose consciousness before ever reaching hospital and die as a result."

Fortunately for Suthee he reached the local hospital on his motorbike before he lost consciousness. He was later transferred to a bigger hospital as he had slipped into a coma with his situation described as critical.

Village elder Bunyiam Silathip said the victim was resting in a shack when the snake slithered in and bit his right leg. He killed the snake and drove his bike into the village to tell his mum and dad and Bunyiam that he had hit the snake. He was still alright at this stage as the venom had not taken effect.

He asked for money for his hospital bill before taking off for treatment. Doctors administered serum but it is not known whether Suthee will survive.

tvn.png
-- 2016-03-19

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some quite strange reasoning in the statements, not obliterating the ability to recognise the snake and being sure it is dead should be straightforward.

Should we just take the head?

One hell of a snake that, plucky guy.

Money for the hospital bill? - what ever happened to the "30 baht health scheme" - In someone's time of need where is that now? How would people living in the "Subsistence Economy" be able to afford hospital bills? Maybe he can trade a coco nut for a 50k hospital bill?

facepalm.gif This has nothing to do with the correct Serum or feeling sorry for My Fangs.......

It;s just another example of Thai Superstition !

Killing a King Cobra is considered very bad luck.

I hope the guy comes out of his coma and survives.

It is always recommended that if bitten by a snake, after killing it, to take it to a hospital for identification, so that the correct serum may be given

I, and I imagine many people would not know that the snake in the photograph was a King Cobra. No good telling the Doctor-------"It was a bloody big snake!"

smell a Rat

Sorry King Cobras do not slither in and bite people for no reason it will attempt to flee first before ever striking more likely he was messing with it

here we go. theres always someone who doubts the story

Well,...it's always good to have a critical mind and doubt every story.....!!!

And by the way, it's true that king cobras don't just come in and bite you. most snakes avoid humans and move away when humans come closer or opt for a defensive position as to warn anybody...Only Pit vipers don't move away and stay put. As far as I know...

Most snake bites happen by accident, when disturbing a sleeping snake.

Best regards.

smell a Rat

Sorry King Cobras do not slither in and bite people for no reason it will attempt to flee first before ever striking more likely he was messing with it

I smell a rat also.

This snake would rather avoid confrontation and will try very much to attempt to escape. It will only be aggressive and strike a human if cornered and feeling threatened and being provoked.

If continuously provoked, then yes ...the King Cobra can be highly aggressive and will strike. Same as you... I highly suspect the guy was messing with it.

Young, D. (1999). "Ophiophagus hannah". Animal Diversity Web. the King Cobra is undoubtedly a very dangerous snake ("Behavior" section)"

Cornett, Brandon (2012). King Cobra – Ophiophagus hannah. Reptile Knowledge

"National geographic- KING COBRA". They are fiercely aggressive when cornered (line 28–29); average life span in the wild: 20 years (fast facts)

smell a Rat

here we go. theres always someone who doubts the story
but for once, a reasonable doubt, based on everything I've read about snakes....

smell a Rat

Tell that to the Cobra that came into my lounge whilst I was sitting at my desk..sad.png

It doesn't count if they are wearing heels, short skirt and eyeliner

It is always recommended that if bitten by a snake, after killing it, to take it to a hospital for identification, so that the correct serum may be given

I, and I imagine many people would not know that the snake in the photograph was a King Cobra. No good telling the Doctor-------"It was a bloody big snake!"

Damn sure I would be taking the snake in ... ideally dead ... despite the self preservation response from the doc

If you can read this, thank a teacher >>>> He killed the snake and took it to hospital with him on a motorbike before passing out.

Could be some folks either cant read and/or think logically..

e.g.>>>

It looks like he is quite happy demonstrating his cobra. Did he think about himself as a bitten person? This "famous" picture might cost him his life.

You cast aspersions on at least the female nurse that she didnt have him elsewhere and on a stretcher. That guy who ever he is looks quite healthy and not about to pass out?

Maybe no-thanks to a teacher with You??

Is that nurse a rice farmer ? Do you mean was that guy a male nurse or were you having a go at the post above? wink.png

Regardless, It will be a pity for some loved ones if he doesn't survive. Here's hoping.sad.png

I kill every snake that comes my way. Just to play safe.

stupidity, try reading a book on them first, cobras eat other snakes, kill a cobra get more snakes, most snakes in Thailand not dangerous to "umans"

They will slither away asap if they feel you coming.

As mentioned some pit vipers dont namely malay pit viper which is very common all over thailand

"Must kill snake so hospital can identify."

STOP

Just say, "Big snake, 4 meter long, make hood."
Oh! King Cobra. Get the antivenom of this man, stat!!!

Hopefully the man pulls through. What possessed him to what to kill a King Cobra to bring it in for identification is beyond me. Spending the time to do that may ultimately cost him everything.

I sincerely hope this guy is OK.

I think he may have wasted valuable time by going to see his parents before going to hospital, killing the snake and taking it to hospital may have been the most certain may to ensure there is no doubt what the snake was, but I just hope he did not waste valuable time in doing so.

Scary stuff indeed, though usually snakes go out of their way to avoid people and usually only attack if they feel threatened.

Remember: Humans are many times more dangerous than any snake.

Archived