Facebook post goes viral as Ubon farmer takes King Cobra that bit him to hospital!

rooster59

I doubt the Cobra bit him while he was asleep, Snakes don't do that only if provoked. I'd say he was trying to catch it to sell to a snake farm or as a prize and got bit. To save loosing face against a snake he has said he was asleep. Hope he recovers.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Killing a King Cobra is considered very bad luck.

Really? We had to kill one here a few years ago, not the poor KC's fault really- the dogs were harassing it no end, putting themselves and us in danger. Anyway, we made a nice soup out of it which was quite OK. I don't recall much in the way of subsequent 'bad luck', unless you are referring to this nation and it's pitiable direction. The King Cobra is quite different to the cobra btw- in spite of their similar names. Cobra venom is worse.

The brave, plucky farmer deserves to survive- and no, I don't think it just slithered up and bit him while he was resting. But bringing the snake to hospital allows them to administer the correct antivenine more quickly.

I don't kill snakes on sight, at all. The snakes here aren't aggressive anyway (try growing up in Sth Australia!). We get lots of snakes around here actually. The strangest thing I've seen is when a small cobra and a tokay got in a grapple- the cobra won, thanks to venom. The last one I saw was a Malayan krait, in the last week, just after sunset. I admired it for a while from the safety of my car, until it slithered off. Had to remove a banded krait from our outside dunny one time too- but it was daytime, they just sleep then. A dustpan and brush was all that was needed. Oh, krait venom is much worse than cobra- about 50% chance of survival.

But as someone pointed out, the most deadly snake in Thailand/ Malaya is the pit viper, it kills far more people than any other snake. They mainly bite you by accident really, they just wait in leaf litter for their prey (ie, not you). But the subsequent necrosis and infections therefrom can kill you- even though it's venom is nowt compared to a krait, or a brown snake, or a mamba. Have a nice day. smile.png

smell a Rat

Sorry King Cobras do not slither in and bite people for no reason it will attempt to flee first before ever striking more likely he was messing with it

If he really was asleep it is possible that the cobra either slept close by as well or was passing by and he turned over, arm falling down at the snake or something and then she attacked, feeling threatened. I see no reason for the guy to lie about that, especially not while hanging between life and death...

I sincerely hope this guy is OK.

I think he may have wasted valuable time by going to see his parents before going to hospital, killing the snake and taking it to hospital may have been the most certain may to ensure there is no doubt what the snake was, but I just hope he did not waste valuable time in doing so.

Scary stuff indeed, though usually snakes go out of their way to avoid people and usually only attack if they feel threatened.

Remember: Humans are many times more dangerous than any snake.

They have anti venom to cover all snakes it is not necessary to identify the snake

I think he may have wasted valuable time by going to see his parents before going to hospital, killing the snake and taking it to hospital may have been the most certain may to ensure there is no doubt what the snake was, but I just hope he did not waste valuable time in doing so.

Scary stuff indeed, though usually snakes go out of their way to avoid people and usually only attack if they feel threatened.

They have anti venom to cover all snakes it is not necessary to identify the snake

Are you being serious? It is absolutely necessary to identify the species.

There is a general anti venom for bites when a patient has no idea which one it was that bit ...... however, it works best if a specific anti venom for that type is administered. ..... but if you do not know..... and, best if not easily done, not to spend the time or energy killing it, chasing it etc and possibly getting bitten again

smell a Rat

Sorry King Cobras do not slither in and bite people for no reason it will attempt to flee first before ever striking more likely he was messing with it

Tell that to the Cobra that came into my lounge whilst I was sitting at my desk..sad.png

Trans, please do not move now. We'll come and rescue you tomorrow. Stay calm. smile.png

There is a general anti venom for bites when a patient has no idea which one it was that bit ...... however, it works best if a specific anti venom for that type is administered. ..... but if you do not know..... and, best if not easily done, not to spend the time or energy killing it, chasing it etc and possibly getting bitten again

Most people got mobile phones these days. A photograph should be enough.

You can't be serious. https://www.thailandsnakes.com/tag/snake-bite-treatment/

I am absolutely serious and no it isnt

I'm no expert, but would certainly dispute your claim.

Money for the hospital bill? - what ever happened to the "30 baht health scheme" - In someone's time of need where is that now? How would people living in the "Subsistence Economy" be able to afford hospital bills? Maybe he can trade a coco nut for a 50k hospital bill?

"30 baht health scheme" is the biggest scam by Thaksin.

It only covers you in the Amphur where you have your house book.

It was designed to keep his loyal farmer voters home in Issan, think if they came out in the world and discovered that all he told them was a lie.

smell a Rat

here we go. theres always someone who doubts the story

Snakes will always take the easy way out, and only if confronted will bite. I also reckon he was either provoking it, or woke up and startled it.

Been around snakes all my life and never yet known one to attack for no reason wai.gif

smell a Rat

I don't think you are right here, a King cobra that size aren't even afraid of a buffalo. They know they rule.

smell a Rat

here we go. theres always someone who doubts the story

Snakes will always take the easy way out, and only if confronted will bite. I also reckon he was either provoking it, or woke up and startled it.

Been around snakes all my life and never yet known one to attack for no reason wai.gif

I have seen that.

I'm no expert, but would certainly dispute your claim.

I had a friend who had multiple deadly poisonous snakes since he was a teenager and he got bitten, killed the snake, a black Mamba and brought it with him to the hospital.

If he lost consciousness before he arrived to hospital or lost his ability to speak clearly, staff at the hospital would know what snake bit him.

He made it, but is seriously affected the rest of his life by the venom.

I doubt the Cobra bit him while he was asleep, Snakes don't do that only if provoked. I'd say he was trying to catch it to sell to a snake farm or as a prize and got bit. To save loosing face against a snake he has said he was asleep. Hope he recovers.

Then he would most probably not get bitten in the leg, King cobras raise themselves up and strike down.

The size of that cobra would most probably bite him on his upper thighs, arms or hands. Cobras and most other snakes can't see very good so they aim for the warmest biggest spot and that is the torso.

I kill every snake that comes my way. Just to play safe.

That's really stupid thing to do, you are more likely to catch a disease from an infected rat or mouse roaming around on top of food in a local store than to get bitten by a snake, more than 50% of the snakes in Thailand are non poisonous.

You do know that there's almost only one animal in Thailand that kills rats and mices on a regular basis here in Thailand and I'm NOT counting in dogs or cats, as they might kill some.

Snakes live of them,

Read through this site and you might get enlightened, https://www.thailandsnakes.com/thailand-snake-notes/thailand-snake-note-bitten-by-snake/

Snakes are very, very important for our health, much more so than they do bad.

Apparently there's a way to protect oneself from a fast death or serious ill effects from a King Cobra's bite and that's drinking alcohol mixed with turmeric.

Preventive method, so people living in areas of a lot of KC's, drink the mix every day and you will stand a hell of a lot better chance to survive but this trick is maybe only for snake charmers.tongue.png

Ref. Wikipedia:

In Thailand, a concoction of alcohol and the ground root of turmeric is ingested, which has been clinically shown to create a strong resilience against the venom of the king cobra, and other snakes with neurotoxic venom.[37] Proper and immediate treatments are critical to avoid death. Successful precedents include a client who recovered and was discharged in 10 days after being treated by accurate antivenom and inpatient care.[31]

That's really stupid thing to do, you are more likely to catch a disease from an infected rat or mouse roaming around on top of food in a local store than to get bitten by a snake, more than 50% of the snakes in Thailand are non poisonous.

You do know that there's almost only one animal in Thailand that kills rats and mices on a regular basis here in Thailand and I'm NOT counting in dogs or cats, as they might kill some.

Snakes live of them,

Read through this site and you might get enlightened, https://www.thailandsnakes.com/thailand-snake-notes/thailand-snake-note-bitten-by-snake/

Snakes are very, very important for our health, much more so than they do bad.

Am sure you are right, BUT, the one in my lounge who had a problem with Mrs.Trans being there was not welcome...In fact I was not allowed to take the thing out cos of.....Karma...even though it was spitting shit...........rolleyes.gif

Wow, I'm both sad and excited because I didn't know until just now there are spitting cobras, "Naja sumatrana" in Thailand, here apparently called golden spitting cobra.

Sad because you killed it, but I would too if it came in to my home and I couldn't get it out.

But it would be with a broken heart.

I had non venomous snakes when I lived in Sweden and, believe it or not, we formed a strong bond between us, my daughter and Desdemona (the boa constrictors name we gave her) especially.

No one believes me when I tell stories about Desdemona, how smart she was and much feelings a snake can have.

They aren't mindless creatures with only the goal to kill in mind.

Accidents happens and it also happened to me being a little too overconfident of Desdemona's ability to see the live rat I dangled by it's tail, a meter in front of her.

She struck but so it happens, caught my thumb and my index finger instead of the rat.

Her teeth were razor sharp so when she realized what she had in her mouth, which she did in half of a second, she let go and crawled away under her favorite rock and didn't come out until the day after. She was a feisty snake with a lot of energy and normally she made in to a play game to be difficult to lift up, catching anything her tail could get hold of until I "won", this time the day after she was very placid and didn't put up a fight when lifting her, normally she would slither under my shirt after a tug of war and warm herself ringling her 3.5 meter body around mine, but not this time, only lay there on my shoulders and not moving an inch, took quite a few days for her to get back to normal and she didn't eat either, even if I let the rat into her terrarium to run around free.

I had two severe cuts on my fingers and it was bleeding profusely, but my main point with this post to you and hopefully others, they do know what their food is and who is their enemy, or friend in this case.

Last but not least, my affection for snakes is because I have had snakes and some friends had some poisonous and learned that they prefer to bite their future food instead of us, but they might do it in either their defence of by mistake.

The lad in the post probably had the misfortune to be resting, sleeping or stepping onto the snake when it slithered into his resting place.

I'm just guessing but one of my former posts tells you why I believe this is a more likely event than he provoked the snake and he got bitten by it.

I have seen unprovoked attacks by snakes but they were already tensed and agitaded, by what I can only speculate.

Got plentiful more stories about snakes, both in the wild and as pets but I will save them for my memoirs. whistling.gif

stupidity, try reading a book on them first, cobras eat other snakes, kill a cobra get more snakes, most snakes in Thailand not dangerous to "umans"

They will slither away asap if they feel you coming.

As mentioned some pit vipers dont namely malay pit viper which is very common all over thailand

I trust those Malays have WP's and aren't on overstay.

smell a Rat

I smell a rat also.

This snake would rather avoid confrontation and will try very much to attempt to escape. It will only be aggressive and strike a human if cornered and feeling threatened and being provoked.

If continuously provoked, then yes ...the King Cobra can be highly aggressive and will strike. Same as you... I highly suspect the guy was messing with it.

Young, D. (1999). "Ophiophagus hannah". Animal Diversity Web. the King Cobra is undoubtedly a very dangerous snake ("Behavior" section)"

Cornett, Brandon (2012). King Cobra – Ophiophagus hannah. Reptile Knowledge

"National geographic- KING COBRA". They are fiercely aggressive when cornered (line 28–29); average life span in the wild: 20 years (fast facts)

Perhaps he did what every Thai child used to be warned against in a well known fable and feels a bit embarrassed to admit the truth?

That is, the snake was out in the field looking a bit cold and lethargic. So upon seeing it, the farmer takes pity on the poor animal and takes off his shirt and warms it up. As soon as the snake warms up and gets it a bit lively, it takes one look at the farmer who cared for it and promptly sinks his fangs in his leg and the farmer ends up dying. Thus, the moral of the story is no matter how pitiful a dangerous animal looks, it is always a dangerous animal.

My guess is he gave it a bit of a cuddle in that shack of his, and the snake didn't take kindly to the attention. gigglem.gif

Archived