Facebook post goes viral as Ubon farmer takes King Cobra that bit him to hospital!

rooster59

smell a Rat

Sorry King Cobras do not slither in and bite people for no reason it will attempt to flee first before ever striking more likely he was messing with it

here we go. theres always someone who doubts the story

Thanks god for that.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently there's a way to protect oneself from a fast death or serious ill effects from a King Cobra's bite and that's drinking alcohol mixed with turmeric.

Preventive method, so people living in areas of a lot of KC's, drink the mix every day and you will stand a hell of a lot better chance to survive but this trick is maybe only for snake charmers.tongue.png

Ref. Wikipedia:

In Thailand, a concoction of alcohol and the ground root of turmeric is ingested, which has been clinically shown to create a strong resilience against the venom of the king cobra, and other snakes with neurotoxic venom.[37] Proper and immediate treatments are critical to avoid death. Successful precedents include a client who recovered and was discharged in 10 days after being treated by accurate antivenom and inpatient care.[31]

Now that you mentioned that, my neighbor claims he is immune to cobra bites. It seems there is a local witch doctor that makes a potion, dips a needle in the potion and pricks the skin between each knuckle on both hands. Of course my neighbor has never been bitten by a cobra but he is 100% sure he is immune.

As hot as it is today, just watching that gave me cold chills. Reminds me of when I was a boy and we would go down into Tennessee with my father (looking for good moonshine). There was a tourist trap that had a guy living in what was called a rattlesnake pit. Concrete pit about 30' X 30' and 12' deep. There were many rattlesnakes all over the floor.

The latest news report I saw said the 37 year-old victim Suthee had regained conciousness and was now able to pass urine. Prior to this he was unconscious and had suffered kidney failure. Doctors have also operated on the wound removing some of the infected tissue.
His father, 74 year-old Jampa Samruatjai, said he'd never come across such a large King cobra before, at 3.8m. He continued that ancient superstition said that the King Cobra's partner would come and seek revenge against the person killing its other half. The dead snake was a female and if his son pulls through he will go to the spot the snake was killed and ask forgiveness. Meanwhile the snake has been preserved in a jar and put on display at the local temple where locals have gathered to look for clues to the numbers of the next lottery draw.

There are mono-valent serums for specific species, and poly-valent ones that cover many.

Whilst in Africa I had a phial of Sanofi-Aventis Fax-Afrique, which covered all of the 10 deadly species in our area, including Black Mamba, which is arguably one of the most dangerous venomous snakes in the world. This is due not only to it's venom being the fastest acting snake venom, but also that it is both haemo and neuro toxic.

After the King Cobra the Mamba is the largest venemous snake, they have been estimated to move at 22 km/h. Also, especially during the mating season, they are extremely aggressive, they will in fact chase you (according to how pi**ed-off they are).

At our local hospital (a hut with a bed) in Tanzania someone enquired to the doctor if he treats many snakebite victims, to which his reply was "they don't tend to bring dead people to me!".

Species identification is important when only mono-valent serum is available.

I sincerely hope this guy is OK.

I think he may have wasted valuable time by going to see his parents before going to hospital, killing the snake and taking it to hospital may have been the most certain may to ensure there is no doubt what the snake was, but I just hope he did not waste valuable time in doing so.

Scary stuff indeed, though usually snakes go out of their way to avoid people and usually only attack if they feel threatened.

Remember: Humans are many times more dangerous than any snake.

They have anti venom to cover all snakes it is not necessary to identify the snake

There are mono-valent serums for specific species, and poly-valent ones that cover many.

Whilst in Africa I had a phial of Sanofi-Aventis Fax-Afrique, which covered all of the 10 deadly species in our area, including Black Mamba, which is arguably one of the most dangerous venomous snakes in the world. This is due not only to it's venom being the fastest acting snake venom, but also that it is both haemo and neuro toxic.

After the King Cobra the Mamba is the largest venemous snake, they have been estimated to move at 22 km/h. Also, especially during the mating season, they are extremely aggressive, they will in fact chase you (according to how pi**ed-off they are).

At our local hospital (a hut with a bed) in Tanzania someone enquired to the doctor if he treats many snakebite victims, to which his reply was "they don't tend to bring dead people to me!".

Species identification is important when only mono-valent serum is available.

I sincerely hope this guy is OK.

I think he may have wasted valuable time by going to see his parents before going to hospital, killing the snake and taking it to hospital may have been the most certain may to ensure there is no doubt what the snake was, but I just hope he did not waste valuable time in doing so.

Scary stuff indeed, though usually snakes go out of their way to avoid people and usually only attack if they feel threatened.

Remember: Humans are many times more dangerous than any snake.

They have anti venom to cover all snakes it is not necessary to identify the snake

Wow...that's faster than most farangs at the 30 baht beer specials

Money for the hospital bill? - what ever happened to the "30 baht health scheme" - In someone's time of need where is that now? How would people living in the "Subsistence Economy" be able to afford hospital bills? Maybe he can trade a coco nut for a 50k hospital bill?

"30 baht health scheme" is the biggest scam by Thaksin.

It only covers you in the Amphur where you have your house book.

It was designed to keep his loyal farmer voters home in Issan, think if they came out in the world and discovered that all he told them was a lie.

I don't agree with you about the 30 THB scheme is a scam, couple of years back I had to go to hospital, I got a twig in my right thigh when out jogging.

Pulled it out but a few days later my thigh swelled up like balloon, went to a private hospital but they told me I had to wait until 8 am as no doctors had arrived for work, this was 7am, also they would charge me 17 000+THB not including post treatment, to make a cut to dispose the puss, my Med insurance doesn't cover out patient.

I left quickly as the pain was excruciating, went to Vachira which is nearby to BKK hospital.

Got in and within 45 minutes a doctor had cut my thigh open, a nurse extracted all puss and the doctor had prescribed me 10 vials of intravenous antibiotic, gave me one within the 45 minutes I was there. That cost me 1 100THB with exam, medication and treatment.

I'm a westerner and they didn't check where I lived or anything else other than make a copy of my drivers license.

I had to go to a state run clinic in Rawai to get the infusion of the rest 9 vials, flush the open cut with saline and new bandage.

Every visit was a whopping 100 THB smile.png.

Considering I 'm a foreigner, I was probably charged 10 times more than if it was a Thai person.

I suspect the snake bitten man didn't have to pay anything as he was an emergency case.

Just a footnote, very lucky guy indeed as getting into a coma after a snake bite from a King Cobra mostly renders death.

Kamai said;-

If he lost consciousness before he arrived to hospital or lost his ability to speak clearly, staff at the hospital would know what snake bit him.

He made it, but is seriously affected the rest of his life by the venom.

Actually this makes good sense but if our Thai man had only done this without delay a picture specimen would have spoken a thousand words that he couldn't speak after collapsing.

Now days in Oz a general antivenom treatment is the go BUT there are no Cobra's.

But re an actual picture, did he ave a phone? I didnt read enough.

Any word of his recovery? Hope so,

Kamai said;-

If he lost consciousness before he arrived to hospital or lost his ability to speak clearly, staff at the hospital would know what snake bit him.

He made it, but is seriously affected the rest of his life by the venom.

Actually this makes good sense but if our Thai man had only done this without delay a picture specimen would have spoken a thousand words that he couldn't speak after collapsing.

Now days in Oz a general antivenom treatment is the go BUT there are no Cobra's.

But re an actual picture, did he ave a phone? I didnt read enough.

Any word of his recovery? Hope so,

Sorry, I meant overall this makes good sense referring to the fact that A snake, any snake, had bitten him explaining his plight as he passed out.

A bonus maybe to know which type.

...in such a country...shouldn't they carry the serum at EVERY hospital....???

It's very expensive for small hospitals/clinics to stock as the serum has a best before date.

I need a serum for love aka, as Stupid Farlang Fever ,

I lose house , and buffalo , again facepalm.gif

Archived