Video of feeding frenzy by ‘greedy’ Chinese tourists in Chiang Mai goes viral

rooster59

Unfortunate t say but I did see something similar at a hotel in London. This time though it was Thai's that were doing it

I want to clarify that I have seen piggish behavior by Thais but at a much lesser degree. It wouldn't be at the level of a viral video. Just garden variety greedy stuff.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shawn0001. Reading through this topic, it would seem it is right to generalise about Chinese tourists and their behaviour in Thailand.

All these Thaivisa members cannot be wrong, what would they have to gain by it?

Of course there are decent Chinese people like in any other country, but this topic is about Chinese tourists here in Thailand.

There is no getting away from it, their behaviour is disgusting, and I do not blame any hotels or other businesses for banning them.

Would you like a link to an antisemitic site? Perhaps you would then feel that it "seems right" to generalize on Jews due to the sheer number of members on the site, meaning that they simply cannot be wrong? After all, what would they have to gain by it?

There are decent Chinese coming to Thailand as well, perhaps if you moved in slightly more sophisticated circles you would have seen them, perhaps you simply cannot afford to go anywhere near the places where high class Chinese tourists go?

There is getting away from generalizing on a whole nation based on the actions of a few low class package tourists, there really is, it is called getting away from being a bigot. To suggest banning a race based on these peoples actions says it all about you. You really would have gotten along great with the Nazi's, their signs said, "No Jews", and you would not have blamed them, right? Shameful stuff man.

I suppose it you had a hotel or ran a buffet in Pattaya, you would be happy to have these Chinese groups as customers? As I said, the topic is not about Chinese people

in general, it is about the groups or busloads of them and their behaviour in Pattaya, it is disgusting and that's it. End of debate.

This is a public forum, you do not get to decide when the debate ends.

That is not what I complained about and you know it, if you read through the comments they are not all criticizing tourists in Pataya, (by the way the incident was in Chiang Mai), they are generalizing on Chinese people, they are calling them a sub-species, animals and such like, that is not acceptable behavior and in many countries it would amount to a criminal offense. Simple stuff, not that I would expect a defender of apartheid to get it. Bye.

I dont care who you are, where you come from, your age, gender, race, nationality...whatever

there is simply no excuse for behaviour like this

Of course there's an excuse. There's plenty of people from around the world who aren't familiar with all-you-can-eat buffets that haven't been trained in the etiquette of eating at places like these.

There was an agenda - this video was taken and posted to disparage Chinese people. This behaviour could very well have been a daily occurrence at this particular buffet, allowed by the owners and the guests pay enough to cover the wastage. We don't know if they were charged for the wastage - they probably were. It actually looks like a special buffet put on for a large Chinese tour group.

A lot of people are liking anti-Chinese comments on these posts. Shame on you! People are quick to show their feelings when certain nationalities are on display doing things they don't like.

Congratulation you are a knight of the politically correct smile.png

But I guess you are wrong about those people not trained in the etiquette of eating at places like these.

I am convince it is a question of personal sensibility, and respect for others.

Some persons with no education at all, even Amazonian tribe people with no tie at all with the civilisation would behaved with more dignity.coffee1.gif

It's interesting and shows the clash of cultures especially on the BTS overhead train in Bangkok on business mornings or evenings. There is a quite respectful practice by most Thais, other Asians and foreigners when queuing for the trains, and they can be terribly crowded at peak hours.

I have seen smaller groups of Chinese tourists who, instead of queuing up to the sides as the arrows indicate, will just blatantly stand in front of the doors, where people are exiting and try to push in and start boarding early. There are guards at the BTS who blow the whistle and come over and straighten them out, and I think they get the message from all the dirty looks they get from everyone else. They will learn soon enough if exposed to enough of this.

Why are none of these comments removed for race baiting? Is it assumed that there will be no ethnic Chinese reading to be offended by the blatant racism?

Don't be so politically correct, such a Western trait. This thread is commenting on the appalling behaviour of the Chinese tours.

Sadly many of us have come across their terrible behaviour , so it is being racist ( is being Chinese a race?)

So easy on every situation to spout- you are racist.

Unfortunate t say but I did see something similar at a hotel in London. This time though it was Thai's that were doing it

I want to clarify that I have seen piggish behavior by Thais but at a much lesser degree. It wouldn't be at the level of a viral video. Just garden variety greedy stuff.

Totally agree with you. That was the one and only time I saw such actions by Thais

There was an agenda - this video was taken and posted to disparage Chinese people.
I'm sorry, but it was not Swedes or Americans doing this. No one singled out the Chicoms for this; they provide this sort of spectacle and other similar ones with alarming regularity.
Hatred and racism in the making.
I'm sorry again, but this sort of manically rude behavior will never endear love, so hatred? Yes. Racism? Of course, deservedly so. This is no isolated incident and whatever group of people routinely act abysmally rude and inconsiderate to such an outlandish degree will be derided. No, not every last Chinese is like this, but when you meet them on their holidays, there is a preponderance of evidence to prove this case beyond a reasonable doubt.
...and some people wonder why the Hong Kong Chinese look down on and hate the Mainlanders.
The HK'ers call them "locusts," which the mainlanders take great offense to.
People visit Thailand from all around the world. People have different eating habits all over the world. Some people like to eat with their hands, others prefer to eat on the floor. Some people eat with their mouths open, others with mouths shut.
Although I wouldn't want to eat at that buffet because I hate pushing and shoving, but by the looks of it it's a Chinese group of like minded diners and the only ones getting upset are the snobs on this forum who believe the whole world should conform to their way of life.
Yeah, right. The "everyone has a right to be obnoxious" post. If you see this video and the behavior as just a cultural difference, with no value judgment attached, you are fooling yourself. You are right; this is an international forum and anyone from any society (even the Chinese) view this as embarrassing and neanderthal-like behavior. There are universal norms in all societies that circle around reasonable decorum and behavior becoming a civilized man; do you see any semblance of this in the video?
You really would have gotten along great with the Nazi's, their signs said, "No Jews", and you would not have blamed them, right? Shameful stuff man.
Well, man, have you ever seen a sign outside an eating establishment saying, "No shirt, no shoes, no service"? No one is recommending exterminating all people without shoes or shirts. No one is suggesting gassing all the Chinese. You are working from a false syllogism.
------------------------------
I find it interesting that nearly every post here deplores the behavior in the video, when previously I (having lived 20 years consecutively in Free China) and others have pointed this sort of thing out before and were routinely panned as overreacting. The fact is this is just the tip of the iceberg.
As for the "why" behind this, there are a variety of factors, but one predominant one is that Chinese have little in the way of "shame" and a hollow sense of "remorse." That, teamed with the Chinese mindset of holidaying among the "little brown natives" in Thailand, who are beneath them in every way, creates the perfect atmosphere for these shenanigans.

Why are none of these comments removed for race baiting? Is it assumed that there will be no ethnic Chinese reading to be offended by the blatant racism?

Don't be so politically correct, such a Western trait. This thread is commenting on the appalling behaviour of the Chinese tours.

Sadly many of us have come across their terrible behaviour , so it is being racist ( is being Chinese a race?)

Obviously Chinese is a race... Didn't you see the video?

They are racing to see who can nab the most prawns ???

Having spent a considerable amount of time in China and having a number of Chinese friends, it saddens me to see these people behaving in such a churlish manner. I have been to buffets in China and never seen this behaviour by such a large proportion of people present, usually just the odd few. This was just sickening.

Travel is becoming affordable for the less well educated in China and some neuvo riche who really are the most boorish people on earth. I actually winced as I watched this revolting behaviour.

The racism in this thread is appalling. This is a video of a small group of people behaving badly. Not so badly that they have caused any harm to anyone else but just badly enough to enable hundreds (possibly thousands) of people online to denigrate all 1.3 billion Chinese people.

Once you turn into a racist; you have lost all the "moral superiority" that you thought you had.

Most of the people on this forum were too young to remember the hordes of newly prosperous working-class British who invaded the Costa Brava in Spain for cheap holidays in the early fifties. Most of them had never stayed in a hotel or flown in an aeroplane. They had never drank wine before and they indulged in an orgy of drinking it, because it was so cheap. They were not well educated and many lacked good manners. Their behaviour was not much better than the present wave of newly prosperous working-class Chinese, taking cheap holidays in Thailand. At least they don't walk around half naked covered with tattoos like many western tourists

This thread is about Chinese tourists behaving badly. Are there any other off topic comparisons you want to make? Russians? Somalis? Koreans? BTW, you are most certainly not 'elite', you are, however, an insufferable snob. And no, I've never visited the Costa del Sol.

Obviously Chinese is a race... Didn't you see the video?

They are racing to see who can nab the most prawns ???

A gentleman of quick thinking wit!

Thank you - not often posts make you laugh!

Generalizing about a race on a forum is not being politically incorrect, it is being morally incorrect, do you also think that morals are a Western trait?

Anyway, yeah, it's pretty easy to spout that they are racist when they are calling Chinese people "animals" and a "sub-species", but carry on, defend the bigotry and criticize those who are appalled by their racism, I am sure you know what you stand for.

And yes, Chinese is an ethnicity not a race, but if you are clutching at that straw then you will only expose yourself as looking for ways to be racist without being able to be called a racist, anyway, racism is an umbrella term that covers race, ethnicity and culture, so we got you covered, racist apologist.

And they do not need <deleted> visa to get here! Disgraceful bunch of animals.. Generally speaking. I'm tired of being shoved.. Bumped into.. Cut off.. Walking.. Driving by Chinese. They order meals.. Eat it.. And then complain of quality and try not to pay! Farang are hassled in Chiang Mai for visa.. Helmets.. Licence.. But not Chinese! Pitiful.

I spent many years doing business in China and had to travel internally quite a lot. You get use to it and have to let it wash over you, after all it is their country. When they then visit another country on mass (many for the first time) they act as they would at home because they know no other way. I am sure all of those involved will not understand what the fuss is about nor give a damn.

For Thailand it is big business to have the Chinese tourists especially when the western ones are choosing to go elsewhere. It is ironic that when Thaksin was in charge he was committed to attracting "quality" tourists and knocking back the back-packers and cheap charlies. How the tide has turned.

Do not be confused; this is NOT racism.

All races, all peoples can have bad moments. The Chinese on holiday are routinely observed conducting themselves appallingly. Everywhere.

Americans have their moments, as do "Eurotrash" and South Koreans and Russians.

But only the Chinese nearly universally exhibit their special brand of behavior in such high numbers.

Draw your own conclusions.

Saying, from vast and lengthy experience, that the Chinese tourist is generally inconsiderate, rude, crass and barbaric is not being racist. It's stating a fact.

It's interesting and shows the clash of cultures especially on the BTS overhead train in Bangkok on business mornings or evenings. There is a quite respectful practice by most Thais, other Asians and foreigners when queuing for the trains, and they can be terribly crowded at peak hours.

I have seen smaller groups of Chinese tourists who, instead of queuing up to the sides as the arrows indicate, will just blatantly stand in front of the doors, where people are exiting and try to push in and start boarding early. There are guards at the BTS who blow the whistle and come over and straighten them out, and I think they get the message from all the dirty looks they get from everyone else. They will learn soon enough if exposed to enough of this.

That's what a lot of South Asians do on the Metro in Dubai.

Suprising how many you can carry away from the train when you put your arms out and propel 100Kg in their direction.

biggrin.png

I used to visit China quite often but i just got sick of the dirty and rude habits...disgusting breed of people, I have no desire to ever go there again.

Chinese people in general have no manners having never heard of etiquette or sharing. They're on the same par as vultures or pigs dining at the slaughterhouse being over fed before the obvious eventuality. These people people commit one of the deadly sins GREED with a flair and don't give a jot if anyone else suffers. They're a total and utter disgrace with their frenzied eating habits and miserly ways when buying anything and it's well known Thais despise these wayward pigs pent on getting anything for free.

Enough said !!!!

Most of the people on this forum were too young to remember the hordes of newly prosperous working-class British who invaded the Costa Brava in Spain for cheap holidays in the early fifties. Most of them had never stayed in a hotel or flown in an aeroplane. They had never drank wine before and they indulged in an orgy of drinking it, because it was so cheap. They were not well educated and many lacked good manners. Their behaviour was not much better than the present wave of newly prosperous working-class Chinese, taking cheap holidays in Thailand. At least they don't walk around half naked covered with tattoos like many western tourists

This thread is about Chinese tourists behaving badly. Are there any other off topic comparisons you want to make? Russians? Somalis? Koreans? BTW, you are most certainly not 'elite', you are, however, an insufferable snob. And no, I've never visited the Costa del Sol.

It is not "off topic" to invite people to empathize, obviously. Perhaps it does not fit your China hating agenda and so you would prefer it was just not there so that it could not have the positive influence on people it was clearly intended to have?

when observing Chinese in situations like this one must understand that 30 years ago the people in China were standing in food lines waiting for rations. The timid ones didn't get fed; thus the mad scramble for food. Unfortunately, even in today's relatively prosperous times, they still act like hogs at the feeding trough.

There was an agenda - this video was taken and posted to disparage Chinese people.
I'm sorry, but it was not Swedes or Americans doing this. No one singled out the Chicoms for this; they provide this sort of spectacle and other similar ones with alarming regularity.
Hatred and racism in the making.
I'm sorry again, but this sort of manically rude behavior will never endear love, so hatred? Yes. Racism? Of course, deservedly so. This is no isolated incident and whatever group of people routinely act abysmally rude and inconsiderate to such an outlandish degree will be derided. No, not every last Chinese is like this, but when you meet them on their holidays, there is a preponderance of evidence to prove this case beyond a reasonable doubt.
...and some people wonder why the Hong Kong Chinese look down on and hate the Mainlanders.
The HK'ers call them "locusts," which the mainlanders take great offense to.
People visit Thailand from all around the world. People have different eating habits all over the world. Some people like to eat with their hands, others prefer to eat on the floor. Some people eat with their mouths open, others with mouths shut.
Although I wouldn't want to eat at that buffet because I hate pushing and shoving, but by the looks of it it's a Chinese group of like minded diners and the only ones getting upset are the snobs on this forum who believe the whole world should conform to their way of life.
Yeah, right. The "everyone has a right to be obnoxious" post. If you see this video and the behavior as just a cultural difference, with no value judgment attached, you are fooling yourself. You are right; this is an international forum and anyone from any society (even the Chinese) view this as embarrassing and neanderthal-like behavior. There are universal norms in all societies that circle around reasonable decorum and behavior becoming a civilized man; do you see any semblance of this in the video?
You really would have gotten along great with the Nazi's, their signs said, "No Jews", and you would not have blamed them, right? Shameful stuff man.
Well, man, have you ever seen a sign outside an eating establishment saying, "No shirt, no shoes, no service"? No one is recommending exterminating all people without shoes or shirts. No one is suggesting gassing all the Chinese. You are working from a false syllogism.
------------------------------
I find it interesting that nearly every post here deplores the behavior in the video, when previously I (having lived 20 years consecutively in Free China) and others have pointed this sort of thing out before and were routinely panned as overreacting. The fact is this is just the tip of the iceberg.
As for the "why" behind this, there are a variety of factors, but one predominant one is that Chinese have little in the way of "shame" and a hollow sense of "remorse." That, teamed with the Chinese mindset of holidaying among the "little brown natives" in Thailand, who are beneath them in every way, creates the perfect atmosphere for these shenanigans.

So, you can't see the difference between a dress code and racial separation? And you want to talk about "false syllogisms"?? cheesy.gif

Some of the commentators claiming the replies are "racist" are really missing the point. While a few might be motivated with that in mind, most people are making an observation on Chinese cultural "habits", such as pushing each other in line, talking very loud, gang-rushing food lines, exits, and, yes, the way many of them act at all-you-can-eat buffets. Americans look just as crude and tasteless when they line up at stores 24 hours or more before they open, sleep overnight on the sidewalk, have a mad scramble when the doors open, and fight over sale items when the stores open the day after Thanksgiving. It's not a racist observation. It's just people pointing out what appears to be offensive and without a sense of propriety.

when observing Chinese in situations like this one must understand that 30 years ago the people in China were standing in food lines waiting for rations. The timid ones didn't get fed; thus the mad scramble for food. Unfortunately, even in today's relatively prosperous times, they still act like hogs at the feeding trough.

False. I traveled extensively in mainland China in 1987-88. There was NEVER a single person in any of the 21 cities I stayed in standing in line for "rations."

"The timid ones didn't get fed..." Haha...that's classic. Have you been drinking that Wiki Kool-aid again?

The only food lines I ever saw were in Beijing and Xian for the cities' super tasty (and super popular -- thus the line) shue-jiao (water dumplings).

It always pays to talk to people who have actual experience and not rely on that internet thing for "facts."

Shawn0001. Reading through this topic, it would seem it is right to generalise about Chinese tourists and their behaviour in Thailand.

All these Thaivisa members cannot be wrong, what would they have to gain by it?

Of course there are decent Chinese people like in any other country, but this topic is about Chinese tourists here in Thailand.

There is no getting away from it, their behaviour is disgusting, and I do not blame any hotels or other businesses for banning them.

Would you like a link to an antisemitic site? Perhaps you would then feel that it "seems right" to generalize on Jews due to the sheer number of members on the site, meaning that they simply cannot be wrong? After all, what would they have to gain by it?

There are decent Chinese coming to Thailand as well, perhaps if you moved in slightly more sophisticated circles you would have seen them, perhaps you simply cannot afford to go anywhere near the places where high class Chinese tourists go?

There is getting away from generalizing on a whole nation based on the actions of a few low class package tourists, there really is, it is called getting away from being a bigot. To suggest banning a race based on these peoples actions says it all about you. You really would have gotten along great with the Nazi's, their signs said, "No Jews", and you would not have blamed them, right? Shameful stuff man.

I suppose it you had a hotel or ran a buffet in Pattaya, you would be happy to have these Chinese groups as customers? As I said, the topic is not about Chinese people

in general, it is about the groups or busloads of them and their behaviour in Pattaya, it is disgusting and that's it. End of debate.

This is a public forum, you do not get to decide when the debate ends.

That is not what I complained about and you know it, if you read through the comments they are not all criticizing tourists in Pataya, (by the way the incident was in Chiang Mai), they are generalizing on Chinese people, they are calling them a sub-species, animals and such like, that is not acceptable behavior and in many countries it would amount to a criminal offense. Simple stuff, not that I would expect a defender of apartheid to get it. Bye.

"This is a public forum, you do not get to decide when the debate ends."

Yes I do, and nobody tells me what to decide and what not to. If any poster wants to end a debate, who are you to tell him/her not to because it's a public forum?

I'm telling you now this debate is now ended.

Archived