Video of feeding frenzy by ‘greedy’ Chinese tourists in Chiang Mai goes viral

rooster59

Video of feeding frenzy by ‘greedy’ Chinese tourists in Chiang Mai goes viral

Thaivisa Reporters

post-247607-0-00912600-1458437173_thumb.

We all love an all you can eat buffet, but this is ridiculous! Image: People’s Daily, China

CHIANG MAI:-- The behaviour of a group of Chinese tourists gorging on an all you can eat buffet in Chiang Mai has been widely criticised on Thai media, reports Thaivisa News.

A video showing the feeding frenzy was posted on the Shanghaiist website and shows Chinese tourists pushing each other out for the way in order to try and scoop up large plate fulls of prawns.

If the behaviour of those in the video wasn’t bad enough, pictures taken later revealed that much of the food actually went to waste.

post-137452-0-58939000-1458437290_thumb.

Image: People’s Daily, China

The video has now been viewed more than 3.5 million times and as well as being reported by Thai media, has also been reported by Chinese state media.

Commenting on the video, one netizen wrote: "What on earth? Have you never eaten shrimp before? Could you lose any more face abroad?"

While another comment read: "I don't know who's more savage... those old people trying to fill their plate with shrimps like there's no tomorrow, or that one lady with THREE plates pilled up, LOL."

Hotel staff were said to be dismayed at the behaviour, while Thai media have lambasted the actions of those in the video, calling them ‘greedy Chinese tourists’.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YE3irZMtO8&feature=youtu.be

tvn.png
-- 2016-03-20

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the airport yesterday, it was like being in China. Of course, the main entrance door has about 100 Chinese people just shouting at each other with their carts and bags, blocking anyone from entering or exiting the airport, or just to walk past them. I had to physically push them so I could get past.

I have a couple of Thai friends, husband & wife, who have a nice lunch buffet, and they are on the list of the tour agencies of places to eat. All it took was 2 bus loads of Chinese for them to call the tour agencies and demand that NO MORE CHINESE tourists be directed to their buffet. The wife told me that she would rather shut the place down than to serve another group of "filthy pigs from China".

I wonder if this behavior is a direct result of China having a large population of people who are unaware of manners.

I think they are taught "don't hang back or you will miss out!"

Wherever they go, they have to fight to get their share or miss out.

Good manners are not rewarded.

Has anyone seen this type of behavior in Bangladesh or India?

I wonder if this behavior is a direct result of China having a large population of people who are unaware of manners.

I think they are taught "don't hang back or you will miss out!"

Wherever they go, they have to fight to get their share or miss out.

Good manners are not rewarded.

Has anyone seen this type of behavior in Bangladesh or India?

Yes there is such "push to get what you need" mentality in India, but it doesn't apply to food buffets like this. I believe the Indians have a little bit more class/shame than these... people.

Just let them pay for the food that was not eaten. The Thais wanted the Chinese tourists now they got them.

This is why my small hotel in Bangkok (50 rooms) put themselves in the circuit for Chinese group tours then after only 2 groups visited the hotel owner withdrew from the group tour list.

They arrived on mass for breakfast, took the whole food warmers to their tables not just plates, tried to tell people already seated to leave, plus the mess all over the floor, vast amounts of wasted food, several families had plastic bags which they filled with prepared breakfast food which they took away for their meals later in the day. Plus the yelling from room to room all day, refusal to pay for extras (beer), and more.

Difficult to comprehend why the Chinese tourists act like this. When on an Air Asia flight from Phuket to Bangkok in early February this year, the plane was full of Chinese passengers. Immediately upon landing everyone was on their feet and grabbing their bags from the overhead lockers. The plane had to stop on the runway and wait for ten minutes of air traffic to be cleared before proceeding for another ten minutes to the terminal. In that time there was a near riot on the plane with the Thai Air-hostesses desperately trying to persuade everyone to put their bags back into the lockers, sit down and belt up again. The Chinese gave the Air-hostesses serious verbal grief and this continued when we finally started to disembark. Unbelievable behaviour. I am sure many of us have witnessed similar scenes in a variety of tourist settings where the Chinese are shouting, barging past, spitting and being generally foul. What IS the matter with them?

Archived