Video of feeding frenzy by ‘greedy’ Chinese tourists in Chiang Mai goes viral

rooster59

I have seen Chinese men do this in Jomtien, but in a drunken state. Thai management in the restaurant did not do a thing, most Thai families moved tables, or left (some without paying, as the staff were basically hiding). I actually saw one Thai mother shielding her children's gaze from the spectacle as they left. It took several threatening falang to quieten them down. They wanted to argue loudly (a bit of Dutch courage I would suspect) but they soon enough realized they were in deep sh*t.

Thailand will rue the day that they "invited" these uncouth people into their country. Just the same as pigs putting their snouts in the feed troughs. Same same.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What does the chief of TAT say about this sort of crap from the Chinese ? Twelve months ago she told Thailand to be patient with them, they will improve with guidance. I know where I would like to guide by size 10 boot.

Wil the yuan crash? That would be interesting.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Oh man I would love to see that. I have thought that every time I see these Chinese hordes. But that's not going to happen soon, and besides it will not do any good for the world economy. They are too much of a main player now.

Been to china a few times and this is how they carry on….Not very nice at all…..Was once at a Chinese hotel at breakfast time the noise was unbelievable ..slurping, slopping, grunting, pushing , heaving….. Had to smirk a little tho…the Thais calling others "Greedy" talk about "pot calling the kettle black" lol. Many times been with a group of Thais who order far more than they will eat, a lot of it gets wasted at the end of the night.

Why are none of these comments removed for race baiting? Is it assumed that there will be no ethnic Chinese reading to be offended by the blatant racism?

All these comments must be true or there would not be so many of them, so why should they be removed?

The ethnic Chinese won't be offended, because they will know it's true, and will be used to it.

All these comments must be true or there would not be so many of them

How did you work that one out? So, if enough people generalize on a race then it just simply must be true? cheesy.gif I'm sure you'd have got along along great with Goebbels, that was basically how he justified the holocaust.

The ethnic Chinese won't be offended, because they will know it's true, and will be used to it.

You truly think these generalizations would stand true for ALL Chinese, or do you suspect that some of these traits might just be found among the lower class package tourists coming to Thailand? Judging 1.5 billion people on the actions of a few in cheap resorts and on cheap flights is so ludicrous it would be laughable if it wasn't so hurtful. Do you really think that a Chinese person would accept this level of generalization on their whole race just because they know that some Chinese people are like this? Perhaps you don't know that China has a very good standard of education, a system that makes the likes of the Australian high school system look like an underachieving kindergarten. I just can't imagine many Chinese people being so thick as to accept this level of idiotic generalization.

I dont care who you are, where you come from, your age, gender, race, nationality...whatever

there is simply no excuse for behaviour like this

Of course there's an excuse. There's plenty of people from around the world who aren't familiar with all-you-can-eat buffets that haven't been trained in the etiquette of eating at places like these.

There was an agenda - this video was taken and posted to disparage Chinese people. This behaviour could very well have been a daily occurrence at this particular buffet, allowed by the owners and the guests pay enough to cover the wastage. We don't know if they were charged for the wastage - they probably were. It actually looks like a special buffet put on for a large Chinese tour group.

A lot of people are liking anti-Chinese comments on these posts. Shame on you! People are quick to show their feelings when certain nationalities are on display doing things they don't like.

It might be a result of Chinas one child policy. The one and only child are spoiled and treated like a small God.

When these kids grow up they have no social skils at all.

And act like. Shame on China.

Wil the yuan crash? That would be interesting.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Oh man I would love to see that. I have thought that every time I see these Chinese hordes. But that's not going to happen soon, and besides it will not do any good for the world economy. They are too much of a main player now.

Particularly not Thailand's economy, due to the increase in dependency Chinese trade, a crash would mean prices would increase here more than most places.

On my first day in Singapore, I was wondering why they charge people extra for leftovers from an "all you can eat" buffet. Having breakfast the next morning I learned,- this is the only way for a restaurant with Chinese customers to survive.

Some of them even came with plastic bags in their Louis Vuitton handbags to bring as much as possible home. Now you can imagine why all Chinese Buddha statues are fat, while the original (Gautama) was not.

It used to be like this in the sandpit; I remember when the supermarket salad section charged per the size of container. They used to fill one up, put it in a carrier bag and keep filling.

After the poor Asian checkout staff got abused once too often for daring to try and stop them, every single one of the supermarkets went to charging either by weight or prepacked containers.

Essentially the greed of these high class tourists will probably drive hotels to come up with an equally effective measure.

Ahh, the racism card is shown again. Get a life shawn0001 !!

Yeah, life's a game of football where we are shown "cards" when we are naughty boys, clearly you are a thinking person.

By the way, when you want to reply to someone then click on reply, otherwise you risk appearing as a coward who is afraid to receive a reply yourself.

I wonder if this behavior is a direct result of China having a large population of people who are unaware of manners.

I think they are taught "don't hang back or you will miss out!"

Wherever they go, they have to fight to get their share or miss out.

Good manners are not rewarded.

Has anyone seen this type of behavior in Bangladesh or India?

Yes there is such "push to get what you need" mentality in India, but it doesn't apply to food buffets like this. I believe the Indians have a little bit more class/shame than these... people.

I've been to many Indian buffets in Pattaya with Indian tour groups and no they don't behave at all like that. In fact I've noticed they tend to take much less than westerners.

Shawn0001. Reading through this topic, it would seem it is right to generalise about Chinese tourists and their behaviour in Thailand.

All these Thaivisa members cannot be wrong, what would they have to gain by it?

Of course there are decent Chinese people like in any other country, but this topic is about Chinese tourists here in Thailand.

There is no getting away from it, their behaviour is disgusting, and I do not blame any hotels or other businesses for banning them.

The pictures were bad enough, but the wee video was rather disturbing to watch.

But.... there are a lot of Thai businesses that still chase the Chinese business, like the king bird nest restaurant in Phuket.

Funnily enough, as an avid gardener, I wanted to see these king bird nests, thinking the place was a garden center... Duh!

When my wife and I tried to enter, we were stopped, because we weren't Chinese... They kind of explained why, when questioned, and we left happily enough, as no way was I going inside to compete with the Chinese in eating birds nest.

I've noticed somewhat similar behavior by young Thai men at hotel breakfast buffets. Like if there are hot dogs, they stack their plate with them, cleaning out the table. Always amazes me as Thai hot dogs are so disgustingly bad.

I have been at a lot of buffet breakfasts over the years, especially in Pattaya, and have never seen any bad behaviour, but again you are there all the time

and like you, the TV posters have no reason not to be truthful about it.

About 9 years ago I stayed at the Windsor Suites Hotel in Bangkok and witness the exact behavior from Chinese tourist.

In 2011 I was in Sydney at the Darling Harbour seafood market.......I have seen animals in Africa eat with more dignity!!!

We holidayed in bali last Christmas. First class service. Clean environment. Good English speaking professionally run tourist operations. Tons of western tourists comming back year after year after year and loving it. As one commenter noted... you reap what you sow (???????)

Shawn0001. Reading through this topic, it would seem it is right to generalise about Chinese tourists and their behaviour in Thailand.

Of course there are decent Chinese people like in any other country, but this topic is about Chinese tourists here in Thailand.

There is no getting away from it, their behaviour is disgusting, and I do not blame any hotels or other businesses for banning them.

Would you like a link to an antisemitic site? Perhaps you would then feel that it "seems right" to generalize on Jews due to the sheer number of members on the site, meaning that they simply cannot be wrong? After all, what would they have to gain by it?

There are decent Chinese coming to Thailand as well, perhaps if you moved in slightly more sophisticated circles you would have seen them, perhaps you simply cannot afford to go anywhere near the places where high class Chinese tourists go?

There is getting away from generalizing on a whole nation based on the actions of a few low class package tourists, there really is, it is called getting away from being a bigot. To suggest banning a race based on these peoples actions says it all about you. You really would have gotten along great with the Nazi's, their signs said, "No Jews", and you would not have blamed them, right? Shameful stuff man.

About 9 years ago I stayed at the Windsor Suites Hotel in Bangkok and witness the exact behavior from Chinese tourist.

In 2011 I was in Sydney at the Darling Harbour seafood market.......I have seen animals in Africa eat with more dignity!!!

This is an international forum. People visit Thailand from all around the world. People have different eating habits all over the world. Some people like to eat with their hands, others prefer to eat on the floor. Some people eat with their mouths open, others with mouths shut.

Although I wouldn't want to eat at that buffet because I hate pushing and shoving, but by the looks of it it's a Chinese group of like minded diners and the only ones getting upset are the snobs on this forum who believe the whole world should conform to their way of life.

lemonjelly post # 48.

Give it a couple of years, many hotels will have the "no Chinese" signs up.

Now one can start to understand the reason for these signs all those years ago.Seems as if nothing changes with regards to the behavior of the Chinese.

hqdefault.jpg

In Western Australia, the recreational abalone season has been shortened to something like two half days a year, due to the rapacious nature of the Chinese, taking everything they can get their hands on.... Obviously they have ruined it for everybody, with their disrespect and disregard for others and the environment.

And... These are people resident in Australia, so educating the Chinese shown in this post, in manners and patience, Will be a hard task.

Oh yeah.... Shawn0001.... What is this reply feature you speak of... Do you mean in personal messages? I'm still learning about the site and shortcuts, so any information is good (your post 110)

Cheers

What does the chief of TAT say about this sort of crap from the Chinese ? Twelve months ago she told Thailand to be patient with them, they will improve with guidance. I know where I would like to guide by size 10 boot.

What does the chief of TAT say about this sort of crap from the Chinese ?

What does TAT have to say about cheap Charlies breeding racial hatred against their prime source of income?

Would you like a link to an antisemitic site? Perhaps you would then feel that it "seems right" to generalize on Jews due to the sheer number of members on the site, meaning that they simply cannot be wrong? After all, what would they have to gain by it?

There are decent Chinese coming to Thailand as well, perhaps if you moved in slightly more sophisticated circles you would have seen them, perhaps you simply cannot afford to go anywhere near the places where high class Chinese tourists go?

There is getting away from generalizing on a whole nation based on the actions of a few low class package tourists, there really is, it is called getting away from being a bigot. To suggest banning a race based on these peoples actions says it all about you. You really would have gotten along great with the Nazi's, their signs said, "No Jews", and you would not have blamed them, right? Shameful stuff man.

I suppose it you had a hotel or ran a buffet in Pattaya, you would be happy to have these Chinese groups as customers? As I said, the topic is not about Chinese people

in general, it is about the groups or busloads of them and their behaviour in Pattaya, it is disgusting and that's it. End of debate.

Archived