List of concerns with regard to a sudden move to Cambodia?

Forget them ! Cops already are nothing to care about in Thailand, so why caring in Cambo ?

Also, I agree with your "strategy" to marry in Japan to get a visa, so why not also doing it in Thailand if you feel safer ?

If will be a lot cheaper to find a wife in Thailand than Japan I guess ?

I lived in Siem Reap for a year . 9/14 -9/15.I entered on an ordinary visa. I extended every few months at a local travel agency. Near the end of my one year stay I received a visit at the hotel I had been staying at the entire time , by half a dozen police and immigration officers .One guy had more medals on his chest than General Patton..And there were not friendly at all in fact they were hostile and trying to be intimidating..

They wanted to know what business I had started and why I had not applied for a work permit. I said I have no business, they informed me that if you stay on an ordinary visa you must have work permit , a business and pay tax.( I assume this will be the same as having a job teaching).And then demanded to know what I was doing there

I told them ,'' Well for one thing like so many other foreign retirees ,, distributing my retirement pension into your economy to help insure that the Cambodians here in the tourist mecca of Siem Reap can have enough money to live.As well as volunteering my time ,my money with the homeless and the local orphanages'' (which was no lie).

'' Now on a different subject .. I applied for extension which I was given and now you're here interrogating me. If you have a problem with people obtaining extensions than maybe you should pay a visit to your travel agents that hand out these extensions out like candy. You come here in a less than courteous manner after it was suggested by YOUR immigration officer at the airport that I apply for the ordinary visa. I've followed the rules that YOU set in place. My documents are in order as is my visa .I am not here illegally and have not had any problem with the law the entire time and yet you're here treating like a suspect .''( All was said in a very calm and polite way). The senior officer apologized and they went on their way. I left a few weeks later.

So if you enter on the ''ordinary'' visa you'll have to either open a business or obtain employment. Because as far as they're concerned an ''ordinary visa'' is in fact another classification for a business visa.

As far as safety...never had a problem. But the tuk drivers are beyond obnoxious.and aggravating. Here in Chiang Mai ..''tuk,tuk''? you say no thanks.. end of story .. There??! ''You want ,drugs,massage, hookah, young girl ,heroin'', on and on and on..And they follow you and just are complete utter a@##$#@!s.

All in all I found the people in Siem Reap were ALOT more freindly than here in CM. Whether or not it's sincere ,,who knows but if they were'nt than at least they're smart enough to realize that tourism is important to their economy so by and large they were all very easy going, cheerful and accommodating. I found SR the LOS ..not here in CM.

So if you move to Cambodia and get an ordinary visa and then later have trouble getting a work visa right away due to not finding work/companies not wanting to apply for a work visa for you/etc. then the military men will just start hassling you?

Were you actively looking for work or just living there on an extensive vacation? If you were able to prove that you were actively looking for work...would they be a little more reasonable?

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any update ? Wanna know if they killed you already :-)

Kidding, I hope that you are fine and enjoy SEA hot weather instead of Japanese cold and plutonium diseases.

Nope, I'm still alive and well in Japan haha. I still don't know when I will move to Cambodia, but it will be in my future.

Forget them ! Cops already are nothing to care about in Thailand, so why caring in Cambo ?

Also, I agree with your "strategy" to marry in Japan to get a visa, so why not also doing it in Thailand if you feel safer ?

If will be a lot cheaper to find a wife in Thailand than Japan I guess ?

I lived in Siem Reap for a year . 9/14 -9/15.I entered on an ordinary visa. I extended every few months at a local travel agency. Near the end of my one year stay I received a visit at the hotel I had been staying at the entire time , by half a dozen police and immigration officers .One guy had more medals on his chest than General Patton..And there were not friendly at all in fact they were hostile and trying to be intimidating..

They wanted to know what business I had started and why I had not applied for a work permit. I said I have no business, they informed me that if you stay on an ordinary visa you must have work permit , a business and pay tax.( I assume this will be the same as having a job teaching).And then demanded to know what I was doing there

I told them ,'' Well for one thing like so many other foreign retirees ,, distributing my retirement pension into your economy to help insure that the Cambodians here in the tourist mecca of Siem Reap can have enough money to live.As well as volunteering my time ,my money with the homeless and the local orphanages'' (which was no lie).

'' Now on a different subject .. I applied for extension which I was given and now you're here interrogating me. If you have a problem with people obtaining extensions than maybe you should pay a visit to your travel agents that hand out these extensions out like candy. You come here in a less than courteous manner after it was suggested by YOUR immigration officer at the airport that I apply for the ordinary visa. I've followed the rules that YOU set in place. My documents are in order as is my visa .I am not here illegally and have not had any problem with the law the entire time and yet you're here treating like a suspect .''( All was said in a very calm and polite way). The senior officer apologized and they went on their way. I left a few weeks later.

So if you enter on the ''ordinary'' visa you'll have to either open a business or obtain employment. Because as far as they're concerned an ''ordinary visa'' is in fact another classification for a business visa.

As far as safety...never had a problem. But the tuk drivers are beyond obnoxious.and aggravating. Here in Chiang Mai ..''tuk,tuk''? you say no thanks.. end of story .. There??! ''You want ,drugs,massage, hookah, young girl ,heroin'', on and on and on..And they follow you and just are complete utter a@##$#@!s.

All in all I found the people in Siem Reap were ALOT more freindly than here in CM. Whether or not it's sincere ,,who knows but if they were'nt than at least they're smart enough to realize that tourism is important to their economy so by and large they were all very easy going, cheerful and accommodating. I found SR the LOS ..not here in CM.

So if you move to Cambodia and get an ordinary visa and then later have trouble getting a work visa right away due to not finding work/companies not wanting to apply for a work visa for you/etc. then the military men will just start hassling you?

Were you actively looking for work or just living there on an extensive vacation? If you were able to prove that you were actively looking for work...would they be a little more reasonable?

I'm not trying to sound ignorant, but is it really difficult to meet single, attractive women that are not sex workers, bar hostesses, etc? If so, where do they hangout? I would end up trying to meet the quiet girl next door that hardly ever leaves her house and end up being scrutinized by her family as a playboy foreigner that can't be trusted lol.

It is not hard as of course they are everywhere. But whether or not they will be interested in talking to you let alone dating you depends a lot on how you come across and what you are doing in Cambodia.

If you are working here, it will be easier as you'll naturally get to know coworkers.

You will be closely scrutinized by the family of any "nice" girl....and both they and she will want to be assurred of your intentions.

Wrong, he just needs a German car...

It is not hard as of course they are everywhere. But whether or not they will be interested in talking to you let alone dating you depends a lot on how you come across and what you are doing in Cambodia.

If you are working here, it will be easier as you'll naturally get to know coworkers.

You will be closely scrutinized by the family of any "nice" girl....and both they and she will want to be assurred of your intentions.

Archived