Issan Women or Bangkok Women... Which make the better partners?

BookMan

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's rather repulsive to me when they throw in an English phrase in every sentence. Seems like they're trying real hard to sound international, and among who? THeir friends. Imagine how they'd act around other people.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's rather repulsive to me when they throw in an English phrase in every sentence. Seems like they're trying real hard to sound international, and among who? THeir friends. Imagine how they'd act around other people.

That is not quite correct. Most non English languages use a smattering of English. Some Thai's even think some of the English words they use are Thai. It's not usually about wanting to look pretentious in my experience.

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, Tai777 said:

yes for very specific things like "internet" and "CD" or blueray, and such. WHat about when they say "thank you" instead of Khob Khun?

Thank you and Hello are common parlance in most countries. Are Thai's being pretentious when they say Hello when answering the phone? I don't think so. Of course there will be some pretentious Thais, especially the ambitious ones, but generally some English words are now commonly used in just about every country since English is the dominant world language. It will only become more frequent as time progresses.

On 5/2/2016 at 1:38 PM, Linzz said:

That is not quite correct. Most non English languages use a smattering of English. Some Thai's even think some of the English words they use are Thai. It's not usually about wanting to look pretentious in my experience.

Nicely put and there's other reasons for English wording being used or loanwords because sometimes there isn't a word in Thai for something,  in particular many scientific and technological termed words.

Loanwords l like almost sound English :-  wai-o-lin,   khao-têr,     táek sî ,  khom-phiw-têr,  thi-wi,   yi-râp,    near ones:-  bát = bus  &  sék = sex.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2016 at 0:24 AM, Kwasaki said:

Nicely put and there's other reasons for English wording being used or loanwords because sometimes there isn't a word in Thai for something,  in particular many scientific and technological termed words.

Loanwords l like almost sound English :-  wai-o-lin,   khao-têr,     táek sî ,  khom-phiw-têr,  thi-wi,   yi-râp,    near ones:-  bát = bus  &  sék = sex.

Yes I just mentioned this.

The Thai language has a word for "thank you," and we all know what it is. I don't find it pretentious when they use english loanwords for things such as giraffe, as that's to be expected. Actually English probably got that word from some other language too.

As for the language becoming increasingly English, I disagree. There are only so many things people talk about to each other, and this is usually more prevalent among educated, pretentious city dwellers. Do you think someone in the countryside of Isaan is going to be saying this crap?

3 hours ago, Tai777 said:

Yes I just mentioned this.

The Thai language has a word for "thank you," and we all know what it is. I don't find it pretentious when they use english loanwords for things such as giraffe, as that's to be expected. Actually English probably got that word from some other language too.

As for the language becoming increasingly English, I disagree. There are only so many things people talk about to each other, and this is usually more prevalent among educated, pretentious city dwellers. Do you think someone in the countryside of Isaan is going to be saying this crap?

Apologies l hadn't read through the thread was just interested in responding to 'Linzz' post.

I found Thai language interesting but unknowingly at the time learning only a little from a tape & book set l found out later it was the Bkk spoken language.

Travelling around Thailand in places like Isaan, mid north, & north l was struggling and resorted to miming again.  :D  

Yeah the spoken language along with different Thai words as you say countryside Isaan is a good example and there's a lot slang spoken too, sorter makes makes Bkk a different place on the planet.

As you probably know English words originated from many sources Latin, Greek, Arabic etc etc at the start occupation of the Germanic tribes and developed mainly l guess under the Anglo-Saxons .  

Yes, Isaan language isn't in fact Thai. Unsurprising that you would struggle with it. It's a Laos dialect which 80% of the population speak. Isaan kids were taught Thai in their schools by compulsion when the Thai government took over Isaan territory and burned and banned the Isaan language.

Although Lao languages were banned from education in 1871, a new public education and new schools were built throughout Isan, and only Thai was to be used by government and media. References to Lao people were erased and propagation of Thai nationalism was instilled in the populace. The language was renamed "Northeastern Thai".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isan_language

Language is an evolution of communication for so many reasons. No doubt some "Hi-so" types want to impress others with  their internationality using inappropriate English, but as I mentioned before most use words that are adopted and adapted without realisation of their origins.

A lot of people in Isaan still call their language Lao, funny enough, though there are some Thai hardliners who get mad at you when you do and correct you, saying it's called "Isaan," not Lao, because we're in Thailand, the land of the Father. (he who must not be named)

I've no experience with Bangkok Thais, don't like Bangkok anyway. Issan girls seem to be more hard-headed than Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai.

I've been with a Chiang Rai girl for 7 years now,and have no desire to try anything else.

Isaan girls have to be hard-headed, as they have a tough life full of hard work and sacrifices, or at least they did in the past. A lot of the new age Isaan girls are just Thai girls, but these days they tend to be less hard-headed and more feminine, due to less manual labor and more education.

Archived