BANGKOK

hi has anybody read on thai visa expert about becoming a permanent resident after 3 years of continuous stay in thailand is this true

The minimum requirements to apply for Permanent residency is to have at least 3 years consecutive extensions issued from Thai Immigration, Holders of multiple NON-Immigrant visas can not apply. You must have 3 un-broken yearly extensions in order to qualify.

Advantages and Benefits:

It allows the holder to live permanently in Thailand, with no requirement to apply for an extension of temporary stay. In addition to the permanent residence book, an alien registration book will be issued, which is the equivalent of the ID card held by Thais.

A permanent resident can have his/her name included on a house registration document (for example, if you buy a house on wife’s name. You can have your name on house registration in order not to lose your property no matter what the circumstance may be in the future)

Obtaining a work permit is easier for a permanent resident than for a non-resident, but you still need to have a work permit if working.

A permanent resident also has a number of other privileges such as, for example, being able to:

• Buy a condominium without being required to transfer money from abroad
  • Apply for naturalization in accordance with the law concerned
  • Have Thai nationality granted to children who are born in Thailand
  • Become a director of a public company; and
  • Apply for an extension of stay or permanent residence for non-Thai family members

The Residency Permit itself never expires, unless revoked. To be able to leave the country and return at will, though, you need to apply each year for a re-entry permit (endorsement) at 1,000 baht (multiple entries). If you don’t leave Thailand, you don’t need to have an endorsement done. Also, you must present yourself at the police station covering the area where you are resident once every five years for a stamp in your book. An alien with permanent residency status will be eligible to apply for Thai citizenship after 10 consecutive years.

Edited by mardy1960

There some stuff that's just nonsense in the info you've provided:

1. You can have your name on a house registration WITHOUT a permanent residence. I have my name in the yellow tabien ban and I'm on a regular non-O visa

2. I seriously doubt the process to obtain a WP is easier for permanent residents, as far as I know, the process is the same wether you're on a non-O visa or permanent residence (if someone has other info on this please share)

3. You DO NOT need a permanent residence to apply for naturalisation, having a permanent residence is not a requirement

4. You DO NOT need a permanent residence to be a company director

It's basically a permanent visa, and the only possible advantage I see is not having to renew your extension of stay every year. Other then that, really not worth the 200.000 baht they're asking for one...

You also need a few years of paying income tax plus a load of other stuff.

Takes years to get it.

Yes it is true but only one of the requirements. Getting a residency permit is impossible for many long term expats.

As the OP is on an extension of stay based on retirement and therefore not paying in country taxes, he would not be eligible anyway.

1. You can have your name on a house registration WITHOUT a permanent residence. I have my name in the yellow tabien ban and I'm on a regular non-O visa

2. I seriously doubt the process to obtain a WP is easier for permanent residents, as far as I know, the process is the same wether you're on a non-O visa or permanent residence (if someone has other info on this please share)

3. You DO NOT need a permanent residence to apply for naturalisation, having a permanent residence is not a requirement

It's basically a permanent visa, and the only possible advantage I see is not having to renew your extension of stay every year. Other then that, really not worth the 200.000 baht they're asking for one...

Regarding your list above;

2- it is much easier to get a WP as a permanent resident.

4- the original list talks of being director of a PUBLIC company, so not your run of the mill co.ltd.

And yes, apart from the 3 consecutive extensions of stay, you need to meet quite a few other requirements including minimum salary earned in Thailand.

How so? Care to elaborate? According to my accountant, the requirements for a work permit are exactly the same, wether you have a PR or a regular non-O visa.

Regarding your list above;

4- the original list talks of being director of a PUBLIC company, so not your run of the mill co.ltd.

And yes, apart from the 3 consecutive extensions of stay, you need to meet quite a few other requirements including minimum salary earned in Thailand.

Actually would need a min salary to get the extension.

How so? Care to elaborate? According to my accountant, the requirements for a work permit are exactly the same, wether you have a PR or a regular non-O visa.

The written requirements maybe the same, but the fact your PR already, makes it just about a formality that the WP will be issued by the DOL thats why its easier

The written requirements maybe the same, but the fact your PR already, makes it just about a formality that the WP will be issued by the DOL thats why its easier

That's not my experience.

I got PR a long long time ago.

I've had WP's approved and renewed many many times. My admin. manager confirmed it's the same process and considerations by the labor ministry PR or no PR.

• Like 1

thank you all for your input will stick to my retirement visa and go every three months

On a retirement you wouldnt qualify anyway

Having PR does not guarantee that you will be issued with a WP. You still need to meet the requirements and renew every 1/2 years.

The advantage of PR is that you have permission to stay that allows work and doesn't need to be renewed every year.