Permanent residency

On 3/22/2016 at 11:14 AM, Eclipse said:

You also need a few years of paying income tax plus a load of other stuff.

Takes years to get it.

ok here is a germane question as regards the income tax; my bangkok bank accounts automatically with-hold 15% interest ; it goes {somewhere}; each year my wife and i have to go to the tax office to request a refund of that money; it has worked ok for years; does that qualify as 'paying income tax' ?

30 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

OK, fair enough. I was basing it on a translation of the Immigration Act of 2522, carried on the bangkok.immigration.go.th website. So was there a more recent version of the Immigration Act issued in 2009 (or an amendment to it) or are they just not applying the provisions of the 2522 Act, where it says that one of the categories for PR is:

The info in chapter 5 of the  immigration act only provides general requirements and etc. There have been no revisions to it since it was issued.

The "2.3.1 Spouse: To provide patronage or to be under patronage of a Thai national spouse" you mentioned does not match the way the immigration acts chapters and section are numbered. That appears to be from an old ministerial order that is no longer in effect.

30 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

If there's some kind of official document or reference to the change in policy that someone could supply, I'd really appreciate it as I'm having a great deal of difficulty persuading my wife that PR isn't possible for me, especially after they told her in the Immigration Office that it is. 

Now it is the lack of information. Before there was a list of required documents for applying based upon marriage that only mentioned work permits and tax payments on the immigration website.

It appears they took away the possibility after the change to the nationality act in 2008 that made it easier to apply for Thai nationality if married to a Thai but it still requires you to be working.

The permanent residency requirements are set by the interior ministry and they are the ones that changed it.

I asked at my local immigration office a few years ago and the officer simply said no because I was not working.

11 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

ok here is a germane question as regards the income tax; my bangkok bank accounts automatically with-hold 15% interest ; it goes {somewhere}; each year my wife and i have to go to the tax office to request a refund of that money; it has worked ok for years; does that qualify as 'paying income tax' ?

No

The income tax payments mentioned is to prove a minimum income from working with a work permit.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The "2.3.1 Spouse: To provide patronage or to be under patronage of a Thai national spouse" you mentioned does not match the way the immigration acts chapters and section are numbered. That appears to be from an old ministerial order that is no longer in effect.

Sorry, you're right - that's not from the Immigration Act directly.  It's from a document entitled "Notification of Immigration Commission Criterion and conditions of foreign nationals’ residential permit consideration" that can be found on the Bangkok Immigration Division's website on the following link:

Regulations for Permanent Residency Applications

3 hours ago, perthperson said:

No problem.  Have your wife complete all the paperwork and submit it on your behalf -- Who knows she might be right ! 

Yeah, I might just let her do that. She's the one that seems all fired up about it. For my part, I'm not sure it's worth the time, effort and expense - even if it were possible which seems unlikely.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer

27 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Sorry, you're right - that's not from the Immigration Act directly.  It's from a document entitled "Notification of Immigration Commission Criterion and conditions of foreign nationals’ residential permit consideration" that can be found on the Bangkok Immigration Division's website on the following link:

Regulations for Permanent Residency Applications

Did you notice the date it was issued (December 2003). As I wrote it is no longer being used. Not sure why it is even posted on the website.

They even changed the translation of this section some time back in 2008.

(2) One party or both parties must earn much enough to provide patronage or having annual income of at least Baht 30,000 per month in average, for at least 2 consecutive years before the date of application submission and evidence of tax return is required and

At one the time it showed 300k baht in the bank and then they changed it 400k baht and now money in the bank is no longer shown. Also note is states it must be proven by a tax return.

• 2 years later...

I would like to get my PR. I work as a contractor internationally for my income currently. I have a "Thai Wife" Visa and I understand I also need a work permit both for 3 years before I can apply. Questions: Does the financial requirement for PR need to come from my work in Thailand? And why the hell is their a work permit requirement for PR anyway?