Frenchman killed in early morning Patong brawl

webfact

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well you dont even notice the extra 5 million visitors in one year, because there are no news stories about people coming to Thailand, enjoying themselves and nothing bad happening

My country would kill for an extra 5 million tourist a year, well the bureaucracy wouldnt even be able to handle it

As usual the Thai bashing Brigade have it all figured out with the absolute minimal of details and zero first hand knowledge...

Yes it was a scandalous waste of a human life and a tragedy for his family and friends, but is Thailand the only place on this earth where this can happen?

Rather than making even more unsubstantiated claims and spouting ridiculous and myopic opinions, I shall simply say commiserations and condolences to his family and friends, and a speedy recovery for the other person injured...

Has anyone written that it only happens in Thailand? People are commenting on Thailand because that is what this news and this forum is about. Or didn't you realise that? If you've lived in the country for more than a week you'll know that many Thais have a very short fuse and cannot be challenged. It's the lose face thing that is so much an integral part of the culture.

A lawless, so called Buddhist country!

Why you make a post like this?Behave yourself!!!

It is nice country and nobody should accuse all people and country for single accident!!!

I am ashamed how some foreigners behave here!!!

If you look at the numbers and what happened in the past five years or so in Thailand, the amount of foreigners killed by Thais for minor reasons, including refusing to pay the taxi fee (chopped to death by Thai taxi driver with machete), refusing to get off stage (foreigner killed on his birthday in front of his son by band members), looking too sexy or having sex on the beach (head smashed in, raped and partner stabbed and drowned, preparing Burmese patsies to take the fall), etc. and the many murder cases that were hushed down and branded suicides (especially on that garbage dump called Koh Tao), the countless murders in Pattaya, etc. - I am ashamed of how the Thais behave here, dear Vukovar!

To clockman should be said that Thailand is as far away from being a true Buddhist country as a buffalo would be from playing the piano. Look at the amount of mosques we have here and the steady increase of Muslim influence, especially in the southern half... This is not a Buddhist country anymore, and the unbelievable amount of rotten apples acting as "monks" in the Buddhist monasteries all over the country will make sure that in a few decades from now, the respect of Thais towards Buddhism will have reached an all time low, similar to the low Christianity faces in Europe right now.

It's all over, folks! Time to remove the pink sunglasses and face reality!

Thailand is as far away from being a true Buddhist country.....Guns and knives is everywhere ....

This is another example of why Thailand continues to have a poor reputation around the World. Another dead tourist at the hands of a Thai . Undoubtedly alcohol played some part in this tragedy. Thailand really needs to get its act together and control the entertainment districts. It doesn't matter who was at fault- someone is dead and that can never be the way to resolve a situation. Yes, it happens in other countries but not in the ways that it continues to happen in Thailand. Phuket is an overpriced, unfriendly city and people will continue to vote with their feet to avoid this unpleasantness, Pattaya is the same- overbuilt; high crime and making money off sleaze. In addition. the tourists that do come are people who are drawn to the alcohol, drugs and prostitution. This makes for a bad mix between locals and foreigners. It's a real shame. At one time, both places were pristine. Now both places are headed for the junk heap.

As usual the Thai bashing Brigade have it all figured out with the absolute minimal of details and zero first hand knowledge...

Yes it was a scandalous waste of a human life and a tragedy for his family and friends, but is Thailand the only place on this earth where this can happen?

Rather than making even more unsubstantiated claims and spouting ridiculous and myopic opinions, I shall simply say commiserations and condolences to his family and friends, and a speedy recovery for the other person injured...

Has anyone written that it only happens in Thailand? People are commenting on Thailand because that is what this news and this forum is about. Or didn't you realise that? If you've lived in the country for more than a week you'll know that many Thais have a very short fuse and cannot be challenged. It's the lose face thing that is so much an integral part of the culture.

I have actually lived in Thailand for a number of years BB and not "a week" as you ask.

I have also lived in several other countries around the world and have seen similar tragic occurrences elsewhere, maybe if you had experienced life in other places and in other cultures you would appreciate the point I have made.

Your comments about Thai's and "short fuse, cannot be challenged, and an integral part of the culture" are exactly what I was talking about. Time after time on this forum whenever there is a similar tragic event (and yes I know there are many) people like you make the same generalizing comments about the Thai mentality (and before you make any comment about me doing the same with you, your comments begged for a reply)

The Thai people are no more confrontational than any other nationality, Asian or Western, they are not unique in over reacting to situations. What is unique on this forum are the racist attitudes that manufacture these unjustified comments, the vast majority of Thai's are gentle and friendly and welcome foreigners gladly, the fact that there are some nut case's makes them no different from any other nationality or race.

If you BB have lived here so long then you should have been able to see that for yourself, maybe you should stay out of the bars and mingle with the locals a bit more, it might be a revelation for you...

As a French citizen I know exactly how misbehaved, brainless, provocative, aggressive, obnoxious and even violent these young guys coming from the popular suburbs, many of them of migrant origins, can be.

They seem to be a significant part of my fellow citizens visiting Thailand now. I've seen them in action in Pattaya on occasions and I'm ashamed.

Seems like 2 arabs to me....anyway its also a cultural thing....the french way of talking is completely the opposite of the way things go in asia.

They are very direct, to the point of being rude...they fail to see that being right doesnt always mean they will get their way.

And here are we in generalizations probably leading to a round of French-bashing like in the thread about this guy who has vanished.

No, not all French people are like this and I've seen just as many Brits, Kiwis, Germans or others in Thailand with loud mouths and offensive behavior.

It's all a matter of education, really.

Yes, I am sometimes ashamed of my compatriots in Thailand. I think we all have been of the citizens of our own countries sometimes.

I have worked in a Thai IT/Telecoms company for 3 years, as the only foreigner. At first they had rejected my application despite my profile matching the position nicely because most of the potential coworkers absolutely didn't want "another farang". Guess why? they had 3 American engineers sent from a US company for a while before and these folks had been absolutely obnoxious to them. I managed to convince them that not all farangs were the same and got the position.

A couple of years later, a new position was opened for an international before-sale engineer whom they decided had to be a westerner. The CEO had me in his office and told me "help us find another Frenchman for this job, you people seem to fit well".

I'm no better than anyone else but generalizations are plain wrong.

We don't have time to interview every french person in the world and tabulate a precise behaviour profile….just need to go by personal experience and in mine what I have observed has been reported.

This doesn't mean that its only french who sometimes don't grasp the nuances of operating in asia…there are also many farangs who are very mindful of their conduct and they seem to have less problems.

I've been walking this road every day and night the last few weeks, sober and drunk, and I never had any bad experiences, except that the traffic is totally crazy. The amount of traffic and people there has reached a point where accidents are bound to happen.

• 2 months later...

the land of the lawless means if you are not prepared to be killed or kill - keep your mouth shut and enjoy the ride... the american did not!

Someone catch me up.

Is there an American in the story, and if so, when did he show up?

I thought we were just bashing French guys with foreign names and Thais in this thread.

the land of the lawless means if you are not prepared to be killed or kill - keep your mouth shut and enjoy the ride... the american did not!

I'm never prepared to be killed, but always prepared to kill, but only in self defense, here.

The Thai girls want to rob you, one way or another, but the Thai guys want to kill you.

Archived