Songkran & Drought

Lammbock

Just my 2 cents...

So they shorten the celebration in Bangkok by 1 day to total of 3 day's water splashing. I got this.

But what I do not understand is why they let the people in Pattaya still celebrate for a whole week?

Can somebody explain me the logic behind this?

Cheers

As others have said, it's all about the money.

I suspect these Songkran events are hugely lucrative.

I guess the big ones held in Chiang Mai and Pattaya bring in massive revenue for the whole city.

The fact that Thailand is in the midst of devastating drought crisis will be a mere after thought.

Let's face it, Thais live for today. Mai pen rai about what might happen in the future.

I remember some years back we were short on water as well. We still had ten days of Songkran. When it was over my condo in south Pattaya had no water for days. We had to truck water in and pay for it. People were using buckets to get water from the pool to take to their rooms to flush toilets. I figure this year will be a repeat.

They did not shorten Songkran...has always been 3 days....they are trying to create an illusion. It would be much more responsible to celebrate Songkran for one day only nationwide. I think the PM wants to create "Happiness for his people" and the TAT wants no problem with the many tourists coming here for holidays. Two or three months later I predict that the government will look back and regret this decision. Most Thais don't understand the severity of this problem.

Logic? Logic? Logic in Thailand? <deleted>

Know this! The people will celebrate regardless of the law or restrictions.

There will still be M/cycle riders getting killed,they will still use the power hoses,they will still spray people wearing suits and dresses to work.They will still drink themselves stupid(both Thai and Ferang) because the law and conditions mean nothing to them.It doesn't apply to them.They will waste millions of gallons of water having fun and wont even think about the next day.

When its all over,3,4.5,6days later and everybody has sobered up,they will moan and complain,wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth,that the water has been turned off because.....WE ARE HAVING A BLOODY DROUGHT!!!!

As others have said, it's all about the money.

I suspect these Songkran events are hugely lucrative.

I guess the big ones held in Chiang Mai and Pattaya bring in massive revenue for the whole city.

The fact that Thailand is in the midst of devastating drought crisis will be a mere after thought.

Let's face it, Thais live for today. Mai pen rai about what might happen in the future.

How true is that last statement, that is why Thais never have money

I have a slightly different take and its just an opinion.

About the farang, yes of course the young ones jump on board as it is an alien celebration and they can share cool stories and pictures about it back home.

Yet in places like Hua Hin or Samui where the celebration lasts only one day, although it is an incredibly crazy day, I think they want -- quite sensibly -- to get the tourists back into shops, markets, malls, restaurants and bars spending money during the long holiday (rather than standing on street corners getting drenched and dishing out the same.

As for the locals, the sad fact is the vast majority of Thais are "have nots" and as such relish the opportunity, any opportunity, to get hammered, celebrate and have fun. Who can begrudge them? Songkran is a big deal to these folks and a rare gift. It probably helps ease some of the political tension as well. Do they go too far with the water trucks and the dangerous dousing of motorbikes in motion? Of course. But people do stupid things all the time...no matter where you live. Can't condone that kind of ignorance.

If you don't agree, I respect that and in fact admit I could be wrong about it all. I have only lived through a dozen Songkrans in my many years in Thailand. And all i really know about this place is what I DON'T know.

Stay dry my brothers and sisters.

They did not shorten Songkran...has always been 3 days....they are trying to create an illusion. It would be much more responsible to celebrate Songkran for one day only nationwide. I think the PM wants to create "Happiness for his people" and the TAT wants no problem with the many tourists coming here for holidays. Two or three months later I predict that the government will look back and regret this decision. Most Thais don't understand the severity of this problem.

"the government will look back and regret this decision",..Nah,...they never regret wrong decisions, they always blame someone ells.....!!! always....

Best regards.

About the farang, yes of course the young ones jump on board as it is an alien celebration and they can share cool stories and pictures about it back home.

Yet in places like Hua Hin or Samui where the celebration lasts only one day, although it is an incredibly crazy day, I think they want -- quite sensibly -- to get the tourists back into shops, markets, malls, restaurants and bars spending money during the long holiday (rather than standing on street corners getting drenched and dishing out the same.

As for the locals, the sad fact is the vast majority of Thais are "have nots" and as such relish the opportunity, any opportunity, to get hammered, celebrate and have fun. Who can begrudge them? Songkran is a big deal to these folks and a rare gift. It probably helps ease some of the political tension as well. Do they go too far with the water trucks and the dangerous dousing of motorbikes in motion? Of course. But people do stupid things all the time...no matter where you live. Can't condone that kind of ignorance.

If you don't agree, I respect that and in fact admit I could be wrong about it all. I have only lived through a dozen Songkrans in my many years in Thailand. And all i really know about this place is what I DON'T know.

And avoid the roads !!!! don't drive just before, until after songkran.....!!! don't be one of the casualty's or statistics !!!

Best regards,

Songkran: Temple visits, giving food to the Bhuddhist monks, pouring water on the Bhudda statues, young people pouring water over the hands of their elders to show respect, family get-togethers - Where has all that gone? Temple visits are few during Songkran as most Thais are too busy loading their pickup trucks at dawn with iced water (no time to visit temples). Food given to the Bhuddhist monks, no doubt in short supply during the same period (water fights are far more important). Most young people are on the back of pickups, so that's the pouring of water over the elders' hands to show respect out the window. Family get-togethers in the back of pickup trucks; OK, I'll allow that one, but not the pouring of water over elders' hands in the back of a pickup; (1 out of 5 not bad).

Then we get to the foreigners, probably mostly tourists, who come to Thailand to party and play with the water. Well, to those people, I say, "Hope you have a great time and enjoy your holiday." Unfortunately, some of these foreigners seem to up the game and cause more mayhem than the Thais. At least the Thais don't throw buckets of water from the balconies/roofs of condos, and I've yet to see a Thai aim a water jet straight into a person's face. Most Thais will even ask if they can put powder on your face; you got to respect them for that.

Then we add the alcohol to all that, and we get the normal deaths and injuries that can be expected during the Songkran period. The water throwers empty buckets of water over the motorcyclists and fire jets of water at them when they ride past, causing many to part company with their bike, although I don't think that just alcohol is the cause of that, more just basic lack of common sense, which needs to addressed by the powers to be. Hundreds are killed and thousands injured on the Thai roads during Songkran, and yet the festivities go on without regard for any of these consequencies. Life is cheap in Thailand! I wonder if things would change if Thailand suddenly shoots to No 1 in road death statistics; No chance!

Yes, I have played a couple of times in the Songkran mayhem, but the novelty soon wore off as it has become more of a dangerous activity every year. I usually stay at home now during that period, but that is my choice. I have no problem with others taking part in the activites, if that is their desire. But I do wish people would have a bit more common sense when playing with peoples lives.

Happy Songkran

I think if, like me, you lived in Pattaya or surrounding area and had to suffer eight days of it, you might not be quite so laid back.

A one day Songkran would be a luxury and I don't think many would begrudge it. Even I might join in.

I think the Government has done well so far in this period of drought and dont think Songkran which only lasts one day where I live will make much difference to the supply. I do hope they are aware that in a hot climate you can only survive less than a week without water. If it does run dry there will be chaos in this country and I hope they are aware of that. So far so good.

Edited by bim

I remember years ago in Pattaya during Songkran there was a water shortage, I made the mistake of walking down soi6 it was early morning and I thought I was safe, well a few ladyboys thought it was funny to fill up their water guns with sewer water and spray all over me, I stunk after and had to buy a change of clothes.

Dont you mean 2 weeks last year we cancelled all the darts leagues for 2 weeks while the water spraying went on

last year we cancelled all the darts leagues for 2 weeks

I bet all the big, fat, unfit elbow benders didn't like that. Missing their "sport" for two weeks?? hee hee.

Dont you mean 2 weeks last year we cancelled all the darts leagues for 2 weeks while the water spraying went on

I bet all the big, fat, unfit elbow benders didn't like that. Missing their "sport" for two weeks?? hee hee.

When I used to play in the Bangkok league there were only 2 big, fat, unfit elbow benders in our team and I was one of them. The others were Thai girls who played a damn sight better than most men, and most of the girls were younger, fitter and far better looking than any of the men.

My wife was one of them and has far more trophies than me and I was pretty good.

When I used to play in the Bangkok league there were only 2 big, fat, unfit elbow benders in our team and I was one of them. The others were Thai girls who played a damn sight better than most men, and most of the girls were younger, fitter and far better looking than any of the men.

My wife was one of them and has far more trophies than me and I was pretty good.

If people want to play darts with young girls, then fine. I just cannot understand why the likes of darts and snooker, or pool

or whatever you call it, is referred to as a sport, I am not trying to have a go at unfit or overweight people here, but unlike sports,

darts is a game that anyone can play.

People take water out of the river and throw it. And it flows back to the river. People take water out of the canal and throw it. And it flows back to the canal. People take water out of the ocean and throw it. And it flows back to the ocean. People take water out of the lake and throw it. And it flows back to the lake.

And the problem is.......?

I can understand BKK where vast numbers of people are using tap water, but places that have natural sources of water, especially Pattaya and CM, what difference does it make. As other posters have said, it's a money maker for local businesses and a huge tourist draw. Other places around Thailand, such as in Issan, I could understand a shorter Songkran.

If you don't like it, be like me and stay in your village. A few groups of students and kids may fill a barrel with water along side of the road and splash cars, motorcycles and any one else who happens along, but Songkran in the villages of our Amphur is a pretty laid back affair, the highlight of which is visiting old villagers. Splashing water? Been there, done that. I leave it to folks younger than I, or those who have never participated.

Edited by connda