Dogs : Mast Cell Tumours

My dog has so far had three skin tumors removed to date. The first lab result said Mast cell tumor was present, was low grade and the prognosis was fair. That was a couple of years ago. The dog is 10 years old this year and has developed some small similar tumors on his legs. We have had two of the larger lumps removed last year, and we were told they were not tumorous.

He has a few other small growths on his legs and the vets advice is to get them cut out as soon as they become larger /start weeping / become a concern.

The dog is a large Thai Ridge Back and he definitely doesn't like going to the vets, and getting him sedated is a major trauma !

Question is are there any other treatments rather than surgery. I've read about chemo medication - but don't really want to go that route. I was thinking about creams or lotions to burn off / remove the smaller ones.

Any advice welcomed .................

There is no cream or lotion that can treat this. the preferred treatment is surgical excision if possible. Radiation is also used. especially for tumors that cannot be fully excised.

You indicate though that the last 2 lumps removed were "not tumorous" (I think you mean non-malignant, as any abnormal growth is tumorous) so the question is whether the current lesions are thought to be mast cell tumors or not - dogs are also very prone to lipomas, for example (benign tumors composed of fat cells). If you have not already I suggest you get opinion ta a university affiliated vetinary hospital.

Thanks for the reply, yes I should have said non-malignant.

We are used to various forms of lumps on the dogs and most are harmless and can be just ignored. The problem is that some turn into sores on the male dog. The suggestion is he is prone to mast cell tumors and the only way to get them tested is to take him to the vet and get them removed / biopsied.

Trips to the vets are just impossible, last time we semi-sedated him at home, by mouth with some liquid given by the vet. Problem is that it does not knock him out enough and he still hates (get aggressive) going to the vet !

Ah well ! here we go again (counts fingers first !)

thanks!

Yeah, so it goes.

I too live with a treatment-averse sick pet. The cat in my avatar has chronic renal failure, still early enough to make aggressive treatment worthwhile so I have to take her to the vet twice a week for infusion of subcutaneous fluid. It is a simple enough procedure to in theory do at home, and I would love to as it is an hour drive roundtrip, but all attempts by me to do it ended in literal bloodshed (mine, of course). So to the Vet it is. As her disease progresses she will start to need this more often, don't know what I will do -- I guess retry the home administration (currently still nursing the wounds from last attempt 5555).

Being a cat rather than a large dog, a little easier to get her to the Vet except for catching her, which can be hard. She's fast and ingenious in finding new hiding places.

The vet is able to give her the fluid without injury. He is not able, however, to draw her blood, even with 2 people trying to hold her down....

Archived