BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

High-speed Mercedes crash ignites uproar in Thailand

It won't change because the people with the power and influence have worked hard to create and maintain this two tier system.

I like to think that one day these people with the power and influence will discover that the foundations on which they have created this two tier system are made of sand.

I would like to be around to see the look on their faces when it all collapses around them.

I know many will say that will never happen, but I am an optimist. Change is being introduced by two factors - greater awareness about these inequalities and the ability to air views about them (social media) and the lingering taste of the now removed democratic experience,(selecting their preferred government, however flawed); which try as they may will not go away. The pressure for that change can only increase.

Thai police? Shame? Don't hold your breath.

Last year didn't a senior police officer freak out when he was stopped at a checkpoint and berate the officers concerned then issue instructions that all the BIB should familiarise themselves with the photos of their bosses and registration numbers of their vehicles ?

"We keep asking ourselves, when are the police going to be ashamed enough to do the right thing?"

Sadly, probably never.

Truth is, they did the right thing under the system of legislated inequality, Sakdina, that is the bedrock of Thai culture.

Last year didn't a senior police officer freak out when he was stopped at a checkpoint and berate the officers concerned then issue instructions that all the BIB should familiarise themselves with the photos of their bosses and registration numbers of their vehicles ?

There you go, Sakdina in action.

Yep.

Not gonna happen in a culture where "might makes right" is the only moral principle and where money is the only basis for respect.

Better to blame Mercedes Benz for it and sue them.....

Yes. I'm sure the "Brakes Failed."

Better to blame Mercedes Benz for it and sue them.....

Spoken like a true gun control activist.

I feel sick reading that, poor innocent people killed by young rich kids and no action takenv it's just a joke.

It won't change because the people with the power and influence have worked hard to create and maintain this two tier system.

I like to think that one day these people with the power and influence will discover that the foundations on which they have created this two tier system are made of sand.

I would like to be around to see the look on their faces when it all collapses around them.

I know many will say that will never happen, but I am an optimist. Change is being introduced by two factors - greater awareness about these inequalities and the ability to air views about them (social media) and the lingering taste of the now removed democratic experience,(selecting their preferred government, however flawed); which try as they may will not go away. The pressure for that change can only increase.

If it does change the Thai's wont see it because they will have their head in the sand,like always.

"The law is the law — whether you are rich or poor you have to pay for what you've done," national police spokesman Songpol Wattanachai said Monday, asking skeptics to have faith in the police. "Justice will be served. Just because he is rich doesn't mean he won't go to jail. I'm asking people not to think that way."

police spokesman Songpol Wattanachai I think he can get himself ready for a transfer.

I would like to see this video go viral world wide, to show tourist what they can expect in Thailand.

RiP to the two that lost their lives because of some HiSo clown that thinks he is above the law.

I would like to see this video go viral world wide, to show tourist what they can expect in Thailand.

The same article was in the Washington Post yesterday.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/high-speed-mercedes-crash-ignites-uproar-in-thailand/2016/03/23/1a3b2a2a-f10f-11e5-a2a3-d4e9697917d1_story.html

I get influence buying and all that. I hate it, but I get it. It happens everywhere. Maybe the Thai way will allow the man to buy his way out if the family members are willing to not press charges and take money. The people are dead so their society way of thinking to just take money and go away may be their way. But step 1 is does Thai law even allow for one to refuse drug and alcohol tests? Step 2, just buying out of trouble does little to dissuade others from doing similar crimes, acting deathly irresponsible, etc. This is obscene to my thinking.

Bout time a privately funded hit squad was arranged ......perhaps a gofundme site is needed

There was a movie years ago about 3 or 4 retired judges that reviewed cases of criminals that were obviously guilty but got off on technicalities. They then decided on a suitable punishment and hired someone to do it. I think Thailand needs something like this as the people responsible for enforcing the law and delivering justice are letting the Thai people down miserably. Can't remember the name of the movie.