High-speed Mercedes crash ignites uproar in Thailand

webfact

What exactly is the law about alcohol testing?

Can every drunk driver refuse a test? Seems rather a pointless law if this is the case.

Or maybe the right to refusal is based on WHO your daddy is?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sent the little woman, ‘she’s only 4’11” bless her cotton socks, can hardly see over the dash’, to wash the Lot Gabah not 3 days ago, there were three vehicles in the cue and she was next.

Mercedes pulls in, and yes, you guessed it, straight to the front of the cue!

Little woman returned fair foaming at the mouth, and with good right too, I might add.

Now she wants a Mercedes.

Happy days!

How is it that we're suddenly discussing pool and cues???

I think I am a fairly honourable human being. I don't condone murder, corruption, revenge and all the other evils of the world.But if somebody had done that to my daughter I might go to the temple, receive absolution and hire the Luk Nong to exact an appropriate outcome. The whole family is responsible for this spoilt idiot's behaviour. Might send them to pay a call on a few policeman too. No public comment I see from any of the Thai "nobility"

Can every drunk driver refuse a test? Seems rather a pointless law if this is the case.

Refusing means an automatic DUI (that is why they can charge him now with DUI even if there are no tests)

They are NOW charging him with DUI? No breathalyzer or blood tests at the time of the accident, the case will easily be thrown out for lack of evidence. Wonder who among the RTP will take the fall for such lack of evidence.

Under the old law any driver refusing to take a test would just be fined 1,000 baht.

AThe law was amended on 31st December 2014 to make it illegal to refuse a breathalyzer test in Thailand.

Now if a driver refuses to take a breathalyser test or complete a walk-and-turn test if asked to do so, police can assume the driver has violated Section 43 (2) of the Traffic Act which prohibits driving under the influence of alcohol and other drugs, resulting in arrest and charges.

Thus, the RTP in this case can charge the Mercedes driver without evidence of tests.

They are NOW charging him with DUI? No breathalyzer or blood tests at the time of the accident, the case will easily be thrown out for lack of evidence. Wonder who among the RTP will take the fall for such lack of evidence.

Under the old law any driver refusing to take a test would just be fined 1,000 baht.

AThe law was amended on 31st December 2014 to make it illegal to refuse a breathalyzer test in Thailand.

Now if a driver refuses to take a breathalyser test or complete a walk-and-turn test if asked to do so, police can assume the driver has violated Section 43 (2) of the Traffic Act which prohibits driving under the influence of alcohol and other drugs, resulting in arrest and charges.

Thus, the RTP in this case can charge the Mercedes driver without evidence of tests.

While all very well and good, There is a legal loophole, IMO. In the absence of evidence, the court could side with the RTP (poor people) and convict him, or with the clever-dick defence lawyer (rich person) and release him. I wonder if it has been tested in court?

Good thing too otherwise everyone would refuse a test.

The problem is that no one ever follows up on these cases. In any major city in the west; if there is a case like this, the major newspapers always give you updates. Here the Bangkok Post will write the story and you never find out what happens later. The police know this. And know that if they delay, it will be forgotten. So write your letters to the editors of the Bangkok Post and Nation, and ask them to update the story.

Start with the Red Bull Kid who killed the police with his sports car. I think about three years ago.

"The law is the law — whether you are rich or poor you have to pay for what you've done," national police spokesman Songpol Wattanachai said Monday, asking skeptics to have faith in the police. "Justice will be served. Just because he is rich doesn't mean he won't go to jail. I'm asking people not to think that way."

police spokesman Songpol Wattanachai I think he can get himself ready for a transfer.

I would like to see this video go viral world wide, to show tourist what they can expect in Thailand.

RiP to the two that lost their lives because of some HiSo clown that thinks he is above the law.

Exactly...two Thai masters students won't get justice. What chance would a lowly farang have?

It won't change because the people with the power and influence have worked hard to create and maintain this two tier system.

I like to think that one day these people with the power and influence will discover that the foundations on which they have created this two tier system are made of sand.

I would like to be around to see the look on their faces when it all collapses around them.

I know many will say that will never happen, but I am an optimist. Change is being introduced by two factors - greater awareness about these inequalities and the ability to air views about them (social media) and the lingering taste of the now removed democratic experience,(selecting their preferred government, however flawed); which try as they may will not go away. The pressure for that change can only increase.

Be careful what you wish for - I don't think an uprising of the poor and disenfranchised will stop at just eliminating the 'elite', the French, Russian and Cambodian revolutions are good reference points.

Also one elite is just replaced with an other elite.

Hmmm let me educate you in Thai law. Yes, if you are

driving a Mercedes of course you can refuse a DUI test.

If you are driving a Toyota the test is mandatory

when you have an accident while drunk. Clear now ??

"We keep asking ourselves, when are the police going to be ashamed enough to do the right thing?"

Sadly, probably never.

Truth is, they did the right thing under the system of legislated inequality, Sakdina, that is the bedrock of Thai culture.

Perspicacity extreme. Yes, this is really interesting. This is what creates revolutions. Too tight a control from the top creates pressure down below.

The top dogs should read the iChing. Its all just human nature. Eveything changes.

They're applying rigid 'old fashioned' legislations on an evolving, political and social beast.

Sent the little woman, ‘she’s only 4’11” bless her cotton socks, can hardly see over the dash’, to wash the Lot Gabah not 3 days ago, there were three vehicles in the cue and she was next.

Little woman returned fair foaming at the mouth, and with good right too, I might add.

Happy days!

So solly, didn't wealize we were having a spelling contest!

Have a nice day now...

"The law is the law — whether you are rich or poor you have to pay for what you've done," national police spokesman Songpol Wattanachai said Monday, asking skeptics to have faith in the police. "Justice will be served. Just because he is rich doesn't mean he won't go to jail. I'm asking people not to think that way."

police spokesman Songpol Wattanachai I think he can get himself ready for a transfer.

I would like to see this video go viral world wide, to show tourist what they can expect in Thailand.

RiP to the two that lost their lives because of some HiSo clown that thinks he is above the law.

I read about this in the Daily Mail this morning so it is getting about out there.

It's high time the broader populace stood up to the minority low life's who are above the law and those that protect them.

It's like one of those old Hollywood wild West films.

The government is corrupt, in league with rich powerful corrupt businessmen and landowners, who "employ" corrupt law enforcement officers to enforce laws they make on those they want them enforced on; and make sure only the right people are appointed judges and prosecutors.

Only in Hollywood, a brave hero or heroes stand up and rid the land of this bilge. In real life, it sadly ain't so.

Happy days!

Have a nice day now...

A woman, dressed up like a dog's dinner, driving a Mercedes two door flash coupe used to do the same trick at my daughter's school in the mornings. Everyone else on the school run would queue and follow the procession to drop their kids off. Madame was above all that and would try and take any short cut available to get to the front, expect to be let in and expect the teachers to rush to her car and unload her kids immediately.

She was very important, don'y you know sad.png

Remember that slavery and apartheid were once legal. The rule of law has very little to do with justice - it's much more about power. And in Thailand the weathly are very powerful indeed. The guy who did this will recievce gentle treatment from the courts, wait and see.

I know many will say that will never happen, but I am an optimist. Change is being introduced by two factors - greater awareness about these inequalities and the ability to air views about them (social media) and the lingering taste of the now removed democratic experience,(selecting their preferred government, however flawed); which try as they may will not go away. The pressure for that change can only increase.

selecting their preferred government, however flawed

If change is to come it won't be thanks to people being able to select their preferred government, however flawed, because by however flawed you mean however corrupt, and so this is just another perpetuation of the cycle of the rich and powerful being able to ignore laws thanks to power and influence.

Change might come when so called "flawed" politicians are behind bars along with the road killers.

Could this be a case where the brakes were ok but the throttle stuck, just a thought.

More likely the cruise control which he had set on 200 km/h was faulty and could not be switched off.whistling.gif

I can guarantee that the only piece of faulty equipment lay between the ears of the driver.

"We keep asking ourselves, when are the police going to be ashamed enough to do the right thing?"

Sadly, probably never.

Ashamed,what hope is there for the B2 when judges go along with the police, when a blind and deaf man can see right from wrong, no hope when murderes can walk free assisted by a corrupt system, very sad.

Happy days!

Have a nice day now...

A woman, dressed up like a dog's dinner, driving a Mercedes two door flash coupe used to do the same trick at my daughter's school in the mornings. Everyone else on the school run would queue and follow the procession to drop their kids off. Madame was above all that and would try and take any short cut available to get to the front, expect to be let in and expect the teachers to rush to her car and unload her kids immediately.

She was very important, don'y you know sad.png

With 350% import tax on 3.5 litre+ engines, it serves to separate the 'Velly' important from the 'Not So' important!

"Oh Daddy, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz? My friends all drive Porsches, I must make amends."

[Yeah, before anyone points it out, I know it’s Oh Lord, just using a little artistic licence is all.]

I was working away one day when the most hated politician in the country walked into the office (not a business office). In the past, everyone, but everyone, had expressed a huge dislike of this germ, using very angry words. My immediate instinct on seeing him was to stand up and turn my back to him - and hope my politically aware colleagues would do the same, perhaps while chanting "Auk pai"!, for that is what he deserved. But what did they do? They all grinned at him like monkeys, gave him a deep, deep wai and rushed around him like love-struck puppies. This hypocrisy and sycophancy made me want to vomit, and I never spoke to some of them again, such was my disgust. This story epitomizes all that is wrong in this country. If Jenpob were to walk into my office tomorrow, he would expect, nay demand, to be treated like a little god. And the sad things is, my colleagues would oblige. Social approbrium can be a powerful tool, but you'll never see it used on a personal level in this country.

Archived