High-speed Mercedes crash ignites uproar in Thailand

webfact

I get influence buying and all that. I hate it, but I get it. It happens everywhere. Maybe the Thai way will allow the man to buy his way out if the family members are willing to not press charges and take money. The people are dead so their society way of thinking to just take money and go away may be their way. But step 1 is does Thai law even allow for one to refuse drug and alcohol tests? Step 2, just buying out of trouble does little to dissuade others from doing similar crimes, acting deathly irresponsible, etc. This is obscene to my thinking.

Huh? Do you actually think Thai Laws have any real meaning when there is a junta in place?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So why do we all live here in Thailand? Each time a guy writes a farewell post to Thailand.. Because he has had enough.. Most reply with a helping hand of "good riddance". Is this just simple hypocrisy? Head up our bums? What?

Speaking on TV, a police commander said the suspect had the right to refuse breath and blood tests, adding that both police and rescue workers did not smell any alcohol on Janepob's breath.

Well that's OK then.

The last time I got stopped, the policeman said to me "I think you're drunk".

I said "thank goodness for that, I thought the steering had gone".

snare-snare-snare-*Hihat*

Could this be a case where the brakes were ok but the throttle stuck, just a thought.

Dont you think that the driver would have mentioned that first? Also a Mercedes that has the ability to do 240 kmh has massive brakes on it that could easily slow the vehicle down if the throttle was stuck.

They are NOW charging him with DUI? No breathalyzer or blood tests at the time of the accident, the case will easily be thrown out for lack of evidence. Wonder who among the RTP will take the fall for such lack of evidence.

Under the old law any driver refusing to take a test would just be fined 1,000 baht.

AThe law was amended on 31st December 2014 to make it illegal to refuse a breathalyzer test in Thailand.

Now if a driver refuses to take a breathalyser test or complete a walk-and-turn test if asked to do so, police can assume the driver has violated Section 43 (2) of the Traffic Act which prohibits driving under the influence of alcohol and other drugs, resulting in arrest and charges.

Thus, the RTP in this case can charge the Mercedes driver without evidence of tests.

Good thing too otherwise everyone would refuse a test.

Who knows what he used? Maybe it was even harddrugs? Without a test we will never know and a fine of 1000 baht is less than a set of wiperblades or an oilfilter for that Merc.

So i think it's not good if drivers can refuse a test after an accident like this.

"The law is the law — whether you are rich or poor you have to pay for what you've done..."

And I have to call Bull Excrement on that statement. Everyone in Thailand knows that is a crock of creamy crapola. Hence the outrage. But it has to be Thais who demand justice and a change to the justice system, although this two tiered system of justice seems to be seeping it's way into all countries of the world.

Better to blame Mercedes Benz for it and sue them.....

And considering that the high on speed driver had a too hot coffee from Mc Donald's which unloaded on his tiny thing at the time of the impact, he'll also sue Mc Donald's for the pain in his little brain.

Let's see. $ 200 million from Benz and $ 49 million from Mac and he'll never have to drive such an ugly and fast car again.

I'll be his chauffeur.for only $ 20,000/month.But only with a work permit and free gigs. thumbsup.gif

They are NOW charging him with DUI? No breathalyzer or blood tests at the time of the accident, the case will easily be thrown out for lack of evidence. Wonder who among the RTP will take the fall for such lack of evidence.

Under the old law any driver refusing to take a test would just be fined 1,000 baht.

AThe law was amended on 31st December 2014 to make it illegal to refuse a breathalyzer test in Thailand.

Now if a driver refuses to take a breathalyser test or complete a walk-and-turn test if asked to do so, police can assume the driver has violated Section 43 (2) of the Traffic Act which prohibits driving under the influence of alcohol and other drugs, resulting in arrest and charges.

Thus, the RTP in this case can charge the Mercedes driver without evidence of tests.

Good thing too otherwise everyone would refuse a test.

Who knows what he used? Maybe it was even harddrugs? Without a test we will never know and a fine of 1000 baht is less than a set of wiperblades or an oilfilter for that Merc.

So i think it's not good if drivers can refuse a test after an accident like this.

What if he has plenty of rubber-trees and a Poppy farm? Then he only needs to replace the rubber from the trees. Chai Mai? thumbsup.gif

"The law is the law — whether you are rich or poor you have to pay for what you've done..."

And I have to call Bull Excrement on that statement. Everyone in Thailand knows that is a crock of creamy crapola. Hence the outrage. But it has to be Thais who demand justice and a change to the justice system, although this two tiered system of justice seems to be seeping it's way into all countries of the world.

Yes, you only have to speak to many Thai's who are getting increasingly outraged at this sort of incident, social media means this type of behaviour is much more difficult to sweep under the carpet. Those at the top of the pecking order have the most to lose from public unease at a two tiered justice system and demands for change. I think change may come, not out of a sense of morality but an awareness that the ladder is getting shaken a little too much for comfort,

Archived