Dying in Thailand, Funeral Arrangements and Bank Account

If I die in Thailand I have ne wish to be repatriated. All my assets are in the UK which I already have a Will for, I only have 1 Bank Account in Thailand.

1) How do you arrange to be cremated in Thailand ?

2) What do the Bank, Kasikorn require to close my account after I pass away to enable my daughter to have access to the remaining balance of around £15k ?

Jamie, for the correct information, I strongly you contact Kelvin at 888 Lawyers.. <snip> don't accept, the 'Bar lawyers' opinion.. Regards, Matthew

If he follows your advice, he likely as not will have no money left to give his daughter!!!!!

well said, nick

Thai888 Law Co. (http://thai888.com/about.html) is located in View Talay 5 in Pattaya. Kelvin is Australian and is the Managing Director - his partner Jaeb is a Thai lawyer. I and a few others I know had his firm write our Thai wills. He also represents Allison Monkhouse Funeral Directors (Australian company with a branch in Bangkok) for making funeral arrangements through them and for handling probate, etc. Allison Monkhouse also has "prepaid" funeral plans if you want to make arrangements beforehand to take the burden off family and/or friends. I have only used the firm to write my Thai will, but am giving some thought to looking into their prepaid funeral plans.

Best solution would be to spend all your money at the naughty bars, every night until you die. Then hope that God judges you to be too

naughty to go to heaven, and sends you to the fire pit of Hell.

Money Gone, Body Cremated, and you are all sorted.

don't die in Thailand .... you don't want to go out lonely ....

What rhetorical nonsense he may go home and have no one to look after him or anyone who cares he may also die in Thailand and have friends and family to be with him at the last moment

Probably need a bit more info. You mentioned your daughter. Is she here in Thailand and is she an adult?

My daughter is an adult, married with a young family, she lives in the UK, never been to Thailand and TBH I would prefer if every thing could be arranged with out her having to come to Thailand.

Jamie,

Draw up a Thai will that states that you want to cremated here. Regarding the K-bank account you can leave the balance in your will to your daughter, unfortunately this will mean that you will either have to appoint someone to execute your will or your daughter will have to come here to do so. There are maybe 2 shortcut ways. The first is to have a second ATM card for your K-bank account. When you die she draws the money in the UK. The second way is to have 2 K-bank accounts. The first you use and keep your money in, this account must however be internet banking enabled and your daughter must have access to this accounts internet facility. The second account is a dummy account, for this account your daughter keeps the ATM card. If you should die here, your daughter transfer the money from your account to the dummy account and she draw the money at the ATM in the UK. There would be banking charges but much less than legal fees for executing a will. Just remember to change the pin codes of any new ATM card before trying to use them outside of Thailand.

Probably need a bit more info. You mentioned your daughter. Is she here in Thailand and is she an adult?

My daughter is an adult, married with a young family, she lives in the UK, never been to Thailand and TBH I would prefer if every thing could be arranged with out her having to come to Thailand.

May I make a suggestion? I`m going to anyway.

Don`t trust any lawyers in Thailand, or anywhere in fact.

Visit your bank where you have the account. Ask to speak to an advisor or the manager. Explain that if you are in Thailand when you die you would like the funds from your accounts transferred over to your daughter`s account in England. If this is possible give your bank the details and make sure you get something in writing. Try that first.

Visit your bank where you have the account. Ask to speak to an advisor or the manager. Explain that if you are in Thailand when you die you would like the funds from your accounts transferred over to your daughter`s account in England. If this is possible give your bank the details and make sure you get something in writing. Try that first.

The most direct and reasonable path, for some reason, winds up being the road least traveled here. Excellent advice, CF.

You need a will to set out how you want your affairs handled in the event of your death or you become incapacitated. You can the register your will with Asia One and have them carry out your funeral, cremation and repatriation as you wish. Call Donnie Ekstrom. He can also arrange a prepaid funeral and take care of everything.

Average price for a will to be made out is around 5000 baht......for a bit of an insight into the dying procedures go to the 'pinned' topic

Dying in Chiangmai.... It's at the start of the Chiangmai forum....that's all you really need to know...do not even consider Alison Monkhouse Australian funeral directors with a branch in Bangkok.....good luck, it's not hard to set up really

To be sure a will should be written detailing the bank account is to become the property of your daughter.

Sadly that is not enough as upon your demise probate and court order will still be required to make this happen with the bank.

If your daughter lives here, she may not even have the funds to initiate that and you should make some arrangement.

If your daughter lives in the UK, again some expenses plus those for a flight and accommodation are required.

If she is completely trustworthy..... you could put the money into an account you both have access to.

I would not take that risk with my Thai wife..... I will leave her with sufficient funds to effect probate.

Edited by jacko45k

I asked this question at my bank (K-Bank) once a few years ago.
They told me that my embassy would have to get involved and produce a death certificate.

Then the money would go through them to my estate back home.
Something like that.
I don't remember exactly.
But, I would follow the advice of whoever said to go ask your Thai bank's manager.

Bank accounts are frozen after a death, atm from abroad might not work as it would take a while to get all the money out, if you still could.

Are they? How does the bank know when a expat account holder has died? Surely your embassy doesn't contact every bank to let them know one of their citizens has died. Or do they? I can understand if several people were involved in the decease persons will then having the account frozen would be the right thing to do until the estate was sorted out.

I understand the reasons for your suggestion above... But really... if you don't trust lawyers in Thailand (and elsewhere) with good reason, then why should you trust some Thai banker any more?

And more to the point, the arrangement you're suggesting isn't particularly legally binding, and who's to say that the bank manager you reach some understanding with is going to be there at the same bank some years later when your time comes? More than likely, the bank staff will change and those there at the time of your passing won't do anything and won't have any clue of whatever arrangement you thought you'd made previously with their predecessors.