At least five missing in Krabi construction accident

snoop1130

At least five missing in Krabi construction accident
Kritsada Mueanhawong

post-249866-0-91659600-1458907367_thumb.

KRABI: -- At least five women are missing after the building they were working on collapsed this afternoon.

The foreman at the Institute of Physical Education - Krabi Campus construction site was unable to confirm the cause of the incident.

Rescue workers are on site searching for anyone trapped in the wreckage.

Full Story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Breaking-News-least-five-missing-Krabi-construction/63525?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-03-25

Five female construction workers die in Krabi when building collapses on top of them
Darawan Naknakhon

post-249866-0-60423600-1458908533_thumb.

PHUKET: -- Five female construction workers died this afternoon (Mar 25) when they got trapped under a partly built building that collapsed in Krabi.

Krabi District Chief Suriyan Narongkul and Krabi Police Chief Col Sompong Thiparpakul led officials including rescue workers and an emergency unit to investigate the building collapse at the Institute of Physical Education - Krabi Campus Muang district at 2:30pm.

Officials were told that many workers were missing when the second floor slab that was being poured collapsed on top of a number of construction workers working below.

After twenty minutes of searching, rescue workers found five bodies under the debris of wet cement and concrete fragments.

The victims were named as Jitranon Saikaew, 26, Kathleeya Jandeewan, 22,Yad Codon, 42, Warin Rachabuth, 31, Linthong Promsuwan, 37, all Thai nationals.

Full Story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/five-female-construction-workers-die-in-krabi-when-building-collapses-on-top-of-them-56784.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-03-25

So again, where are the government agencies who should be continuously, perhaps in pre-planned steps / perhaps by regular random inspections watching all of this to prevent accidents and to punish, and to made gains in quality?

Why are these officers / people not regularly mentioned in news reports and especially when events like this one happen?

If there are no policies / regulations / visits / inspections then someone is derelict and should be punished / dismissed.

Or is this another 'angle' of the influential people who strongly frightened the relevant officials?

Probably caused by poor quality materials, poor to no existent engineering design and sub standard workers taking short cuts.

Tragic for the people who lost their lives. All victims RIP and condolences to their families

Guess all the chaps were outside smoking and congratulating each other on a job ‘almost’ well done!

Amazes me how hard the women work on construction sites here. Can you imagine farang birds humping blocks and knocking up cement?

My deepest condolences to the ladies and their families. One sincerely hopes there will be adequate compensation, and yet, sadly, one also doubts it very much!

In the LOS it is easy to determine the cause of a building collapsing.if.the project calls for a certain size of steel rods in the cement then the foreman will use a less quality and size in the construction,then he will not use the correct mixture of sand,gravel,and concrete .He will then pocket the savings not caring about building codes or safety.These lapse in safety in construction in ever endeavor in LOS is covered up via bribes.Knowing this how would you like to be riding on the first trip when Thailand builds the super fast rail road?

It is time to forget about thin timber and nails to hold tremendous weights.

There is enough money made to invest in metal scaffolding, cheap charlies.

I feel sorry for the families having lost their daughters.

What a tragic way for these women to die. I know that the labourers in construction

work very hard for very little pay. Even in Bangkok I seen workers that made such poor

wages that they also worked evenings at other jobs just to survive. In Phuket I seen

women packing 5 gallon pails of cement from a truck to a bank in Karon beach town, and

they were making about 200 to 300 baht for a 6 hour shift. It was all they could do before they were

too exhausted to work longer. The fat supervisor, was none too friendly to them when they

would stop early in the afternoon, and I seen 3 women quit because of the oh so friendly guy.

That was about 20 years ago, but I actually paid one woman who had dislocated her shoulder and

was getting yelled at by a guy with the hard hat. She was in terrible pain, and I got a taxi

to take her to a clinic. After the Doctor had set her shoulder I got another taxi to take her to her

home. It was there that I gave her 2000 baht and said for her to stay away from the job, and

find something else she could do even if it did not pay as much money.

RIP to those women, and condolences to their families and friends.

Geezer

Five female construction workers die in Krabi when building collapses on top of them

Darawan Naknakhon

attachicon.gif1458903943_1-org.jpg

PHUKET: -- Five female construction workers died this afternoon (Mar 25) when they got trapped under a partly built building that collapsed in Krabi.

Krabi District Chief Suriyan Narongkul and Krabi Police Chief Col Sompong Thiparpakul led officials including rescue workers and an emergency unit to investigate the building collapse at the Institute of Physical Education - Krabi Campus Muang district at 2:30pm.

Officials were told that many workers were missing when the second floor slab that was being poured collapsed on top of a number of construction workers working below.

After twenty minutes of searching, rescue workers found five bodies under the debris of wet cement and concrete fragments.

The victims were named as Jitranon Saikaew, 26, Kathleeya Jandeewan, 22,Yad Codon, 42, Warin Rachabuth, 31, Linthong Promsuwan, 37, all Thai nationals.

Full Story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/five-female-construction-workers-die-in-krabi-when-building-collapses-on-top-of-them-56784.php

tpn.jpg

-- Phuket News 2016-03-25

Thailand proudly boasts that it was never colonised. A pity, as they might have learned what a Dept of Labour and Industry does.

They check building sites and standards of scaffolding, construction work, power supply. No doubt they would cancel licences of slack building supervisors.

"Safety Last" is what the construction site banners should read. Have never seen and incidents written on their public board. should the genius foreman-supervisor not have made sure the lower floor was unoccupied ?

corruption and ineptitude reinventing themselves

In the LOS it is easy to determine the cause of a building collapsing.if.the project calls for a certain size of steel rods in the cement then the foreman will use a less quality and size in the construction,then he will not use the correct mixture of sand,gravel,and concrete .He will then pocket the savings not caring about building codes or safety.These lapse in safety in construction in ever endeavor in LOS is covered up via bribes.Knowing this how would you like to be riding on the first trip when Thailand builds the super fast rail road?

But the Chinese will be doing the actual building of the railway (if that consoles you), while Thailand is merely footing the bill...

But the Chinese will be doing the actual building of the railway (if that consoles you), while Thailand is merely footing the bill...

post-254872-0-12400700-1458971227_thumb.

Well, as I implied, the building of the Thai railway by Chinese is hardly a consolation, is it?

Well, as I implied, the building of the Thai railway by Chinese is hardly a consolation, is it?

There is a good chance that these ladies were not Thai. It is a dirty, low paying job they usually get the Burmese/Laotian/ Cambodians to do. But not always.

I can't understand all this nonsense about Thais not being able to build railways. The skytrains, underground subways etc in Bangkok are great world class systems. Very clean, nicely air conditioned, none of the graffiti you find in the farang countries.

I will use the train to Korat for sure, much better than that dangerous drive currently over the mountains (Kabinburi, I think it is called)

Clever people these Thais.

I've seen plenty of bad construction projects in South East Asia and many in China. That is partly to do with the fact that there are very few checks and measures. I had three houses built in Thailand and had quotes from different "builders" running from 450,000 to 1,200,000 baht for the same job. Unfortunately prices quoted didn't reflect the quality of the build or the expertise supplied. It took some time to find the right people who I used for the next two projects and many friends used too. Needless to say they have now moved back to Myanmar and are working on hotel construction there.

You will often see families on building sites in most of the SEA countries where the wives of the labourers also work and live. It is a hard and dangerous life for many reasons. When I lived in Hong Kong I used to have breakfast in the 18th floor apartment I was living in whilst watching workers on the construction site next door. They would shimmy up the bamboo scaffolding in bare feet wearing just t-shirts and shorts, often in the pouring rain hanging on for dear life as the wind blustered around them.

RIP to the Dead.

Construction accidents happen all over the world not only in Thailand and China.

http://abc7ny.com/tag/construction-accident/

http://www.mom.gov.sg/newsroom/press-releases/2016/0218-fatal-accident-at-great-earth-construction-pte-ltd-worksite

http://www.abc.net.au/sydney/topics/disasters-and-accidents/accidents/workplace/?page=1

Are the Chinese incorruptible------- and will there be no corruption in the money trail before it gets to the Chinese.I don't care what you say,this is a massive multi dollar venture.Much too big for those in the know to let slip through their fingerscoffee1.gif

Probably caused by poor quality materials, poor to no existent engineering design and sub standard workers taking short cuts.

Tragic for the people who lost their lives. All victims RIP and condolences to their families

Forgetting also the basics of Health & Safety in the workplace..... why would you ever work underneath a floor that is being poured. Complete and utter disregard for peoples safety.

There is a good chance that these ladies were not Thai. It is a dirty, low paying job they usually get the Burmese/Laotian/ Cambodians to do. But not always.

I can't understand all this nonsense about Thais not being able to build railways. The skytrains, underground subways etc in Bangkok are great world class systems. Very clean, nicely air conditioned, none of the graffiti you find in the farang countries.

I will use the train to Korat for sure, much better than that dangerous drive currently over the mountains (Kabinburi, I think it is called)

Clever people these Thais.

Don't be so hasty there Pollyanna.

Google: BTS, Seimens, Italian

Also, don't forget the inauguration of the early service of the MRT:

"On 17 January 2005, just after 09:15, an empty train returning to the depot collided with a peak-hour train filled with passengers at the Thailand Cultural Centre MRT Station. 140 people were hurt, most of whom sustained only minor injuries, and the entire Metro network was shut down for two weeks."

Frankly, I think I'll wait a couple years until they work the bugs out of the Korat high-speed train, before joining the happy crowds.

Archived