At least five missing in Krabi construction accident

snoop1130

But the Chinese will be doing the actual building of the railway (if that consoles you), while Thailand is merely footing the bill...

Well, as I implied, the building of the Thai railway by Chinese is hardly a consolation, is it?

There is a good chance that these ladies were not Thai. It is a dirty, low paying job they usually get the Burmese/Laotian/ Cambodians to do. But not always.

I can't understand all this nonsense about Thais not being able to build railways. The skytrains, underground subways etc in Bangkok are great world class systems. Very clean, nicely air conditioned, none of the graffiti you find in the farang countries.

I will use the train to Korat for sure, much better than that dangerous drive currently over the mountains (Kabinburi, I think it is called)

Clever people these Thais.

Don't be so hasty there Pollyanna.

Google: BTS, Seimens, Italian

Also, don't forget the inauguration of the early service of the MRT:

"On 17 January 2005, just after 09:15, an empty train returning to the depot collided with a peak-hour train filled with passengers at the Thailand Cultural Centre MRT Station. 140 people were hurt, most of whom sustained only minor injuries, and the entire Metro network was shut down for two weeks."

Frankly, I think I'll wait a couple years until they work the bugs out of the Korat high-speed train, before joining the happy crowds.

Yeah, didn't know any of that. I might have heard it but being a Polyanna I have an uncanny ability to forget certain things. Interesting Wikipedia article that. Thank you.

I hope the Italians don't get involved in this Korat line. No wonder there were problems. The most recent train crash I can remember a few months back was in Europe somewhere.

Probably a good idea not to go on it in the first month or so, but even then, crossing those mountains to get to Issan by road is bloody dangerous. The overtaking, the large vehicles, lack of emergency lanes feels to me like the most dangerous road I have ever been on. It is so exciting.

But the Chinese will be doing the actual building of the railway (if that consoles you), while Thailand is merely footing the bill...

Well, as I implied, the building of the Thai railway by Chinese is hardly a consolation, is it?

There is a good chance that these ladies were not Thai. It is a dirty, low paying job they usually get the Burmese/Laotian/ Cambodians to do. But not always.

I can't understand all this nonsense about Thais not being able to build railways. The skytrains, underground subways etc in Bangkok are great world class systems. Very clean, nicely air conditioned, none of the graffiti you find in the farang countries.

I will use the train to Korat for sure, much better than that dangerous drive currently over the mountains (Kabinburi, I think it is called)

Clever people these Thais.

Don't be so hasty there Pollyanna.

Google: BTS, Seimens, Italian

Also, don't forget the inauguration of the early service of the MRT:

"On 17 January 2005, just after 09:15, an empty train returning to the depot collided with a peak-hour train filled with passengers at the Thailand Cultural Centre MRT Station. 140 people were hurt, most of whom sustained only minor injuries, and the entire Metro network was shut down for two weeks."

Frankly, I think I'll wait a couple years until they work the bugs out of the Korat high-speed train, before joining the happy crowds.

Yeah, didn't know any of that. I might have heard it but being a Polyanna I have an uncanny ability to forget certain things. Interesting Wikipedia article that. Thank you.

I hope the Italians don't get involved in this Korat line. No wonder there were problems. The most recent train crash I can remember a few months back was in Europe somewhere.

Probably a good idea not to go on it in the first month or so, but even then, crossing those mountains to get to Issan by road is bloody dangerous. The overtaking, the large vehicles, lack of emergency lanes feels to me like the most dangerous road I have ever been on. It is so exciting.

The statistics agree with you too. Statistically, that stretch of road has more accidents than any other location in Thailand.

Nice to know there is nowhere worse.

Going over it and back songkran week.

Should be exciting times.

If I stop posting you will know what has happened.

Going on the most dangerous road, during the seven dangerous days in the second most dangerous country in the world to drive.

Archived