THE England thread

rijit

Looked back and couldn't find one, so what better time to start an England thread, after coming back from 2 -0 down away from home, to beat the

world champions Germany in their own back yard 3 -2, biggrin.png big up to Roy Hodgson who seems to be doing an excellent, job cant argue with the

qualifying results. This was no fluke, it was a strong German team ,but have to say IMO Hodgsons England were the better team. Next up another test

Holland at wembley on Tuesday wai2.gif

• Like 1

Yep we are looking good, please Roy don't bring Rooney back into the squad when fit.

And Barkley for Henderson, and Lalana needs shifting out to light weight.

Alli is a top player as is Kane would love them both at United.

• Like 1

Yep we are looking good, please Roy don't bring Rooney back into the squad when fit.

Glad you mentioned the Totenham contribution wai2.gif didnt want to be the one to bring it up , but lets not forget dier, he was knocking on my man of the match door, thought he was excellent, even pops up with the odd goal biggrin.png if the team has a weakness imo tonight it was the center bacs looked shaky and thats kind but that might improve when Jones comes back,And rose at left bac although defensively he's come on leaps and bounds, he still gets in to some poor positions and on another night against a better wide man he could v easily be exposed, lets hope Shaw gets match fit soon, no doubts he's England 1st choice lb . Cant agree about rooney, no matter what, he's a class act, nearest weve had to a world stage player in the last 10 years,atm hes the leader and talisman, though his position may well come under threat in the not to distant future .

Good points mate. What this told me was that Kane should start over Rooney and Alli has to be selected if its a choice between him and Barkley. regardless, i can't see why or where Rooney fits in anymore. With Shaw back at left back when fit and Dier more experienced this is a promising young side.

All said, i bet Roy brings Rooney straight back into the team when fit.

I don't normally watch England friendlies but with four Spurs players starting i had to and thankfully no injuries.

Always said that Hodgson would do a good job given time

In all positions we have very good young players now and a lot of pace ...Hart is fighting for his place now with Forster and Butland.

Hopefully Shaw comes back as he left off would like to see Stones fill out and partner Smalling at CB and right back is between Clynne and Walker with even Trippier in with shout.

Midfield looks very strong Ali ...Dier...Barkley...OX...Walcott...and plenty of strong running water carriers like Drinkwater Delph Mason Shelvey Henderson?

Strikers...Kane...Vardy..Wellbeck..Sterling...Sturridge...Rooney?

With loads of yongsters coming through who given the chance at club level could very well push on as some of the Spurs lads have done....

Good to see and credit should go to Hodgson as a lot of the old timers have finished and he has started to get a very good young squad together now.

• Like 1

In all positions we have very good young players now and a lot of pace ...Hart is fighting for his place now with Forster and Butland.

Hopefully Shaw comes back as he left off would like to see Stones fill out and partner Smalling at CB and right back is between Clynne and Walker with even Trippier in with shout.

Midfield looks very strong Ali ...Dier...Barkley...OX...Walcott...and plenty of strong running water carriers like Drinkwater Delph Mason Shelvey Henderson?

With loads of yongsters coming through who given the chance at club level could very well push on as some of the Spurs lads have done....

Good to see and credit should go to Hodgson as a lot of the old timers have finished and he has started to get a very good young squad together now.

facepalm.giffacepalm.gif

• Like 1

Good to see England no longer playing negative guys like Rooney (hopefully out forever) and Gerrard. The current squad of players are always looking to move the ball forward in the same style as Leicester and Spurs do.

This season does seem to be the beginning of the end for dull European style keepball in the English top flight and a return to more positive and exciting English style footy, built on defending as a team and always looking to play with attacking intent.

Sent from my R2D2 using my C3P0 manservant

Edited by JaseTheBass
  • Like 2

facepalm.giffacepalm.gif

Behave Mr Bias

The Vardy story just goes on, great taken goal with almost his first touch, Germans looked ragged at the end. Kane looked far more effective up front than we have has in recent years, caused them real problems

• Like 1

Beaten England Quarter Finalist Rooney said, "Yes of course it was the right decision to play me in every game of the Euros....I haven't scored in ten months that's true but look at my record...."

His pupped master nodded sagely....and nodded and nodded.

Beaten England Quarter Finalist Rooney said, "Yes of course it was the right decision to play me in every game of the Euros....I haven't scored in ten months that's true but look at my record...."

His pupped master nodded sagely....and nodded and nodded.

Just out of interest do Scotland have an International football team these days or is it still just tennis and cycling? whistling.gif

Love it how it is called a training match and not a friendly match :)

I put 0 weight on this game ( even if Germany would've won ). I didn't watch the game, but saw the highlights and statistics.

Just for arguments sake:

I don't think it was a strong German side as mentioned in an earlier post. For one, our Captain, Schweinsteiger, was out injured. Secondly and most importantly, it was a new defense. The only one from the World Cup winning squad ( that played regularly ) was Hummels. And Third, our "striker" Gomez. At most I believe he belongs on the bench and Mueller put up front and Goetze on the right wing ( who was out injured as well ).

I am not saying that the reserve players weren't good, I am just saying this is far from an ideal German line-up.

Also, I haven't seen any mention of the disallowed offside goal, that wasn't offside. The game may have ended a little different without a linesman mistake.

All that being said, England did play well....at least the part of the highlights I saw. However, I wouldn't put too much hopes and dreams into this game.

facepalm.giffacepalm.gif

Behave Mr Bias

You obviously didn't understand whistling.gif

facepalm.giffacepalm.gif

Behave Mr Bias

You obviously didn't understand whistling.gif

Explain yourself then cryptic conn.

Love it how it is called a training match and not a friendly match smile.png

I put 0 weight on this game ( even if Germany would've won ). I didn't watch the game, but saw the highlights and statistics.

Just for arguments sake:

I don't think it was a strong German side as mentioned in an earlier post. For one, our Captain, Schweinsteiger, was out injured. Secondly and most importantly, it was a new defense. The only one from the World Cup winning squad ( that played regularly ) was Hummels. And Third, our "striker" Gomez. At most I believe he belongs on the bench and Mueller put up front and Goetze on the right wing ( who was out injured as well ).

I am not saying that the reserve players weren't good, I am just saying this is far from an ideal German line-up.

Also, I haven't seen any mention of the disallowed offside goal, that wasn't offside. The game may have ended a little different without a linesman mistake.

All that being said, England did play well....at least the part of the highlights I saw. However, I wouldn't put too much hopes and dreams into this game.

England are just plain awful in tournaments it has to be said.

This was by no means a German 'B' team. But it was surely a tactical error to play an inexperienced back line against such a strong attack. Low must have known Vardy would come on at some point.

Yes, it was a far from ideal line up, but that's because Germany appears to lack its usual strength in depth. I don't agree with the idea that Germany could have fielded much better, eg,Schweinsteiger is not in good club form anyway.

The disallowed goal seemed offside, but could just as easily been given.

I do think England made heavy work of what might have been a more comfortable win. When England came out of their shell you could see Germany were a little stunned.

Both teams need better defences that's for sure.

• Like 1

Hodgson says this is his finest moment.

A training match!

And as always, everyone in the kingdom are 100% sure the team will lift the next cup..........................................as always.

Well it was his best as an England manager; things not been so good in recent years.

Thr German manager looked really angry, wonder why? after all if it was only a training match....

I don't know one Englishman who thinks we will lift the cup, most of us just hoping for a decent showing.

Just watched the highlights. Keeper could have done better with the first German goal. Bad marking with the second. Nice first England goal. Cheeky great second goal then a powerful header.

I thought Dier stood off Toni Kroos too much for the first goal.

Great positives from the game but the central defense looked suspect and i don't think Cahill is really up to the job. John Stones and Mike Smalling for me.

looks like Butland is out of the Euro

Yep confirmed that he's fractured his ankle.

Hughes will be pleased.

looks like Butland is out of the Euro

Yep confirmed that he's fractured his ankle.

Hughes will be pleased.

Will the FA be compensating Stoke for their goalkeeping loss (which, after all, might arguably have a bearing on their push for Europe next season)? Or is it a case of "Tough sh*t, mate"?

With uncertainty over Hart's fitness as well, England may well end up being solely dependent on Forster for the Euros. The goalkeeping cupboard is looking increasingly worryingly bare....

Will the FA be compensating Stoke for their goalkeeping loss (which, after all, might arguably have a bearing on their push for Europe next season)? Or is it a case of "Tough sh*t, mate"?

I believe compensation is now the norm.