THE England thread

rijit

No idea how the likes of Milner gets picked ahead of Drinkwater,and don't see the point of Rashford going. He is NOT the form striker of the PL, but i suppose we do need cover for when Sturridge is injured stepping off the plane.

Oh and am i the only person who thinks Sterling is way over rated ? would not get in me Sunday side.

Milner = utility player n grafter = manager's dream

No idea how the likes of Milner gets picked ahead of Drinkwater,and don't see the point of Rashford going. He is NOT the form striker of the PL, but i suppose we do need cover for when Sturridge is injured stepping off the plane.

Oh and am i the only person who thinks Sterling is way over rated ? would not get in me Sunday side.

To be fair, we need quality players rather than a jack of all trades master of none type !

Milner = utility player n grafter = manager's dream = England manager's dream and probably why it's been 50 years since we won a major tournament.

Picking players because they can work a bit is nonsense. The likes of Milner may be ok against the average premiership full back but up against a quality international defender he's pants. The same can be said of Stirling, slightly different as his one trick is speed, but it's the Euro's not 100m final, and all good defenders can play against pace. Neither player has excelled in European competitions.

This squad is a typical safety first England managers choice and i am already getting ready to be disappointed come the 2nd week of June. However should Roy get lucky with some injuries and be forced to play the likes of Vardy and Keane upfront together we may scrape through to the next round.

Two points to you Milner doubters.

1. Be surprised if fans of the clubs he's played for have nothing but praise for Jimmy.

2. Utility players are a managers dream as they can cover many positions (stating the obvious). In a tournament that's useful. Milner can cover any central or wide midfield or winger or fullback position, he's played emergency centre forward for City and probably others and I'll bet he'd do a job at centre back and goalie. As stated above, not so many defenders in the squad. He will do a job, Woy knows that, as do Kloppy and all his past managers.

3. Relating picking Milner and 50 years is nonsense. If England managers picked loads of utility players in past squads then maybe you might have a point though I doubt it as the simple fact is we haven't been good enough in that 50 year period to win.

• Like 1

I also think it is a bit of a shame Drinkwater isn't going, and Townsend. I think as soon as Wilshere, and Henderson were delared fit that was that for the unlucky pair. Roy long since said he was sticking with players that were there during qualification.

But unless England can play with the same spirit and resolve as N.Ireland, or Wales then it really doesn't matter who is out there. I hope Roy understands why it is Leicester are champions, and teams like Bournemouth survive. It's everyone playing for one another and the team.

• Like 1

1. Be surprised if fans of the clubs he's played for have nothing but praise for Jimmy.

2. Utility players are a managers dream as they can cover many positions (stating the obvious). In a tournament that's useful. Milner can cover any central or wide midfield or winger or fullback position, he's played emergency centre forward for City and probably others and I'll bet he'd do a job at centre back and goalie. As stated above, not so many defenders in the squad. He will do a job, Woy knows that, as do Kloppy and all his past managers.

3. Relating picking Milner and 50 years is nonsense. If England managers picked loads of utility players in past squads then maybe you might have a point though I doubt it as the simple fact is we haven't been good enough in that 50 year period to win.

He's in form, been playing a deeper role for his club very successfully, During the game, managers often change formation. I don't see it is a problem. The jack of all trades is master at one thing : being the jack of all trades.

So we have 5 centre forwards for 1/2 spots, 3 centre halfs for 2 spots, 1 def mid, looks all a bit lop sided to me.

But Rooney can play anywhere!

With Rooney, my view is he is both a top class striker, and a very good midfielder. I reckon he's needed to shore up midfield, after all England is not short of strikers.

So we have 5 centre forwards for 1/2 spots, 3 centre halfs for 2 spots, 1 def mid, looks all a bit lop sided to me.

But Rooney can play anywhere!

With Rooney, my view is he is both a top class striker, and a very good midfielder. I reckon he's needed to shore up midfield, after all England is not short of strikers.

what has made you think rooney is a very good midfielder? half a dozen matches out of position under van gaal?

I can see why Woy picked that squad. Hard on Drinkwater but I think he knows his starting 11 so he has picked a squad of players that are multifuctional.

Dier, Milner, Alli, Rooney, Wilshere can give England that.

I don't believe we are defensively strong enough and Woy knows this.

I would like to see

Hart

Walker Cahill Smalling Rose

Dier

Alli Rooney Wilshere

Vardy Kane

milner's had a good season, got more assists in the league than any other english player i think? and that in a crap team as well. he's experienced, reliable, plays a number of positions and sets up goals. good player to have in your squad.

• Like 1

All hail boring James Milner.

Him getting a start seems incomprehensible....only there to cover I would assume.

England have some good players funnily enough ...as much as I would love to see you massacred you should be 50/50 to make the quarters.

defo red card tbh when I first saw it my

first words were he could have killed him probably a bit ott, but seriously cant remember the last time ive seen a challenge that deserves more than a red

I have absolutely no idea what shape they have been told to play

i have. vardy is effectively playing left wing, kane is effectively playing right wing, dele alli is way too deep. three players played out of position to accommodate rooney. its classic hodging.

i have. vardy is effectively playing left wing, kane is effectively playing right wing, dele alli is way too deep. three players played out of position to accommodate rooney. its classic hodging.

It's hilarious....loving it...must be a bluff by Hodgson...he's a canny fecker!

• Like 1

Is hodging like a squishy diamond that's bent out of shape with 2 sides and the point is often so far back its sniffing joe harts buttocks

• Like 1

vardy had nine touches, eight on the left wing and one in the middle - for kick-off.

no massive surprise england began to look much better and won the game once rooney went off and players were played in their correct positions. you'd have to assume the XI that started this game is the intended starting XI for the opening euros match against russia next weekend.

• Like 1

Totally underwhelming stuff that was. Players played out of position to accomodate someone that doesn't fit in the team. Its so bloody obvious!! If anyone thought England might be a danger in the upcoming tournament that game would have served up a big morale booster to the top european teams.

i'm really struggling to comprehend if the manager learnt anything from the last premier league season.

Not one defender that you would describe as a good international player.

Playing a system that no player is use too.

Sq pegs in round holes.

Playing with just one defensive mid player (you need to play with 2 in front of the back 4).

Be lucky to make it out of the group stage !

Edited by alfieconn