THE England thread

rijit

Not one defender that you would describe as a good international player.

Playing a system that no player is use too.

Sq pegs in round holes.

Playing with just one defensive mid player (you need to play with 2 in front of the back 4).

Be lucky to make it out of the group stage !

Quite. This is heading towards a shocking waste of some very decent young talent. After the utter debacle of the last world cup it still amazes me he kept his job.

Flat turgid predictable crap.

• Like 1

Be lucky to make it out of the group stage !

I'm glad you're not joking.

England's best hope is limping to the third-placed play-offs, with some luck on the way.

I just can't see us getting anywhere with Woy's insistence of a team revolving around Rooney. It's just complete madness.

F me,,, we won against a decent team,, this thread is so boringly negative. Bright points for me, thought wiltshire looked good,as he gets fitter he'll be plus, ide almost forgotten what a class act he is. And thought sterling looked like he played with a 'freedom 'he's somehow lacked domestically and even without the x, looked effective.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Blimey lads. We haven't even kicked a ball in anger yet. Friendlies are just that, the proper comp still has a week to go. More positive vibes please.

Exactly, that's what i'm worried about biggrin.png

I might actually do a Mr Red and start some decorating from next week laugh.png

Edited by alfieconn
  • Like 1

F me,,, we won against a decent team,, this thread is so boringly negative.

Hang on, hang on. We won against a Ronaldo-less ten man side for 55 minutes of the game.

Still, don't worry, Woy's got it covered with another of his pearls of wisdom: "It is often a struggle when you play against 10 men."

Complete BS. Woy's constant inane tinkering with a quality squad will ensure utter humiliation, again.

Should have been sacked at the end of the last World Cup.

I'd love to stay up to 2am (ICT) for next week's opener, but just can't manage it. I fear waking up to crushing defeat by the Ruskies.

That's as positive as I can be at present.

Edited by wooloomooloo

Blimey lads. We haven't even kicked a ball in anger yet. Friendlies are just that, the proper comp still has a week to go. More positive vibes please.

Exactly, that's what i'm worried about biggrin.png

I might actually do a Mr Red and start some decorating from next week laugh.png

I have a vacancy 300 baht a day if your interested?

7-6pm 1 hour lunch coffee1.gif tools provided.

unfortunately its just hopeless. Theres a group of lads here that could really cause a stir at the euros, they are very talented. But the manager just hasn't got a clue. Flat blunt, easy to defend against and all there best attributes will be denied in a slow, flat formation that will get carved open.

I could do a helluva lot better.thumbsup.gif

unfortunately its just hopeless. Theres a group of lads here that could really cause a stir at the euros, they are very talented. But the manager just hasn't got a clue. Flat blunt, easy to defend against and all there best attributes will be denied in a slow, flat formation that will get carved open.

I must admit that last night was painful to watch, even though Portugal are no mugs, we just didn't seem to have a game plan.. Or at least one that we played to. However, it was a friendly and I'm hoping, nay praying, that was just Roy trying something out and giving a bit of game time to some of the lads. If he puts out that same starting 11 next week, then we are doomed.

If he puts out that same starting 11 next week, then we are doomed.

If Woy puts that side out next week without Rooney and plays a sensible formation and not the funky diamond, ruby or Christmas tree formation, whatever it is, then we might have a chance.

I must admit that last night was painful to watch, even though Portugal are no mugs, we just didn't seem to have a game plan.. Or at least one that we played to. However, it was a friendly and I'm hoping, nay praying, that was just Roy trying something out and giving a bit of game time to some of the lads. If he puts out that same starting 11 next week, then we are doomed.

i reckon this close to a tournament kicking off that's his intended starting XI.

if i gave a toss i'd be very concerned about a manager who picked no actual wingers in his squad then playing the season's two best goalscorers out on the wings. it doesn't bode well for his tournament plans and preparation.

i reckon this close to a tournament kicking off that's his intended starting XI.

if i gave a toss i'd be very concerned about a manager who picked no actual wingers in his squad then playing the season's two best goalscorers out on the wings. it doesn't bode well for his tournament plans and preparation.

What would your team and formation be?

think i posted it earlier didn't i?

though if england want to exploit the two strikers they have in form play a diamond with dier at the base of it, milner and wilshere or henderson as the two either side and alli at the top of it with vardy and kane up top. if you play 4-2-3-1 then probably dier and milner in the 2 with lallana, alli and sterling ahead with kane up top. vardy to come off the bench as an option then. that way you play players in their most familiar positions and systems and you can play the pressing game that spurs did so well this season and that liverpool did well sporadically. but hodgson doesn't really do pressing and doesn't know how to so he'll probably continue to not get the best out of the players he has in the squad.

• Like 1

though if england want to exploit the two strikers they have in form play a diamond with dier at the base of it, milner and wilshere or henderson as the two either side and alli at the top of it with vardy and kane up top. if you play 4-2-3-1 then probably dier and milner in the 2 with lallana, alli and sterling ahead with kane up top. vardy to come off the bench as an option then. that way you play players in their most familiar positions and systems and you can play the pressing game that spurs did so well this season and that liverpool did well sporadically. but hodgson doesn't really do pressing and doesn't know how to so he'll probably continue to not get the best out of the players he has in the squad.

I hear what your saying and agree with the formation just not the personal smile.png

Wilshere and Ali have to play and so does Wazza so that leaves Dier as the holding midfielder on present form.

Then you go with Kane or Vardy or both or play Sterling as a floating winger and let Rooney get forward as much as he can to score goals,the team has got talent but unfortunately Ali,Wilshere,Sterling are not goal scorers at the best of times are they.

Kane and Vardy both play different roles for there clubs mostly Vardy being a breakaway striker that does normally get the early ball down the sides at Leicester and is a runner....Kane is the old fashioned centre forward who leads the line,it remains to be seen if they would play well together as front two? I would like to see Rashford and Sturridge playing with Kane as for me Vardy has had a good season but is not top draw and overrated.

I think i would even like to see us go with the 1 up front and pack the midfield with a five then you have the option of playing Sturridge/Milner and Sterling as wingers to give us width unfortunately we are not blessed with English wingers at the moment and Hodgson knows that ....Townsend is not international class imo.

Lallana and Barkley are both versitile and good players but just don't cut it at this level for me Henderson is just a cart horse.

With Dier playing we have the option to go with a three at the back and let the full backs kick on if we need a goal and then i think we can score goals.

I hear what your saying and agree with the formation just not the personal smile.png

Wilshere and Ali have to play and so does Wazza so that leaves Dier as the holding midfielder on present form.

Then you go with Kane or Vardy or both or play Sterling as a floating winger and let Rooney get forward as much as he can to score goals,the team has got talent but unfortunately Ali,Wilshere,Sterling are not goal scorers at the best of times are they.

Kane and Vardy both play different roles for there clubs mostly Vardy being a breakaway striker that does normally get the early ball down the sides at Leicester and is a runner....Kane is the old fashioned centre forward who leads the line,it remains to be seen if they would play well together as front two? I would like to see Rashford and Sturridge playing with Kane as for me Vardy has had a good season but is not top draw and overrated.

I think i would even like to see us go with the 1 up front and pack the midfield with a five then you have the option of playing Sturridge/Milner and Sterling as wingers to give us width unfortunately we are not blessed with English wingers at the moment and Hodgson knows that ....Townsend is not international class imo.

Lallana and Barkley are both versitile and good players but just don't cut it at this level for me Henderson is just a cart horse.

With Dier playing we have the option to go with a three at the back and let the full backs kick on if we need a goal and then i think we can score goals.

Your team should do ok Reddy especially as it has 12 players in it, thats if your playing with a back 4 and a goalkeeper of course biggrin.png

Edited by alfieconn

Sorry Stevie, you can't play 2 strikers together just because they are both in form.

A. Neither of them have played with a strike partner all season.

B. They are both use to a different style of football, to play to Vardy's strengths England would have to completely change their style of play ( that's if they have one of course).

c. Would leave England too short of numbers in midfield.

Related to the above, a diamond formation leaves them too short of numbers in Midfield, have to have 2 midfield players in front of the back 4 i'm afraid.

So 4-2-3-1 it is then.

Walker / Clyne Smalling Cahill Rose

Dier / Smoking Dwarf ( if fit ) or Milner

Sturridge Ali Sterling / Rooney ( at a push )

H

I think we are all missing the point here because the way Roy sets his side up we'll need twelve players

I wasn't missing the point biggrin.png

Hart

Walker Smalling Cahill Rose

Dier

Ali Rooney Wilshire

Strurridge Kane

Or 2

Hart

Sturridge/Milner Ali Dier Sterling

Wilshere/Rooney

Kane

Or 3

Hart

Stones Smalling Cahill

Milner Ali Dier Wilshere Sterling

Rooney

Kane

Or 4

Hart

Ali Dier Wilshere

Sturridge Kane Sterling

See tongue.png

I think we are all missing the point here because the way Roy sets his side up we'll need twelve players

I wasn't missing the point biggrin.png

Hart

Dier

Ali Rooney Wilshire

Strurridge Kane

Or 2

Hart

Sturridge/Milner Ali Dier Sterling

Wilshere/Rooney

Kane

Or 3

Hart

Stones Smalling Cahill

Milner Ali Dier Wilshere Sterling

Rooney

Kane

Or 4

Hart

Ali Dier Wilshere

Sturridge Kane Sterling

See tongue.png

Judging by them teams, it's looks like Mr red could be Hodgsons right hand man laugh.png

Vardy has been used to receiving a ball over the top or a long through pass that he could run on to..

There was no one who seemed able to provide that when needed, he wasn't sure where to go.

I think leaving Drinkwater behind was a mistake and I'm not convinced we will see much of Vardy.

Sorry Stevie, you can't play 2 strikers together just because they are both in form.

B. They are both use to a different style of football, to play to Vardy's strengths England would have to completely change their style of play ( that's if they have one of course).

Related to the above, a diamond formation leaves them too short of numbers in Midfield, have to have 2 midfield players in front of the back 4 i'm afraid.

So 4-2-3-1 it is then.

H

Alfie, worse selection so far. I know the majority on here don't expect England to fair well, but handicapping us with no goalie is taking it a bit far isn't it.

So 4-2-3-1 it is then.

H

Alfie, worse selection so far. I know the majority on here don't expect England to fair well, but handicapping us with no goalie is taking it a bit far isn't it.

I would have thought that a man of your knowledge would have took it for granted that Forster is in goal rolleyes.gif

Actually, if that's all you've pulled me on then i take it that that's a half decent team sad.png

So 4-2-3-1 it is then.

H

I would have thought that a man of your knowledge would have took it for granted that Forster is in goal rolleyes.gif

Actually, if that's all you've pulled me on then i take it that that's a half decent team sad.png

Not bad at all Alfredo...but no way is that going to be the team... hahahaaaaaa!

So 4-2-3-1 it is then.

H

By the way that is Dier and one of smoking dwarf or milner.

So 4-2-3-1 it is then.

H

I would have thought a pedant would have got it right. Goalkeeper-less team eh. ;-)