THE England thread

rijit

wooloomooloo, on 10 Jun 2016 - 17:55, said:

Okay, I'm going for a prediction and I also believe the tournament is going to go horribly wrong due to Woy's instance to start Rooney .

The problem is the manager as I believe the squad is pretty solid otherwise.

Draw against Russia [bordering on a win for Russia with some Russian luck from set pieces and Woy getting desperate with his constant tinkering].

No one likes a smart arse! Who moi? whistling.gif

Edited by wooloomooloo

Apparently Roy was going to take Harry off but he said "that we wouldn't have anyone to take the corners" biggrin.png

Yeah stupid, Van Persie used to take corners for United and Gerrard for pool.

Sterling, whats he doing there ?

Negative subs.... not looking good

I suppose that game put all the Rooney doubters to shame then he was our best player by far and was outstanding in MIDFIELD.

True that, I can see online there is almost a total agreement that Rooney was magnificent in his role, and it was a tactical disaster to replace him.

Anyhow, haters will be haters, and will find other reasons for hating.

• Like 1

I suppose that game put all the Rooney doubters to shame then he was our best player by far and was outstanding in MIDFIELD.

True that, I can see online there is almost a total agreement that Rooney was magnificent in his role, and it was a tactical disaster to replace him.

To be fair for someone who is over the hill he done ok.

To be fair for someone who is over the hill he done ok.

Is the current set-up going to work against the Welsh and Slovakians, though? Come on, it was the weakest Russian side for years.

I was most impressed with both Wales and Slovakia, so England are going to have to step up at least three gears in the next two games.

Edited by wooloomooloo
  • Like 1

Rooney played well but was tiring, so his substitution was warranted. Sterling failed to impress - he really is a lightweight - and Vardy should have replaced him at half-time because Vardy scores goals - something that Lallana (he's not a natural striker) and Sterling didn't. Why Hodgson can't see that is unbelievable.

All this talk about having a 'balanced' team (that doesn't score) as against an 'unbalanced' team (that stands a much better chance of scoring) is also a misjudgement on Hodgson's part.

Play the attack that the other teams will fear. Not rocket science, is it?

My team: Vardy (left) and Kane (right) up front (Sturridge if fit, to sub one of them at 60 minutes), midfield 4, Rooney Ali and Dier and 1 other, and same back 4, with Walker backing up Kane and Rose backing up Vardy. Rooney and Ali attacking midfield.

• Like 1

Is the current set-up going to work against the Welsh and Slovakians, though? Come on, it was the weakest Russian side for years.

I was most impressed with both Wales and Slovakia, so England are going to have to step up at least three gears in the next two games.

No, the current set-up will not work. Sterling is just not good enough, he's a lightweight. Lallana is not a natural striker, nor a natural midfielder. Neither should play. Either Vardy or Sturridge (if fit) must play. To leave out an in-form 20+ goal striker is a losing tactic. Hodgson should be on the next plane home, if he can't see that.

• Like 2

Why Hodgson can't see that is unbelievable.

Woy never has a Plan B which just doesn't cut it in major tournaments.

England will have their work cut out against Wales and Slovakia.

Wales vs Slovakia wasn't the prettiest game I've ever watched but both teams attacked at every opportunity. Doesn't matter so much about a leaky defence when the philosophy is attack.

Bale had two great chances on the break at the end of the game and I can see him punishing England. Then it is game over, as I can't see England winning a third-place playoff as the motivation will be shot by then, and that's assuming they qualify for a playoff.

post-175321-0-12184900-1465716547_thumb.

Edited by wooloomooloo

Rooney played well but was tiring, so his substitution was warranted. Sterling failed to impress - he really is a lightweight - and Vardy should have replaced him at half-time because Vardy scores goals - something that Lallana (he's not a natural striker) and Sterling didn't. Why Hodgson can't see that is unbelievable.

All this talk about having a 'balanced' team (that doesn't score) as against an 'unbalanced' team (that stands a much better chance of scoring) is also a misjudgement on Hodgson's part.

My team: Vardy (left) and Kane (right) up front (Sturridge if fit, to sub one of them at 60 minutes), midfield 4, Rooney Ali and Dier and 1 other, and same back 4, with Walker backing up Kane and Rose backing up Vardy. Rooney and Ali attacking midfield.

Seems like a strange formation without someone playing centre forward facepalm.gif

Edited by alfieconn

Seems like a strange formation without someone playing centre forward facepalm.gif

Eh? This is 442 shape. 2 strikers, not wingers. Kane working the right centre and Vardy the left centre.

Eh? This is 442 shape. 2 strikers, not wingers. Kane working the right centre and Vardy the left centre.

I'm not sure this is what Woy had in mind, Steve.

Expect something radical like 2-3-4-1 against Wales. Please appreciate Woy is still in the experimental stage and has been for years.

• Like 1