How to reset electricity meter on new rental?

When I moved in to my current rental place, I asked the agent to get the meter numbers for water and electricity, and she gave them to me. However, when I got the first bills, I could see that the meter numbers she gave me were from more than a week before I moved in. Knowing that the extra I was billed was probably less than 1000 baht, I decided to just let it go, and pay the extra.

However, I am going to rent a new condo soon, and I want to avoid paying extra this time. I already know that I will be paying to the goverment, which is the PEA since this is Pattaya.

How do I get the meters' billing dates reset on the day that I move in? (Both water and electricity) Do I contact the PEA myself? Or does the owner have to do it?

I already decided that I won't hand over the deposit and rent until I see the meter numbers with my own eyes this time, but even if I know what the numbers are, I want the first bill to start on the date that I moved in, and not a week or more earlier. I want everything to be done cleanly and safely, so there is no chance of arguments on bills that don't start and end on the dates that I move in and out on.

1) Make move date and pay deposit date very close to each other

2) Accept it. A condo or apartment not being lived in should not be running much at the meter unless someone is using the AC.

When you sign the contract and get the keys (even if 2 weeks early) put an external lock on the door after you shut all off.

If the OP wants the owner to change the billing cycle to conform with the rental dates then he had better make arrangements to have his own meter installed, which of course means getting the owner's permission, buying or renting a meter from the electric company, and of course leaving a deposit with the electric company

I rent out a condo and on the first day of occupancy I show the meter to the renter and copy down the numbers

When the first bill comes in I pro rate the bill based upon the days of the renters usage, but most of the time, since the condo is usually vacant for at least one billing cycle, I just pay it and have the renter pick up the bill from the beginning of the next cycle

I called the PEA, and they confirmed that they cannot change the date of the billing cycle.

They told me that I have to go look at the meter myself on the day that I move in, and then prorate it after the bill comes in. Sounds good to me!

Simple solution (particularly, if the condo owner is an East or SEAsian.

1. Coordinate your (pro-rated) move-in date, for the day after the scheduled monthy meter reading(billing cycle), usually between the 18th-25th. day of each month.

For example, if your (detailed & specific) rental contract begins May 1, then you divide the monthly rental amount by 30. Afterwards multiply the quotient by the number of days remaining to the end of April. That number is your pre-paid, pro-rated amount due, in addition to the monthly rental/deposit amount. This transaction ( the move-in day's meter-reading) should also be stipulated as a addendum (signed by the owner) to the rental contract.

2. Hence, your move-out date should also coincide with the day before the monthly meter reading, as well. Reverse the process, for the monies due (reimbursed) to you, by the owner, at the end of the rental contract period.

Do it that way, then you keep the rental process simple, and headache free, based upon our rental experiences in Asia.

I called the PEA, and they confirmed that they cannot change the date of the billing cycle.

They told me that I have to go look at the meter myself on the day that I move in, and then prorate it after the bill comes in. Sounds good to me!

The common sense approach.

Take the readings on the day you move in and pro-rate it.

Have the Owner or Agent sign the the Meter Readings.

Additionally for proof take a Photo of Meter+News Paper (news paper proves you can't take an earlier reading).

This last bit may be taking things a little far - however, I've learned that being efficacious prevents many unforeseen issues down the line.

If the OP wants the owner to change the billing cycle to conform with the rental dates then he had better make arrangements to have his own meter installed, which of course means getting the owner's permission, buying or renting a meter from the electric company, and of course leaving a deposit with the electric company

I rent out a condo and on the first day of occupancy I show the meter to the renter and copy down the numbers

When the first bill comes in I pro rate the bill based upon the days of the renters usage, but most of the time, since the condo is usually vacant for at least one billing cycle, I just pay it and have the renter pick up the bill from the beginning of the next cycle

You're also a westerner. That single factor alone, eliminates the probability of "complications".

Archived