Thai girl jumps to her death after drinking with British boyfriend in Chiang Mai

Jonathan Fairfield

The balcony "railing" barely comes to his bloody kneessad.png

Why are balcony railings so ulta-low in the LOS??

And even worse - why is life considered so cheap??

Unfortunately the answers are easy in Thailand:

1. Monetary Cost facepalm.gif

2. Sheer Numbers unsure.png

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you read the article properly, she and her boyfriend stayed on the 3rd Floor, she re-entered the building and took the lift to the 7th Floor rooftop, I don't have an issue with low rai,Inge on a roof top, but I do wonder why the access door was not locked

Take your time. Life is considered cheap here because it is . . . Look up at the univers at night. Don't you feel small?

We have to live with our insignificance to truly appreciate our luck.

And here's the apprentice philosophers at work now. Don't know why I still read such rubbish. As if meaning and importance had anything to do with physical size.

Oh another rude ignorant Aussie!

As Cecil Rhodes said ' To be born ENGLISH is to win the lottery of life!

BTW Where did your family hail from.....UK?

Yes, I have heard several Englishmen use that expression. Then they wonder why Aussies enjoy taking the mickey out of them.

On topic, possibly the Thai girl was trying for more permanency in the relationship, and it was rejected by the British boyfriend. The nationality is not relevant - the person may be.

CECIL RHODES, yeah. You know, to really truly believe it already makes it halfway true. Arrogance is a most valuable commodity. I wish the English had kept more of that attitude. When one is a rather small island with a struggling economy, such things become very important. Joke aside, I really truly believe that they learn something at the Public Schools. Wish there were more of them and more people could afford attending them. But then again that might dilute the whole concept...

That's a good observation and you are correct. When it's that low, all's it takes is a drunken stumble and it's all over. I've been here 12 years and I am still shocked at the complete lack of safety and foresight among Thais.

Could someone please post a picture of one of the so called knee high balcony railings. I refuse to believe any builder would do such a thing. The picture provided seems to be from the roof.

Even way out in the colonies, we are smart enough to provide edge protection, of an adequate height, to any rooftop that has a door opening onto it..... For glaring obvious reasons.

Oh another rude ignorant Aussie!

As Cecil Rhodes said ' To be born ENGLISH is to win the lottery of life!

BTW Where did your family hail from.....UK?

Yes, I have heard several Englishmen use that expression. Then they wonder why Aussies enjoy taking the mickey out of them. ( part quote... Thanks Bazza)

Oh goody.... An holier than thou Englisman.

Now, for clarity, are you referring to THE Cecil Rhodes, who made a mining fortunes in the colonies, and in doing so, introduced the model that set up the whole APARTHEID system, by introducing race segregation in the mines that made him rich? A great role model, right there.

This was also the same man that founded Rhodesia, a country that no longer exists, right?

Thankfully for him, a man so proud of the empire he helped established , he died, shortly before that empire was lost forever, by his arrogant successors.

Still... Dispite the atrocities, or because of them, I would warrant that, even till this day, the poor soul would be rolling over and over in his grave, at the shame of seeing such a thing to be proud of, reduced to a tiny weenie little island.

This not the balcony its the roof edge, She jumped from the roof. The post says 7th floor roof.

I wish people would read the OP and notice there is no mention anywhere of the word Balcony. It says she jumped from the 7th floor roof. The roof has a low edge and why not? Its not an area anybody should be in is it? So the question that should be asked is how she was able to access a dangerous area so easily? Surely the hotel should be answering some questions on their safety provisions. The door to the roof may be required to be kept locked unless it leads to a fire escape.

Take your time. Life is considered cheap here because it is . . . Look up at the univers at night. Don't you feel small?

We have to live with our insignificance to truly appreciate our luck.

And here's the apprentice philosophers at work now. Don't know why I still read such rubbish. As if meaning and importance had anything to do with physical size.

We do apologies to all those that cannot get outside their little boxes of rubbishing everything they don't understand. You have our sympathies. Please do not be dismayed at having to squirm your insulting little life away, without our company or our concern. smile.png

That image IS from the roof, I live there.

You know you've been living in Thailand a while when your building is in the news with another jumper. Mine was last month.

One upmanship rules if you live in a jumper building?

This whole thing about people 'flying' off condos just doesn't sit right with me. It doesn't happen with this frequency in the West. Why here? Imho, that's the question that needs to be answered.

Deaths by falling from high buildings seems to be an epidemic in Thailand. A 19 year old woman died in Patong the same way only a few days ago. There is no way these deaths can all be written off as accidents or suicides, <deleted> is going on?

It seems most guys here are constantly moaning about how terrible most of the girls really are. Very rarely is anything ever revealed from the girls perspective. Well they sure dont start off terrible, believe me, theyre just ruined over time, and if you stay here long enough, youll pass girls youve known in the street from time to time and youll think; Jesus, what happened to you! 10 or 15 years in the bar will do that to a girl.

In fact most arrive in the bar quite innocent with absolutely no idea what to expect. But, with all the positive education nicely provided by their older and wiser sisters, along with all the wonderful abuse and false promises provided by some quality farang, the innocence sure doesnt remain for long.

Moral of the story: Next time you have negative thoughts toward a girl, just spare a moment to think just how much negativity shes experienced in her short life so far.

Fact: Ive known beautiful girls spend years, earning fortunes in the go gos, only to see them years later, pot less shadows of their former selves, having to resort to selling sumtam on the streets to survive, having of course been systematically relieved from their hard earned and bled dry by those whom she thought loved and cared for her.

My thoughts go out to this poor young woman, the abuse she must have suffered, and how lonely and used she must have felt right at the end

One of the best disscription or the best I have read about Bar Girls . They are human .

It would be nice if you got your facts straight before you post a story. Her husband is a 67 year old man from Ireland. She was out with a friend most of the night and then she came and called us to have a beer with us (her husband and me). Another friend joined us. She left and went to the roof and jumped without ever giving us a clue she was upset or anything else. She gave us all hugs and we thought she was going to sleep. She jumped off the roof, not a balcony. Our staff were fantastic in how they handled the situation. She lived there with her husband for at least 6 months. He deserves sympathy and compassion as he now is dealing with the mess she left and her family. Also, she was by no means a bar girl. I live there as well.

It would be nice if you got your facts straight before you post a story. Her husband is a 67 year old man from Ireland. She was out with a friend most of the night and then she came and called us to have a beer with us (her husband and me). Another friend joined us. She left and went to the roof and jumped without ever giving us a clue she was upset or anything else. She gave us all hugs and we thought she was going to sleep. She jumped off the roof, not a balcony. Our staff were fantastic in how they handled the situation. She lived there with her husband for at least 6 months. He deserves sympathy and compassion as he now is dealing with the mess she left and her family. Also, she was by no means a bar girl. I live there as well.

Yes, it's a complete shocker, seems completely inexplicable.

What could she have been thinking?

So she has a 67 yr old husband, not a young British BF as the article indicated? Strange. Any kids?

Nice post. Thanks for setting the record straight.

Archived