Freshwater fishing in Phuket

tomato

There are a few

Phuket Fishing Park (Sawai Lake) - expensive and a total mess on the outside. Inside the lake, the fish are getting into good size although not up to size of other commercial fisheries

Bangla Fishing Park - near paklok. Nicer and cheaper but much smaller fish

Kathu Fishing park - similar to Bangla

There maybe other small ones but these are the three I know. Phuket Fishing Park really overpriced themselves a few years ago and did not invest in the place at all, it is a real shame. Fish are not bad stamp, Carp and Sawai catfish on bread to 15kgs, Pacu to 10kgs will be what you will catch on bread. Difficult to get much else. Some redtails on meat possible. They have other fish in the lake, but very difficult to target (Mekongs and Gar to name a few).

There are a few

Phuket Fishing Park (Sawai Lake) - expensive and a total mess on the outside. Inside the lake, the fish are getting into good size although not up to size of other commercial fisheries

Bangla Fishing Park - near paklok. Nicer and cheaper but much smaller fish

Kathu Fishing park - similar to Bangla

There maybe other small ones but these are the three I know. Phuket Fishing Park really overpriced themselves a few years ago and did not invest in the place at all, it is a real shame. Fish are not bad stamp, Carp and Sawai catfish on bread to 15kgs, Pacu to 10kgs will be what you will catch on bread. Difficult to get much else. Some redtails on meat possible. They have other fish in the lake, but very difficult to target (Mekongs and Gar to name a few).

Phuket fishing park is now a dump and derelict, went there recently and was told by a Thai "closed no bait" a few Thais living in a shack seem to be in charge.

Bangla is a nice place but the fish are very small.

Personally I prefer to combine fishing with a break away, Cha am has a great place for 200 bht per day, I have had fish up to and over 50kgs!! if you want fishing like that close to Phuket expect to pay close to 7k per day including guide tip, food and drink!

Phuket Fishing Park is still open I was there 2 weeks ago. But you are right it is a dump. Under the water it is the same if not better than a couple of years ago - fish are of a bigger average size.

Cost is a joke. 1,500 to fish! I used to pay less that half that and it was clean and pleasant around the lake

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Went to Bangla fishing yesterday, lake is rather small and fish is tiny... could catch a couple youngsters close to shore to entertain my 3 y.o. kid, but had no luck with bigger ones (and bigger = 20-25cm, biggest I saw someone else catching there). Paid 540 thb for rod + bait, was not hugely impressed, will try Kathu next time. Any other options around Phuket?

Went to Bangla fishing yesterday, lake is rather small and fish is tiny... could catch a couple youngsters close to shore to entertain my 3 y.o. kid, but had no luck with bigger ones (and bigger = 20-25cm, biggest I saw someone else catching there). Paid 540 thb for rod + bait, was not hugely impressed, will try Kathu next time. Any other options around Phuket?

New Chalong fishing park is near completion!

Nothing to do with me, I've been waiting many years for a decent fishing park to open on Phuket, you can search on Facebook chalongfishingpark, all the information is on the web site.

• 5 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 8:16 AM, Badrabbit said:

Personally I prefer to combine fishing with a break away, Cha am has a great place for 200 bht per day, I have had fish up to and over 50kgs!! if you want fishing like that close to Phuket expect to pay close to 7k per day including guide tip, food and drink!

Where is this park?  Going that way in a few months and would like to give it a go.

• 1 month later...

Archived