hints for a garden bed

Hi all,

Holidays now, so there is time to potter around more.

I need some tips please. I have a raised rustic garden bed by the front side of the house. It's about 1 1/2 metres square and I'm looking for suitable flowers / plants to grow in it.

I'm not interested in vegetables / herbs in this area; just something colourful that would grow about 6 inches high.

It gets a good amount of sun.

I've tried "Google" and even though they're beautiful pictures from the USA, England etc, I'm not sure if those plants are available here [Ayutthaya province].

Thanks.

post-46906-0-36136000-1459243667_thumb.j

Go to a garden centre and ask? I don't have much that only grows 6" high and stops, Some of the succulents might suit you, Google Portulaca and go steal some in a shopping centre like we did.

Thinking a bit more about it, no, 6" high... not much choice really.

Thanks for the ideas, everybody.

CLW.....either would be okay.

I've just finished thinning out the aloe vera down the side, so this is the next project.

We had coleus before, but they were the tall growing type and became rangy and messy.

That's why I'm looking for shorter stuff.

Above suggestions are good, with coleus it's a good idea to pinch the back occasionally....(probably the darkish red leaf type? ) there are shorter growing coleus too, watch out for those... they grow from cuttings very easily, as does portulaca as Cooked suggested...

Perhaps raise up the soil on the right side! wink.png

I just thought about dwarf Lantana, difficult to find and they all died here. Maybe you can make a go of that.

You can easily make cuttings from Lantana

I looked for dwarf Lantana for a year and then they died on me.

I just thought about dwarf Lantana, difficult to find and they all died here. Maybe you can make a go of that.

You can easily make cuttings from Lantana

I looked for dwarf Lantana for a year and then they died on me.

Lantana, don't like "wet feet" at least not for long periods.... so perhaps that's the reason they died?

If successful growing, they certainly are one of the best flowers, for attracting butterflies!

The dwarf Ixora was a good idea, from Dukgae... thumbsup.gif

Archived