Crackdown On 'Coyote Girls'

george

Crackdown on 'Coyote Girls'

post-128-1162221492_thumb.jpg

Thai Coyote dancers

BANGKOK: -- In apparent response to Her Majesty the Queen's concern over a popular racy dance craze by "Coyote Girls", Thailand's Ministry of Culture is issuing a regulation prohibiting female students aged under 20 to become "Coyote Girls" and "Pretty Girls", young women usually featured in provocative clothing hired by merchants to promote their products.

Seeing TV footage of flirtatious dancing during a broadcast from the recent Rocket Festival in the northeastern province of Nong Khai, Her Majesty Queen Sirikit expressed concern through her secretary that "coyote dancing" seemed inappropriate at such an event and would tarnish the image of Thailand as a centre of Buddhism.

The ministry plans both short-term and long-term measures to deal with the matter. Immediately the ministry ordered heads of provincial cultural offices to coordinate local administration and police to strictly monitor and for inappropriate shows not to be allowed in public places, according to Ladda Tangsupachai, director of the ministry's cultural watchdog centre.

Some businesses had hired the young women to dress and dance provocatively at temple entrances and other places during busy festivals, it was explained. an activity and location which the Queen found inappropriate.

Ms. Ladda said that heads of provincial cultural offices must report to the ministry monthly and the ministry will report progress of its implementation to Her Majesty the Queen's secretary.

Meanwhile, Ms. Ladda said, the Ministry of Culture and the Education Ministry will enact a ministerial regulation banning students aged below 20 to work as Coyote Girls or Pretty Girls. The regulation will be effective immediately upon being issued.

As for the long-term solution, the director said, the ministry will hold a national workshop deliberating establishment of a National Cultural Fund to preserve and protect the Thai culture as well as to solve cultural problems in sustainable manner. The scheme will be put on the national agenda, she said.

-- TNA 2006-10-30

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ban on under-20 girl presenters/dancers urged

BANGKOK: -- The Culture Ministry will push for a new ministerial regulation that will ban students under 20 years of age from working as scantily-clad product presenters and dancers at events.

The Culture and Education ministries will soon meet to discuss on the issuance of the regulation.

"The regulation can be issued under the Children Protection Act and it can take immediate effect," Ladda Tangsupachai, who heads the Culture Ministry's cultural monitoring centre, said Monday.

Culture Minister Khunying Khaisri Sriaroon is also set to convene a meeting of relevant authorities, advertisers, advertising agencies and media organisations on November 8 in a bid to find solutions that will end the spread of scantily clad girls at the events.

"Part-time jobs will be made available for students during their school holidays," Ladda said.

She added that the Culture Ministry was going to push this issue into a national agenda as a longterm solution.

The scantily-clad product presenters and dancers became a hot issue after Her Majesty the Queen has issued a command cautioning over television images of female dancers in provocative dresses at a Buddhist charity session during the annual sighting of the Naga fireballs.

The statement of Her Majesty's concern was sent to Khaisri.

-- The Nation 2006-10-30

Ban on under-20 girl presenters/dancers urged

BANGKOK: -- The Culture Ministry will push for a new ministerial regulation that will ban students under 20 years of age from working as scantily-clad product presenters and dancers at events.

The Culture and Education ministries will soon meet to discuss on the issuance of the regulation.

"The regulation can be issued under the Children Protection Act and it can take immediate effect," Ladda Tangsupachai, who heads the Culture Ministry's cultural monitoring centre, said Monday.

Are 19 year olds children? :o

Not much has changed in Thailand..

Still the same old half-arsed way of dealing with things.

I agree with HM the Queen's remarks and actions should be taken.

Everytime however something makes the headlines, the powers that be in Thailand (whichever government that is in place) jump on the bandwagon to get a resolution out first without thinking things through.

So after the 'you are an adult at 18' but you cannot drink alcohol

now we are going to have the

'you are an adult at 18' but you cannot do promotional work anymore.

Why don't we just get over with all of the crap and raise the legal age to 20?

That will clearly say to the young people.. you are not mature enough yet at 18 to drink or dance ... so you are also not mature to make a political decision and vote for us or vote us off.

Will someone please start a crackdown on stupid laws!! As long as these ambiguous rules are still maintained Thailand will never progress.

Start education people. Stop repressing them.

Trust the people to behave and you will instill responsibility.

Treat the people as little kids and you will instill vice.

Edited by sillyfools

What is thai for crack down?

Seems to be a very popular saying.

What about non-students under 20 y-o?

What HM The Queen was saying, as I read it, was no sexy girls on temple gates, which suites me fine.

What on earth is a Cultural Monitoring Centre?

I thought Coyote Girls we at a certain A go-go bar in Soi Marine, Pattaya ? :o

First of all I happen to totally agree with the statement, regarding scantily clad dancers, made by Her Majesty. Coyote girl style dancing in the vicinity of a temple is inappropriate according to the Five precepts of Buddhism. I doubt the comments would have been so public if the dancing had taken place at a sports stadium or other suitable venue

THE FIVE PRECEPTS

All religions have some basic rules that define what is good conduct and what kind of conduct should be avoided. In Buddhism, the most important rules are the Five Precepts. These have been passed down from the Buddha himself.

1. No killing---------- Respect for life ( Ask politicians and police involved in slayings of drug dealers two years ago. Ask personnel involved in Tak bai incident))

2. No stealing--------- Respect for others' property (Ask Thaksin and his cronies)

3. No sexual misconduct-------Respect for our pure nature (Ask any Thai woman and man involved in sex industry)

4. No lying ----------Respect for honesty. (Ask any Thai politician)

5. No intoxicants----------Respect for a clear mind. (Ask any Thai citizen who drinks alcohol)

Western culture is always used as a scapegoat by Thais as having a negative and destructive influence on their culture. Really?

They (the culture vultures) seem to react by immediately blaming the decadent west. How about a little self examination?

Was there killing in Siam before westerners came?

Have land grabs, cheating, scamming the poor, acquiring vast wealth and paying no taxes,only been a recent phenomenon?

Have Thais only recently discovered sex and sexy behaviour? Who mostly uses Thai brothels? Farangs ?

Was there prostitution in Siam before western influence?

When did some Thais learn to lie their heads off? Did they import corruption from America or Europe? I don't think so.

Has alcohol use only been allowed since the first western tourists arrived? Ask any rice farmer.

Moderation in all things would be a good start here instead of overreaction to every problem.

Think things out before planning an event and think twice before banning something.

Certainly the intent of the comments made by H.M. The Queen was totally appropriate but the people in the administation need to think wisely before passing ineffective laws. :o

THE FIVE PRECEPTS

1. No killing---------- Respect for life ( Ask politicians and police involved in slayings of drug dealers two years ago. Ask personnel involved in Tak bai incident))

2. No stealing--------- Respect for others' property (Ask Thaksin and his cronies)

3. No sexual misconduct-------Respect for our pure nature (Ask any Thai woman and man involved in sex industry)

4. No lying ----------Respect for honesty. (Ask any Thai politician)

5. No intoxicants----------Respect for a clear mind. (Ask any Thai citizen who drinks alcohol)

1 Looking at taxi driver every morning I got such and urge, so I have to change two or three of them before cutting their ears off

2 Overpriced product - is stealing. Services that cost nothing but charged too high is stealing

3 He he

4 1000 % garranantee its real( true, natural, not dangerous ets)

5 food stalls, Kitchen of the World

I think it's not THAT country, per se

Several persons in this thread have inquired as to whether under 20yo's are children. In fact, they are. By Thai law, one does not reach the age of majority until 20, until which point every decision they make (including dating) is theoretically subject to parental approval.

"Steven"

I would like to help out here and offer my services in retraining these poor girls into a more fruitful line of work

Pretty soon they will be without work or bahts to support them so please anyone knowing any of these girls should PM me asap and i will try to get them into a better career

Well, I don't have a problem with a ban on "lude" dancing at religeous festivals. As for being an adult at 18,20 or whatever, well being from the UK I consider it 16, in the US they consider it 21, Thailand seems to consider it 20. Many countries have different opinions, is it fair to bash Thailand for having a younger age than the US?

I think the big concern here seems to be the rising power of the conservative Thais imposing more and more restrictions. It was happening under Thaksin and it seems like little chance of relenting under the new regime. One of the big appeals for me when I first came to Thailand was the tolerance and freedom to do what you wanted as long as you weren't directly affecting other people. Unfortunately that seemed to have ended a long time ago, and the fall of Thaksin doesn't appear to be making any difference, infact, it may well have accelerated.

I am neutral on this issue and will leave it up to the Thai people to decide what they want...but...it seems to me that I heard that in times gone by there used to be young women dancing with bare breasts as a regular thing at temple festivals.....am I mistaken or has anyone else heard of this?

Chownah

I am neutral on this issue and will leave it up to the Thai people to decide what they want...but...it seems to me that I heard that in times gone by there used to be young women dancing with bare breasts as a regular thing at temple festivals.....am I mistaken or has anyone else heard of this?

Chownah

Yes, ironically toplessness only became "immoral" after western influence.

Edited by konangrit

Several persons in this thread have inquired as to whether under 20yo's are children. In fact, they are. By Thai law, one does not reach the age of majority until 20, until which point every decision they make (including dating) is theoretically subject to parental approval.

"Steven"

:o What are you talking about? Even the age of consent in Thailand is only 15. This includes Male/Female sex, M/M sex, and F/F sex.

The last couple of wat festivals I've been to have had these girls. They'd do the bump and grind or dry hump a pole trying to entice the men to part with 10 baht for a dance or whatever. I don't say that there might not be appropriate venues for these activities, but the wat festival is not it. Incidences of rape and gang rape at these fairs has climbed sharply. There is very little oversight save for the local puyai. It really is a very inappropriate activity given the location and occasion.

"Steven"

:o What are you talking about? Even the age of consent in Thailand is only 15. This includes Male/Female sex, M/M sex, and F/F sex.

This is technically true, but there is an "age of majority" legally which is 20, until which time the parents must also approve of anything that happens to their children for it to be legal (technically).

"Steven"

was the tolerance and freedom to do what you wanted as long as you weren't directly affecting other people.

dont you understand that the actions of these dancers do seem to be directly affecting a lot of people. they dont like it.

behaving decorously offends nobody , nor does it take away your right to behave lewdly .... other than in public.

and whatever may have gone on in or around temples in the past , these days temples should be associated with decorous , respectful and polite behaviour.

there does seem to be a breakdown these days across all levels of society here ,even the monkhood , within the past year an abbot was caught speeding whilst driving back drunk to his temple after visiting his female lover , a novice monk was forced to spend the night in a full septic tank as some kind of punishment and drowned and there have been monk on monk murders in temples (all mentioned in a bangkok post editorial last week).

buddhism is supposed to be a guiding light to the people here , and provocative dancing etc. in and around temples is hardly fitting for that purpose.

there are times and places for most forms of human behaviour , and i think however liberal ones outlook is , temples should be reserved for the more serious pursuits ,

lewd behaviour is fine in thailand so long as it is done behind closed doors , thats how its done here , discreetly , not in your face like the west.

and the more that it happens in public and on tv , then the more the authorities will feel the need to supress it.

and it would be better if society could regulate itself , rather than wait for the authorities to impose draconian regulations that would curtail peoples freedoms and enjoyment even more.

Edited by taxexile

SO OK TO ACCEPT PARENTAL PIMPING OR EVEN WORSE OUTRIGHT SELLING THEIR OWN & 'ACQUIRED' HOMELESS CHILDREN, THAT'S PARENTAL APPROVAL ='s OK

With due respect, it does seems the job crackdown inspector gets more interesting every day, but let’s face reality this could be another nail in the tourist trade. – “no tit for TAT”, means too many people will think why bother with Thailand - just spend your money elsewhere! The Prude Test - coincidental link

Chownah

Below is an image of an 800 year old Khmer "Apsara" Coyote girl from Ankor period. As you will observe she is scantily and provocatively dressed, a tradition which no doubt pleased the Khmer men. :o

was the tolerance and freedom to do what you wanted as long as you weren't directly affecting other people.

there does seem to be a breakdown these days across all levels of society here ,even the monkhood , within the past year an abbot was caught speeding whilst driving back drunk to his temple after visiting his female lover , a novice monk was forced to spend the night in a full septic tank as some kind of punishment and drowned and there have been monk on monk murders in temples (all mentioned in a bangkok post editorial last week).

You forgot the monk caught on camera with a dog and underage girl not so long ago...... :o

I agree with what you say about a time and a place, by the way.

"Steven"

This is technically true, but there is an "age of majority" legally which is 20, until which time the parents must also approve of anything that happens to their children for it to be legal (technically).

"Steven"

According to CIA factbook, the age limit for voting for example is 18 and not 20 years.

"Steven"

"Steven"

According to CIA factbook, the age limit for voting for example is 18 and not 20 years.

As it is in the US, so why can't you drink in a bar under 21?

Chownah

Below is an image of an 800 year old Khmer "Apsara" Coyote girl from Ankor period. As you will observe she is scantily and provocatively dressed, a tradition which no doubt pleased the Khmer men. :o

Yes, the bad influence from the West is the hypocrasy of the politically correct imported from the USA