Stay out of the sea warn Koh Samui authorities

webfact

Stay out of the sea warn Koh Samui authorities
Thaivisa Reporters

kohs.jpg
Image: Khaosod.co.th

KOH SAMUI:-- Amid reports of another drowning death, big waves in Samui prompted safety officials to visit Chaweng Beach to warn tourists and locals alike of the dangers, reports Thaivisa News.

As a video clip aired on Facebook showing tourists and locals themselves helping a Burmese man who had got in trouble, authorities went to the popular beach to remind people they should not swim at this time as waves reached 2-3 metres in height.

One jetski operator said that he had rescued several tourists at different locations and said that one later died in hospital.

Despite the fact that red flags and warning signs were in evidence, safety officer Teerawat Maitrisawat said: "parents should be especially vigilant in the holidays. With waves like this it is better not to enter the sea at all. If you do children should not be allowed to go alone."

He added that it was particularly hard to mount rescue operations with the sea in this condition.

A British tourist called Ryan chipped in: "this is my fourth time here and I have seen what the sea can do. It is better to use a swimming pool when it is like this."

Meanwhile public spirited jetski operator Petch said that yesterday he had rescued a total of six different people in three separate incidents and one had later died.

"I always warn people when conditions are like this," he said. "Some don't understand and have a go at me as though I am forbidding them. I explain that the waves will get them so they must be very careful."

Facebook user Suthathip Bewcamwan responsible for the clip posted on her page: "I don't know how many cases there has been today. I think this was a Burmese guy who got in trouble."

tvn.png
-- 2016-03-31

"Always hard conditions in Dec-Jan" which is of course high season for western tourists. Hard call for an area that markets itself on beach holidays!

"Come to Thailand for the beautiful beaches but don't go into the water" isn't a particularly attractive tag line.

Is there any common sense left when it comes to swimming, and wave watching?

It seems normalcy bias takes over most of the time.

I wonder how many parents caution children in tidal currents and how to escape them while swimming. Also, the dangers of jelly fish and sharp objects in the sand. They should also have their children take a Red Cross course in Community First Aid.

Personally I find it rather puzzling that a person can be delivered still alive to a hospital, after suffering such an event, and then die in the hospital ! Aren,t hospitals supposed to be able to revive the near dead, and sometimes even the dead ?

Only in the place you come from which must be La-La land !

Personally I find it rather puzzling that a person can be delivered still alive to a hospital, after suffering such an event, and then die in the hospital ! Aren,t hospitals supposed to be able to revive the near dead, and sometimes even the dead ?

I'm not even sure how to address your stupid remark!! I'm really puzzled that you think hospitals perform miracles befitting beatification!

If someone drowns they cease to breath, without oxygen entering the bloodstream the body starts to shut down, the longer the body is without oxygen the greater the damage. Brain damage, internal organ failure, etc.

Medical professionals might be able to keep a body going, in a comatose state, but once the point of no return has been crossed there is no hope. Too far past that state of no return and the body will shut down regardless of hope much medical attention is rendered.

In first aid we're taught about the "golden hour" which is the critical time period, but if a person has stopped breathing every second that resuscitation isn't rendered is a countdown to death.

Book yourself on a first aid course to avoid making yourself look stupid in future!

The video is a couple of months old.

Always hard conditions in Dec-Jan.

For current situation watch live web cam.

http://www.samuiwebcam.com/crystal_bay_koh_samui.html

Just checked out the live cam. Looks great for a swim now. thumbsup.gif

So the article is based on swimming conditions two months ago ... blink.png

Are Koh Samui authorities still warning tourists to stay out of the water now the seas are calm ?

Seems like very old news , why publish today ...

'Meanwhile public spirited jetski operator Petch said that yesterday he had rescued a total of six different people in three separate incidents and one had later died.'

Was that yesterday ... Or a few months ago ??

It does seem strange, for sure, the waters on the north end of the island are pretty calm these days.... Can't speak for other areas...except from the Samui Webcam.

Ban Tai Beach

Ban%2BPor%2Bbeach%2Bsunset%2BMarch%2B25-

Ban Por ... a few days ago...

Ban%2BTai%2Bbeach%2BMarch%2B23-80.jpg

Can't see any big waves rolleyes.gif

Perhaps there was an isolated storm Chaweng Beach ? although Bophut area was also calm and sunny biggrin.png

It does seem strange, for sure, the waters on the north end of the island are pretty calm these days.... Can't speak for other areas...except from the Samui Webcam.

Ban Tai Beach

Can't see any big waves rolleyes.gif

Perhaps there was an isolated storm Chaweng Beach ? although Bophut area was also calm and sunny biggrin.png

I think there are big waves, somewhre out there, but often one hardly see them in the northern bays like Maenam and Bo Phut – not unlikely to see a calm Maenam Beach and fairly big waves on Chaweng Beach. Also when taking a speed boat trip you only feel the waves, when a bit out – for example in the open water between Samui and Phangan – even it seems like a prefect day to cruise.

My friend at Lomlahk said that there were uncomfortably big waves today, and they also expect that tomorrow...

Ban Tai Beach

Ban%2BPor%2Bbeach%2Bsunset%2BMarch%2B25-

Ban%2BTai%2Bbeach%2BMarch%2B23-80.jpg

Koh Phangan last sunset

46e728b3bf75b31b7e9f1f413103aec4.jpg

But my wife has mentioned the waves being strong some days lately, last time just a couple of days ago. She sent me some pictures a month ago or something, which is a little while ago, I couldn't find those pictures but I could clearly see the waves being strong. She's kinda careless about most things. She's not the kind of a person who would bring that into a topic unless it's something "unusual" or something most people would have taken notice of before her (for the lack of a better explaination).

Thanks for the link, thumbsup.gif I made it a favorite of my browser, since only a few hundred meters from my home smile.png

Why this morning I am looking at it, it seems more like a picture than a living webcam? Nothing moves at all after 5 minutes!sad.png

Thanks for the link, thumbsup.gif I made it a favorite of my browser, since only a few hundred meters from my home smile.png

Why this morning I am looking at it, it seems more like a picture than a living webcam? Nothing moves at all after 5 minutes!sad.png

It's moving pics for me, nice and calm and a few people enjoying the beach and water calm already! thumbsup.gif

Perhaps refresh your link?

It's moving pics for me, nice and calm and a few people enjoying the beach and water calm already! thumbsup.gif

As a stuborn geek crazy.gif I did smelled somthing fishy on MY SIDE, for I guess normally webcam ARE moving so I changed browser, from Safari too Google Chrome...worked like a charmsmile.png

Came back to Safari impossible? (MacBook pro) Another kind of security obssesion from Apple? I will try to find out why but not sure.

Before I stayed with Google Chrome for years, but since OS El Capitan, due to a bug,Google Chrome is incapable to do the check spelling anymore, it is comfirmed on several Apple friendly sites

...and since I'm not an English native speaker I thought if not doing it I will be banned from ThaiVisa for improper overtaking of spelling mistakesbiggrin.png

As a stuborn geek crazy.gif I did smelled somthing fishy on MY SIDE, for I guess normally webcam ARE moving so I changed browser, from Safari too Google Chrome...worked like a charmsmile.png

Came back to Safari impossible? (MacBook pro) Another kind of security obssesion from Apple? I will try to find out why but not sure.

Before I stayed with Google Chrome for years, but since OS El Capitan, due to a bug,Google Chrome is incapable to do the check spelling anymore, it is comfirmed on several Apple friendly sites

...and since I'm not an English native speaker I thought if not doing it I will be banned from ThaiVisa for improper overtaking of spelling mistakesbiggrin.png

Another technological coup for Apple Safari or Apple OS? Can instantly turn any video into a breathtaking static desktop wallpaper????

I'll just say this, so we don't get too far off topic...whistling.gif ....I'll have the Mods after me ... tongue.png

I did actually PM Tchooptip... regarding Mac issues...

I like my two Macs, but I don't like Apple software, using third party programs are much better IMO! But all a discussion for a topic in the Computer section!

I can't remember when I last used an Apple program, like Safari or Iphoto etc... wink.png

Now back to calms seas.... before we create a big wave! laugh.png

Archived