Star Dust

Here's let's break it down slowly...

Windows 10 users
Can open the Windows Start menu
And type "bash" [enter]
Which opens a cmd.exe console
Running Ubuntu's /bin/bash
With full access to all of Ubuntu user space
Yes, that means apt, ssh, rsync, find, grep, awk, sed, sort, xargs, md5sum, gpg, curl, wget, apache, mysql, python, perl, ruby, php, gcc, tar, vim, emacs, diff, patch...
And most of the tens of thousands binary packages available in the Ubuntu archives!

"Right, so just Ubuntu running in a virtual machine?" Nope! This isn't a virtual machine at all. There's no Linux kernel booting in a VM under a hypervisor. It's just the Ubuntu user space.

can't wait ;-)

post-174433-0-39846300-1459408111_thumb.

Anyone progressing with this? I am signed up to the windows insider program, got the latest win 10 preview build (14296) following instructions here:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3038430/windows/how-to-join-the-windows-10-insider-preview-program.html.

Tried to follow suggestions here re. getting bash with an older win10 preview***, but no-go:

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/DevelopersCanRunBashShellAndUsermodeUbuntuLinuxBinariesOnWindows10.asx

***[Running some older win10 preview version on a 32Gb ssd, connected via SATA/usb3 lead to a usb3 port of the laptop.

I will have to create a bootable usb version of 14296 (using rufus or win-to-usb) on another usb, then wipe the 32Gb ssd]

Happy tinkering, AA

As the old saying goes "nothing wrong with windows that linux cannot fix".

I have not used Windows for many years. (OS X either) so I'm curious as to why this is a big thing. There have always been command line tools for Windows like Cygwin.

Personally, I think Linux has been a good enough environment for most everybody for a number of years now. With the exception of gaming.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice.. anyway they didn't have much choice to remain competitive in front of MacOS / Linux,

so now "Microsoft Loves LINUX" !

e7221d198cbef59ba82aaae5e82cf.jpg

They have around a 90% share of the desktop market, not sure why you think they "didn't have much choice to remain competitive"?

Nice.. anyway they didn't have much choice to remain competitive in front of MacOS / Linux,

They have around a 90% share of the desktop market, not sure why you think they "didn't have much choice to remain competitive"?

This tools is not intended to be used by lambda users but by developpers, computers workers, who in majority prefers to use linux everyday for they work, but also have to use windows sometimes, so this action is to recover some users that went far away from microsoft or are going to do it soon, not the usual computer end user.

• 2 weeks later...

This tools is not intended to be used by lambda users but by developpers, computers workers, who in majority prefers to use linux everyday for they work, but also have to use windows sometimes, so this action is to recover some users that went far away from microsoft or are going to do it soon, not the usual computer end user.

OK, I must be missing something then. When I developed applications for Windows platforms, I naturally did it in a Windows environment. I guess it's good for cross-platform app developers or those targeting Linux though. Or maybe development environments/tools have changed considerably since I was involved in IT. It's been a while, I must admit.

• 1 month later...

Time for some terminal jokes... Open your console and type

man woman
make love
ar m god
 echo '[q]sa[ln0=aln256%Pln256/snlbx]sb3135071790101768542287578439snlbxq' | dc

Microsoft maybe have 90% share in the desktop market, but the desktop market is shrinking at a incredible rate. In some countries the amount of desktop computers is 50% less than a few years before, while Linux is now the dominant operating system for new devices.

According to some rumors, Microsoft is trying to integrate some features of Linux in its Windows operating system to get back into the small business home server market. For which Microsoft not really has a product for while several Linux distributions have Server versions available that can be used with small amount of resources. As example MS Windows Server 2012 needs more than 16GB internal memory, while Fedora 24 Server or Ubuntu 16.04 Server work pretty good with just 2GB internal memory.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/8/2016 at 4:46 PM, Rob13 said:

I doubt it.

Tell me? How many Android devices phones, tablets, and multimedia devices like TV boxes and satellite receivers are sold daily? Plus you can add that now-a-day most router/xDSL/model/WIFI/combo manufacturers have stopped the development of a own OS and just use Linux as a basis for the specific software... How many car manufacturers use Linux as a base for the operational system, if you have Mercedes Benz I can tell you for sure you run Linux...

Even if you run some cloud functions in Microsoft Windows 10 you actually connect to a Linux server...

Probably I forget some Samsung refrigerators and other home appliances that run Linux... Yes your new washing machine probably run Linux, as it's now-a-day cheaper to have a small ARM processor based computer in you washing machine than having a classic clock timer based program mechanism ...

On 13/08/2016 at 7:46 PM, Rob13 said:

Not happening. Linux is a very minority share of the market, albeit growing.

88.5% of tablets/smartphones, etc. run a variant of Unix/Linux.

67% of web servers run the same.

Ditto 100% of mainframes.

Ditto 100% of supercomputers.

A minority share of the market? Methinks not.

I know that since the mid 90s Linux has had the majority share of my desktops. I had been toying with early Linux around 1993-4 with a friend who was a UNIX guy. With a bunch of floppy discs we got Slackware running and when Netscape came out for Linux we were in heaven. Once Linux became functional to my needs I switched.I have had 2 Apple computers in 2004 and again in 2009 .. and they are excellent ..yet way over priced.

It all depends on ones needs, but the vast majority of computer users could switch to Linux and save lots of money and aggravation. Oh wait.... Microsoft and Apple keep moving the goal posts of proprietary software to keep you locked in.

I see very little point in integrating Windows with Linux.

• 2 months later...
On 18/08/2016 at 1:23 PM, Oxx said:

88.5% of tablets/smartphones, etc. run a variant of Unix/Linux.

67% of web servers run the same.

Ditto 100% of mainframes.

Ditto 100% of supercomputers.

A minority share of the market? Methinks not.

Depends a bit on the angle you look at it. If only desktop market, it is certainly not a majority, even if you count the Macs into the equation. On total devices run, yes, different story. 

• 2 months later...

Most MS Windows fans will indeed tell you that Linux has a very low desktop base market impact, this is true and not.

For instance the the development of Linux is moving faster than any other operating system, this is because the linux kernel you use in your mobile ‘Android’ phone, WIFI-Router, Satellite receiver, DVD/Bluray player, Microwave oven, Fridge, Dishwasher or washing machine are all the same.

Some people take advantage of this and modify a standard Internet-Router and use them as NAS, Mediacenter or even as bittorrent download client… Functions the manufacturer never intended for the router, but as the software is available for Linux it is not difficult to make it run on anything that uses the Linux kernel.

Why is Microsoft so investing in Linux? The answer is very simple, with Windows for phones failing and desktop PC sales numbers dropping every year with impressive double digits… Microsoft needs to get on the bandwagon of the biggest growth market, which is Linux, or more specific Android… Microsoft tried it with a huge investment in Cyanogen OS, which was for a short while one of the most promising alternatives to ‘Google’s’ Android. But Cyanogen OS is closing it doors and most manufacturers well roll back to using vanilla Android from Google…

Microsoft was in 2015 and 2016 in the top 3 development contributors for the Linux operating system. They made during the same time the biggest contribution of projects to the open-source community, with making .net open-source and several other around 195 projects and counting… https://opensource.microsoft.com

Another change in Linux is that with Wine 2.0 (MS Windows conversion shell) you can run much more MS Windows programs without the need for a MS Windows license. I even see somebody install MS Office (full Windows x86 desktop version) on a Android table and work with it smoothly…

Microsoft is currently at the same position as Digital Research (CPM OS) in the early 1980’s, Digital Research was once market leader of computer operating systems, but failed to adapt to a fast growing market trend… For instance if Digital Research had spend less effort competing with MS/PC-DOS and sell the enhancements they had in DR-Dos as separate utilities for MS/PC-Dos they would probably still be around today…

For instance everybody who ever used MS-Dos remembers the himem utilities, with this you could load some software above the 640kb range and free-up the base memory. This idea was first developed by Digital Research and included in DR-Dos. The ability of loading software into hi-memory was first introduced to MS/PC-Dos by independent 3th party software developers, but if we look back.. the way Digital Research did it was the most efficient and fastest, pity it only worked with DR-Dos.

So maybe Microsoft doesn’t ‘yet’ has a specific reason to be with Linux… One thing they know for a fact is never bet against a fast growing market and miss the train….

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived