Tsunami towers at popular Phuket beaches fail to sound

webfact

Tsunami towers at popular Phuket beaches fail to sound
Phuket Gazette

tz.jpeg
The tsunami warning tower on Patong Beach was not one of the five that failed to work properly during the drill. Photo: Gazette file

PHUKET: -- Five of the 19 tsunami warning towers in Phuket failed to work properly during the tsunami and earthquake drill yesterday afternoon.

“The warning towers in Kata and Karon failed to sound, while the one in Mai Khao couldn’t be heard from 500 meters away,” said Trakul Thotham, director of the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation (DDPM) Region 8 Office.

The towers were set to play the Thai National Anthem instead of the tsunami warning to prevent confusion and panic.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Tsunami-towers-popular-Phuket-beaches-fail-sound/63570?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-03-31

Five of the 19 tsunami warning towers in Phuket failed to work properly

New Law (i can do that) Teach all the school kids to whistle, for the next

tsunami warning, '' listen for the whistle '' if you lose your hearing due to

very bad dose of hay fever, like me, we will die.

Cynical would be finding out after a tsunami that they didn't work, and hadn't been tested in years.

So again, they get one JWD pat on the back, hopefully encouraged to follow through with repairs, and even better, test on a regular, routine basis. That may even be the case already, dunno, don't live on Phuket.

This is typical "thainess". Instead of ensuring all equipment are functioning properly and everyone benefits from the exercise, they use the exercise to to find "faults".

ummm... I thought THAT was the purpose of testing the system

If you want to be proactive, and to not look like a dill, you arrange a quick test before the official exercise.

I recall a story here on TV several years ago about how the thick copper grounding cables for these towers had been stolen by scavengers.

Probably the same story - and nobody thought to check or test until now.

Cynical would be finding out after a tsunami that they didn't work, and hadn't been tested in years.

So again, they get one JWD pat on the back, hopefully encouraged to follow through with repairs, and even better, test on a regular, routine basis. That may even be the case already, dunno, don't live on Phuket.

A few years back they said they were "tested" every week, no one has ever heard them tested. Ever tsunami exercise they hold, these towers don't all function.

This is typical "thainess". Instead of ensuring all equipment are functioning properly and everyone benefits from the exercise, they use the exercise to to find "faults".

ummm... I thought THAT was the purpose of testing the system

The idea of the "test" is to test the response of the emergency teams, the evac system needs to function ALL the time, so needs regular testing and maintenance.

A few years back they said they were "tested" every week, no one has ever heard them tested. Ever tsunami exercise they hold, these towers don't all function.

I was afraid that could be the case. Thanks. <sound of shattering, momentary hopefulness>.

Archived