Two railway workers injured when a freight train collided with a trailer truck

webfact

Two railway workers injured when a freight train collided with a trailer truck

401_a-freight-train-collided-wpcf_728x41

KORAT: -- Two railway workers were injured when their freight train rammed into a trailer truck at a railway crossing in Nakhon Ratchasima’s Muang district Thursday afternoon.

The two injured were identified as Mr Sunart Piewthong-ngam, 46, the train driver, and Mr Prawit Sutthikul, 36, the mechanic.

Initial police report put the blame on the trailer truck driver , Mr Daeng Pimasarn, 50, for trying the jump the freight train as the train was approaching the railway crossing in Ban Saraphi, Tambon Maroeng, despite the fact that there were stop signs at both sides of the crossing.

The freight train from Ubon Ratchathani was towing 14 cars carrying bunker oil.

But Mr Daeng who was driving the trailer truck loaded with a crane on his way back to Bangkok claimed that he didn’t see the stop signs and drove the truck across the crossing.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/157745

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-04-01

Quote - But Mr Daeng who was driving the trailer truck loaded with a crane on his way back to Bangkok claimed that he didn’t see the stop signs and drove the truck across the crossing. - Un quote

​Well, if he says so, it must be right. If you dont see them you cant obey them, can you?

what a load of crap, everyday I see thai drivers go straight through stop signs, there is one right next to a police box/office near us and the thais simply dont stop but go through and give way to no one while the police sit inside and watch. Anyone that has driven here long enough know that many drivers/riders refuse to stop for any reason and will simply keep going(just look at them at red lights). The only reason not to see a stop sign is because you dont look and dont care, for some reason these people need to be first before everyone else even when they are in the wrong, hope they throw the book at him. Way past time the police started to enforce the road rules here, many lives would be saved if they did but that would require the police to leave their air conditioned offices and actually do something.

Last year I stopped at the stop sign of an automatic rail crossing to check the rail approaches as I always do although the barriers were UP. I saw, approaching from the right, a workman's motorised bogie. There were three men on the bogie the one controlling was wearing a green crash helmet and sitting in the only seat.. The 'controller' saw me waiting and nodded his head in acknowledgement and continued his approach. Suddenly I was aware that a white SUV behind me had pulled around me and was driving over the crossing. The bogie unable to stop hit the front right wheel arch of the SUV slewing it diagonally then the bogie spun around and derailed throwing the men off.

At this point I was setting my car in PARK and switching on the hazard flashers. The SUV driver (Thai) jumped out of his car ignored the bogie and ran to me screaming in broken English "You have big trouble" I got out and shoved him out of the way and crossed to check the rail workers. The controller was shaken up but unhurt but both the other men had bruises and arm injuries.

Just as the SUV driver came up behind me the driver of a pickup in the opposite lane came over wearing the uniform of a police Captain. He had witnessed the event, spoke to me in good English and took control of the scene. He used a hand radio to contact someone and then his 'phone telling me that he had warned the railway authorities. He asked me and the SUV driver to help the railmen onto the shoulder awaiting an ambulance then photographed the accident from different angles after which we backed off our cars are parked them. The bogie was obstructing the rail but with the help of gathering spectators and we were able to slew it clear enabling through traffic to resume crossing. The policeman then steered me to his pickup and ran his dashcam footage clearly showing the SUV at fault. He gave me a big smile, a thumbs-up and asked for my contact details thanked me then told me to be on my way.

Never heard anymore.

Archived