where to go in isaan, whats on ? concerts , parties etc ?

dirtycash

i used to live near KK in small village and every other week there were parties and concerts, parades through the towns which i liked . i arrive on 7 - 21 april so want to take a drive up maybe and see whats on ( bored of pattaya ) so where is best part to go, things to see in april.

i will maybe head to buriram,surin,mukdahan or ubon then KK and udon then back down to bkk to drop car off.

btw when does songkran start in isaan ?

Anywhere you find yourself in Issan during songkran will be a good place to be,if you are not afraid of fun.

Even the small villages go all out for the celebration...with very few, if any, rude white guys to mess up the fun!

It officially starts on the 12th, but the kids with the water will probably start warming up on the 10th!

In other words lock yourself in for a week like most of us do.

Now, how do you know who is out and about having fun when you are hiding behind your locked door?

Remember, only poop and sugar melt in the water.

Fun?

Idiots trying to knock you off your motorbike. Throwing missiles at cars?

Idiots soaking you while you try to go to work or go shopping or go out for dinner?

Can't see any fun there.

Stay home for a week and keep away from the morons.

Local or village celebrations are a major feature in rural Isaan. And of course, Songkhran is party hearty time- like the rest of Thailand. But nicer.

In the bigger, Provincial towns, there is usually a Tawangdaeng or Country Club or equivalent too- check them out, although not really my scene.

Recommend you avoid the karaoke's though- overpriced, and shiite. Get on with the locals (TG in hand) they will tell you what is going on. Be nice- and you will be treated accordingly.

In other words lock yourself in for a week like most of us do.

only 1 week? that crap goes on for 2 weeks in pattaya.... a different area every day. i got bored real quick with ice cubes and drain water in my face when driving from a dry area n then into a warzone round the next corner.

Fun?

Idiots soaking you while you try to go to work or go shopping or go out for dinner?

Can't see any fun there.

So , so true the place is full of stupid people when songkran is on in issan all over thailand and member willyumiii for gets how many people get kill on the road in songkran so how do you get fun out of people who die I think not .

Fun?

Can't see any fun there.

Wear a full faced helmet on a bike and what's the issue in a car?

I get a lot of fun out of managing to get where I am going without getting soaked--most times I can get through pretty unscathed, but not totally dry. Eventually, I am soaked, so what, it's hot and I find a good bar to watch the revelry and partake in the fun--I'm glad at 71, I haven't yet learned to be an old man.

Edited part: Sorry, forgot to respond with your comment about going to work--duh, take a water proof bag with some dry clothes. And, going to dinner, well restaurants will let you in wet; they know it is Songkran--and use that waterproof bag for a dry shirt.

Fun?

Can't see any fun there.

I get a lot of fun out of managing to get where I am going without getting soaked--most times I can get through pretty unscathed, but not totally dry. Eventually, I am soaked, so what, it's hot and I find a good bar to watch the revelry and partake in the fun--I'm glad at 71, I haven't yet learned to be an old man.

Edited part: Sorry, forgot to respond with your comment about going to work--duh, take a water proof bag with some dry clothes. And, going to dinner, well restaurants will let you in wet; they know it is Songkran--and use that waterproof bag for a dry shirt.

And don't forget to wear a whole body condom.....

Fun?

Can't see any fun there.

And don't forget to wear a whole body condom.....

The bars in which I stay have tap water, and since I'm already wet, a nice shower rids me of the powder and dirty water.

Yeah, great fun, get all wet on the way to dinner,

all roads and back roads get ambushed, pleaded

with a young girl not to wet me and let me pass,,

all smiles and ok, as i walked past on the other side

of the road she ran up behind me and emptied a

bucket of water down my back, oh what fun.

In most of Isaan the festival days are 13, 14, and 15. Seems some water fighting will start the 12th. This year the 15th is Friday, so I wouldn't be surprised if some celebration goes through to Sunday. Definitely try to do your long trips before the 12th, and on the way back to Bangkok either the 16th or 18th. As much as there will be accident and death reports posted everyday of the festival, if you look at the over all death statistics in Thailand, in reality there are less deaths during the festival than the rest of the year. I think this is for two reasons, other than the two get away and get back days, most people are in their villages and don't use their cars, and during the festival there is more actual enforcement of the laws. I find that in the villages people are pretty respectful and if you express you really don't want to get wet, they will respect your wishes and just poor a little water on your hands and offer you a drink. But what the heck, I'm 65 don't work and take part in the fun, its a little water cools you off. Every Songkran our village has a street dance where everybody walks through the street usually dancing and drinking and eventually end up at the Watt where a money tree is presented. It is great fun. If you don't enjoy getting wet, stay indoors for the duration, but if you partake, it is a lot of fun. Just be respectful, if you see someone doesn't want to get wet, respect their wishes.

Strange how so many people who choose to live here don't enjoy the Thai traditions. Same people probably complain about Muslims wanting to change traditions in their native countries.

You think that is a Thai tradition?

Do some research.thumbsup.gif

In most of Isaan the festival days are 13, 14, and 15. Seems some water fighting will start the 12th. This year the 15th is Friday, so I wouldn't be surprised if some celebration goes through to Sunday. Definitely try to do your long trips before the 12th, and on the way back to Bangkok either the 16th or 18th. As much as there will be accident and death reports posted everyday of the festival, if you look at the over all death statistics in Thailand, in reality there are less deaths during the festival than the rest of the year. I think this is for two reasons, other than the two get away and get back days, most people are in their villages and don't use their cars, and during the festival there is more actual enforcement of the laws. I find that in the villages people are pretty respectful and if you express you really don't want to get wet, they will respect your wishes and just poor a little water on your hands and offer you a drink. But what the heck, I'm 65 don't work and take part in the fun, its a little water cools you off. Every Songkran our village has a street dance where everybody walks through the street usually dancing and drinking and eventually end up at the Watt where a money tree is presented. It is great fun. If you don't enjoy getting wet, stay indoors for the duration, but if you partake, it is a lot of fun. Just be respectful, if you see someone doesn't want to get wet, respect their wishes.

I beg to differ George. I have been watching the road accident death and injury statistics over Songkhran for 25 years and can pretty much guarantee the reported spike in deaths and injuries is genuine. For the 2-3 days of the New Year itself, when most people are back in their home towns/villages, there is still a much higher than average death/injury rate because people are driving round high on drink & adrenalin (and in some cases, other substances), putting themselves and others at an elevated risk of accident. It is the booze, however, that mostly kills and when you are pissed and having fun, you tend to leave the old "Safety First" thoughts at home (not that they were ever much more than foolish farang notions to be ignored in the first place).

And to say that because people mostly don't use their cars, is nonsense, with the best will in the world. They very much do use their cars, to go off to see friends, hit the town, parade round the most crowded streets for water throwing, go to the beaches (Pattaya Isaan), bars, picnic spots, national parks, etc, and many accidents occur on those 2-3 days from careless driving. After all, it is a time to be seen and show off one's rot. But far more accidents occur, as the statistics indicate, by (mostly, but not exclusively) young people, kids, teenagers, etc, getting on motorbikes intoxicated and getting hit or hitting others. This is not just idle chat, I have seen it myself, year after year. I've seen two young guys thrown off their bike on the Roi-Et to Mahasarakham road and land many metres away from their bikes. Both were seriously injured and both pissed as farts. I lifted them on to the pick-up truck that took them to hospital. One of them had serious head injuries and it was not a pretty sight.bah.gif

I've also seen gangs of pissed teenagers on bikes roam around villages in southern Sisaket, armed with machetes, looking for other gangs to fight with. Didn't see the end result, but I can pretty much guarantee the end result was more than a wee graze on the knee for them, even if they didn't end up in a roadside ditch from losing control of the bikes on the many corners in that part of the world. Or splattered over a car windscreen. sad.png

It is a time of carnage in many villages, when old scores are settled, and people do irrational things, above and beyond the usual carnage on an average day. If anything, the stats underestimate the actual deaths and injured during Songkhran, because they only count road accidents. But if you have a nice and respectful village, where people don't drink beer, lao lao to excess and wai you before they gently pour water over your hands, as a respected elder, I am glad for you, but please don't imagine the rest of Isaan is the same utopia. wai2.gif

OP, in the time you like to be on the roads, I prefer to be off the roads = 8.4. - 19.4. lol.tongue.png

If there is not a lot of traffic, there are a lot of places where the car or you or both, will get wet.

No fun to me anymore. rolleyes.gif

Archived