Cost of importing a camera into Thailand?

The situation: There is a camera / lens combo on amazon with a price tag of $500us. I have seen the same in Bangkok at a price of 30,000b. A significant difference.

If I were to buy on amazon and have the camera delivered to Thailand, how much would I have to pay in extra fees / gov charges ?

Try this:

http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/

Bare in mind, if you use a courier like FedEx or UPS etc you will also be charged "fees".

Notes on duty & taxes rates and compliance

• Camera has an import duty rate of 3% and VAT rate of 7%, Interior Tax rate is 0%, Surcharge rate is 0% .
  • Restrictions will apply for shipping this product with courier or postal companies [High probability].Packaging and labelling requirements apply to Lithium batteries whether they are contained in the equipment or sent separately from the device. Please, contact your courier for more information. If the product has dual-use, an Export Control Classification Number (ECCN) is required [some probability].

http://www.biccamera.co.jp/language/languageselect/english.html or this one http://www.yodobashi.com/

If it costs that much more fly to japan and buy it there. They have huge huge shops in Tokyo, as big as a whole Thai mall and only electronics. Ticket to japan 20k full price.

But maybe this shop can send it to you, this is a huge one.

In Japan you get cash in hand tax refund immediatly in the shop. They also have online shops.

Not sure of current status but there used to be several gray market shops in the electronic malls where cameras from Japan market were available at much lower cost than official sources. Guarantee was by shop on a replacement basis so OK for those living here. There was large shop in the mobile phone area at Fortune Town and a smaller branch in the computer equipment section. They did not have all models but did have quite a few.

http://www.pix-one.com/

I have just brought a camera, lens filter and a bag for 29,980.00 Baht. Used Amazon dot co dot uk. Not a penny paid in taxes etc here. BUT I brought in a children's reading book, I was charged 1200.00 Baht in taxes. I told the customs to eat the book.

Got the same book a week later, sent here via DHL and nil taxes.

What a mess up is this department.

Bring it in via DHL or Amazon.

It's a lottery. If it comes in via a courier such as Fedex or DHL then it is more likely to attract duty because their process includes presenting to customs and saying "would you like to tax this?". If it is sent by post with tracking then it may or not be checked for duty upon import. If they don't pick it up, it will arrive at your door. If they do pick it up, you will get a little card from the postman and you pop down to the post office with your passport and the necessary cash and pick it up.

If you do get caught for duty, it is calculated on the cost of the goods plus the shipping charge.

Personally I prefer to purchase new cameras from my local favourite camera shop. Keeps them in business and I am assured of assistance if something goes wrong.

• 1 month later...

I've ordered a few different things from Ebay and mostly not been charged any duty.

One item i did get charged duty... and the costs worked out around 120% of the item value!! But it was something i couldn't get here in Thailand, so i had to pay it... it was a motorbike jacket that was sent via DHL

What I found is that if you have it shipped by a tracked mail service, then you probably won't be charged duty.

However, if it comes by courier, such as DHL, it will almost certainly be taxed.

Also the duty/tax is charged on the value of the item including the cost of shipping. BUT (as i descovered the hard way) the cost of shipping is not the actual cost that you paid. It is a highly inflated cost based on Volumetric weight. DHL have some magic formula on their computers that calculates this regardless of the actual shipping fee paid.

So if you receive a big sized package, by DHL they will tax you a lot more than the rate that you calculate it should be, because they exagerate the shipping cost.

Edit - i always look on lazada first

• 2 years later...

It's a lottery.
I've ordered a handbag worth 10000 ฿ from UK via DHL and was charged with 40% of it's price + 600 ฿ for some other bs.
However I live here 8 years and been ordering stuff like video gear from China and HK all the time and was never charged.

5 hours ago, jabbervog said:

It's a lottery.
I've ordered a handbag worth 10000 ฿ from UK via DHL and was charged with 40% of it's price + 600 ฿ for some other bs.
However I live here 8 years and been ordering stuff like video gear from China and HK all the time and was never charged.

A handbag is treated as a "luxury: item and attracts a very high rate of tax. It's the law. They are less bothered about lower value electronic stuff.

I've seen cameras listed at one BKK shop for 30,000 baht selling at another BKK shop for 18,000 baht.  If the OP did his pricing in one of the HiSo malls, he may be able to find the same camera at Fortune Town or on Lazada for less than the cost of importing it and paying import duties. 

I've bought some low end camcorders ($200-500) from Amazon and they do add import duties and handling charges.  They estimate up front, and refund the excess a few months later.  But the refund is never close to 100%.

Archived